iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Large log cant hook

Started by ARKANSAWYER, January 13, 2005, 06:39:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

Maybe you should call it "The Sissy Stick".   Even little girls can turn big logs. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

DextorDee

Ken
KI4BMW
North East Georgia

Frank_Pender

Kirk, I agree with you on your finacial analysis.  I sold two 60" units to our new member, Eric, a few weeks ago.   He reported, that  he got his money back on the first tree service job they were used.   The time alone that his crew save was worth the investment.   ;D

Is my copy of the model in the mail?
Frank Pender

Kirk_Allen

Thanks for the confirmation Frank.  All to often I find situations where folks have overlooked the cost of time wasted.  Some just chalk it up to the way of doing business. 

After runnng the numbers I think I can comfortably say that for a one person operation this may very well be one of the most valuable tools I use.  It saves my back 8)  It saves my energy 8) 8)  It saves me Time 8) 8) 8) and when you combine all those together it saves me money 8) 8) 8) 8)

I got a call last week from a guy that has a 40" Red Oak to cut.  Thinking my old way, I told him there would have to be an extra charge because of the time it takes to handle such a large log.  Just getting it on the hooks can take LOTS of time and especially if you have a branch flat on one side.  It can be real tough to get that log to roll off of that flat!

Well now with the New Log Rite Pinky I can still charge for oversize logs but I no longer have to kill myself doing it and I will save loads of time.  Another example of profit gained through inginuity 8)

We do similiar things with our Nozzle business.  We have not raised our prices since introduction in 1992.  We have simply found better and faster ways to machine our parts, thus keeping our cost of manufacturing lower.  The Log Rite Pinky is along the same lines for my milling business.  My cutting time is still the same but the HANDLING time is going to be WAY DOWN 8) 8) 8)

Kevin, Words cant explain how excited I am about this tool.  I am looking forward to those big logs!  I have to go out and inspect a job this afternoon that looks real promising.  3-4 foot DBH Black Walnut 8) 8) 8)  I can move those hummers now 8) 8)

Bibbyman

Time is one thing .... Safety is another...

I don't know how many hundreds of times I've had and or see close calls when a cant hook slipped and something went the wrong way.  Not to mention just a stumble or the log rolling back against your shins when the hook pulled out. 

Now the LogRite hooks work great.  But I think the older cant hooks worked well too.  Especially when they were properly sharpened.   

The new hooks (other than LogRite) I've seen, bought and used are junk.  I'm going to gather all of them up and take them to an auction.
Sawing since '94

DouginUtah

Something powerful. Something that turns.

I'm gonna get me a Twister*.

*The Twister
brand LogRite cant hook.

-Doug
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Frank_Pender

Hey ya Bibby, send them this way.  I will hang them on my collection wall with a special note as to where they came from and from whom.   That way they can have special identification and all as they should. 8) 8) 8)
Frank Pender

Jeff

It would be cheaper to send them here. ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bibbyman

Quote from: Bibbyman on March 03, 2005, 12:07:52 PM

The new hooks (other than LogRite) I've seen, bought and used are junk I'm going to gather all of them up and take them to an auction.

Sorry Jeff, Frank,   I couldn't do that to either one of you.  They are not colectabe (or I'd keep them),  they are not safe or useful.  They are JUNK compaired to LogRite hooks.  But some other fool I don't know will probably buy them and pay too much.
Sawing since '94

Pete J

Ha Ha Ha Ha

The TURNANATOR! Love it!

Bibby, the highest price you can fetch with those old cant hooks is at an antique shop in Vermont. All the rich folk love to display old stuff on the walls of their ski houses. They can point to them and say, people used tools like that in the olden days. It impresses the Mid-Town Manhattan city folk.

WH_Conley

Bibby, bury em in the mud for a while and let the handle rot about half out, should bring double. ;D
Bill

KiwiCharlie

Hi Kevin,
Ive been following this thread with interest, as I move (or try to!) some large stumps around for slabbing.
Whats the shipping options to NZ?!
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

neslrite

ARKANSAWYER SUPER STICK 

P/N   AS*078   

Charlie:
I will get you a price to NZ  :o
If I had known I could have sent one back with Rex from Peterson, but I think you would have had a hard time getting it from him ;D
rule#1 nobody ever puts just one nail in a tree  LogRite Tools  www.logrite.com

Kirk_Allen

Arkansawyer Super Stick.  Sounds great.  Sounds like Arky's gettin some royalties ;D

tnlogger

ARKANSAWYER SUPER STICK   a moment in history  ;D 
gene

ARKANSAWYER

MERCY SAKES!!  I leave the state and cross the Big River for a week and look what happens.  I do not care what color it comes in I just need a large log hook.  I do Like the name ARKANSAWYER SUPER STICK.   Soon no one will be sawing with out their A. S. S.  :D  WoodMizer will need them painted Orange and all portable sawyers will be dragging their A. S. S.  every where with their mills. ;)  We all know the biggest A. S. S. 's get their way in what every they do. ::)
  It was the design of the point of LogRite cant hooks that got me started on them to design a large log cant hook. (being on the FF helped too)  I found a old hand made hook in the woods deer hunting and it soon became the most used hook I have.  It is not as pretty as my other hooks but becase it bit in better and held better it got used more.  Now I have a new LogRite hook and do not use my others any more.  Soon I will have a A. S. S. and can roll what ever I want.

JUST REMEMBER WITH YOUR A. S. S. IT IS ALL IN THE BITE!

now if my hook will just get here.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Frank_Pender

Just make sure it does not come around and bite you in the... 8) 8) 8)
Frank Pender

Bibbyman

Arkansawyer Sissy Stick still comes out A.S.S.  :D
Sawing since '94

Kirk_Allen

:D :D :D :D :D :D  :D :D
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Oh my gosh my ribs hurt :'( :'( :'(

Kirk_Allen

Arky,
Left the state and crossed the big river?  Tell me you didnt go to WM last week for that class and not call or stop by :o  If you went across 70 you were 10 minutes south of our place just before you got into Indiana, assuming thats where you went.   

Captain

Holy smokes, I don't think Kevin realized what the acronym would come out to!!

I like it!!

I was at LogRite today, saw the tubing.  I think my AS*078PV is there in pieces somewhere.... ::)

Gives a new meaning to the phrase "bet your a**"

Captain

ARKANSAWYER

No Kirk I was not in Indy.  I was about 40 miles north of Memphis and found logs there just laying by the road just out of Memphis that could use a A. S. S. for sure.

I just do not know what to think about city folk just leaving good logs just a laying around like that.  Tempeted to take Wanda on the next trip to clean up around there.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

MemphisLogger

See why I don't pay for logs  ;)
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Minnesota_boy

Arky,
You missed your opportunity!  Yesterday I met a truck with his load sort of cobbled on the truck and was wondering why it was done that way.  A couple miles further I came to a corner and found out why.  Half his load was laying scattered in the ditch, spanning about 300 yds.  If you had been quick, you and your mill could have cleaned up!  Of course it was mostly pulp sticks, but what a mess to clean up.  There was a diferent truck there this morning and tonight every stick was gone.  Wonder if they work for the same company?  ;D :D :o
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

ARKANSAWYER

Well my wife tells me timing is every thing.  I personaly know that being at the right place at the right time can really work for a man.  But I am finding out that I can not be every place all the time.  :(
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Thank You Sponsors!