iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Large log cant hook

Started by ARKANSAWYER, January 13, 2005, 06:39:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARKANSAWYER

Several times a year while on portable sawmill jobs I need to move a big log to get it to the mill.  Nothing around but strong backs and cant hooks to move the log.  I busted 3 handles last year alone.   I have one old home made hook with dogwood handle (the handle is cracked on it now) that will grab and trun the biguns.  I need a hook that will trun Arkansas size logs.
  I got a hold of LogRite and we are using my old hook as a pattern for a Arky size log cant hook.   How many of you could use such a cant hook like this? ???  It will be for large logs like 30 inches and will grab and hold safely to roll them.  It may not be a hook needed every day but when needed it will be worth every coin and may save the day as well as your back and pride.
  Any imput would be helpful as we design this hook.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Bibbyman

Make it YELLOWISHRED!  ;D

Have you tried the LogRite with 60" handle?  Works pretty good out for us.  We've about all but retired our cant hook wiht 6' handle.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Percy

:D :D :DARKY SIZED CANT HOOK :D :D :D your killin me here :D :D :D :D :D Seriously though, a handle that was very strong with some flex in it would be cool(mebey 7 feet??). Im thinkin that would get the ARKY sized logs a rollin. LIke Bibby says...yellowishred ;D ;D ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

beav

I mostly use a 6' crowbar to move large to medium size logs. When up on sleepers, the crowbar between the ground and the log gives extreme leverage and can move one side a little to line it up perfectly with the loading arms. So I vote the handle be made from serious steel,perhaps just from a crowbar. maybe the hook could be easily removable.
   over the years I have probably worn out a half dozen cant hooks and don't really even use them any more. I find that if the job is set up properly, a good rolling kick will plop most logs onto the loading arms.
   As for color I'll come right out and say  ORANGE ;D

Kirk_Allen

If I understand you rigth Dave your talking about a different hook more than just a handle.  

My answer is YES.  I have about 20 of those 30" logs in my yard now and the 5' cant hook I have simply is not big enough to do it safely.  The hook seems to need more depth in the ark because of the size of the log.

Im interested!

Bibbyman

The tool I need developed is one that can lever a log forward or backward on the deck of the mill.  We are using a 6' rock bar now.  It works pretty good but slips and slides on the bed rail.  

What it needs is a bar about 6' long with a pivot point to stick into the log and a swivel socket where it rides on the rail.  The interface with the rail needs to be such that it won't slip when down and back/fort pressure is applied.  I think the socket that sets on the rail needs to be able to slide up and down the bar from say 10" to 16" from the end to accommodate logs of different diameter – i.e. different distances to center line of the log to the rail.

Yea,  we got rollers but most short logs don't fall on both rollers.  Even then, knots, bumps, etc. will hang up on a rail preventing easy rolling of log by hand.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Larry

Faster, easier, and safer at a reasonable cost....yea I'd be interested.  Better send me a prototype so I can make sure it will work on bigger Missouri trees. ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Captain

I'll get with Kevin on the prototype...sounds like fun..... 8)

Captain

Ianab

This is my Peterson hook, it's all steel so it's pretty heavy, but no way you would break it. If I cant move a log with this.. I move the mill  ;D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ARKANSAWYER

:D :D :D :D  What a hoot!
  The differance is that size does really matter.  But Jeff you have got it about right.

ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

EZ

My big cant hook works really well, but I cant make a strong enough handle for it, well I have made a strong handle except it weighs to much. I've rolled some of them 40 inch logs with it and the hook stays where I put it. Hate to hang it up, but if they could make one like it I probably would.
EZ

Kirk_Allen

Jeff that is too funny 8)

I can hear Arky saying it like it was Memorex!

Good photo of the cant hook we need Arky.  I have one like that from my grandfather but dont want to break the handle.  Its part of my antique tool collection.

MemphisLogger

Arky,

I'm all about it if you get LogRite to make some.  :)

I cold hammered the hook on one of my Peavey brand hooks so that it would bite on bigger logs but have since broken four 6 ft handles. (Actually, I didn't break them, every time it was overzealous tree workers ganging up on the same handle.)  ::)

Fortunately, one of the biggest handle mills in the country is a couple blocks from my shop and they don't mind throwing me scraps if I throw them some  ;D

I'm sure we'll all be notified in a timely manner should you get 'em done.  ;)

Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Fla._Deadheader

We make our own. Use a wheelbarrow Handle from Home Depot in the BIG one. It is about 40" long and you DON'T want to get in a log rollin contest with Ed. The handle looks like Mahogany, but, is much heavier.

If the rain isn't too bad tomorrow, I'll take some photos.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

arj

I got a replacement hook from Pevey in Maine, 12" standard western duck bill, the hook works good on 36" logs but the handle is not strong enough. I`d be interested in a logrite version.
                          arj

rebocardo

I would think a 1/4 wall aluminum handle would be pretty hard to bend and would be fairly light.

Oregon_Sawyer

I am supposed to get a Log rite with the 60' handle from Frank.  He said He got me one for Christmas.  When I told my son the first thing he wanted to know is if it would grab those great big logs.

Tomorrow I will go see if I can find Frank.  Sounds like several of use need a bigger one.

The idea of a bar to pivot off the mill bed sounds like a great idea also.  I use a rock bar for the same purpose.  I kept breaking my peavy hook handles.

I'll have to try that LoRite out Sat.  I am supposed to cut some black walnut for a winery.  The butt log will probably have to be split in half.

Last sat I showed up and it was snowing like crazy and blowing sideways.  We decided to try another day.

Loren
Sawing with a WM since 98. LT 70 42hp Kubota walk behind. 518 Skidder. Ramey Log Loader. Serious part-timer. Western Red Cedar and Doug Fir.  Teamster Truck Driver 4 days a week.

etat

I got an idea.

It shouldn't be hard to make a  composite handles for them big ones.  Maybe a lightweight aluminum shell with a fiberglass core.  Or a fiberglass handle with an aluminum core.  Or maybe real high tech like maybe a real big graphite handle like some of them fishing rods except much larger diamater.   You  might could get away with a hollow core with the graphite if the walls was thick enough.  Maybe incorporate some kevlar or aluminum with the graphite.  Maybe some titanium if ya wanted to spend a bunch a money.

Done right it shouldn't  weight nothing and won't break no matter how big the log or how many people pulling on it. What ya think?
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

ARKANSAWYER

cktate is a thinking now.  I can see the smoke arising. ;D

The log rite hook that I have has a good size collar that holds the hook to the shaft.  When placed on the bed rail you can pry againt a backstop and move the log.  No dent to handle but now I have blue paint on my mill. :(
  You would think that out west them boys would have BIG hooks just a laying around.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Hokiemill

MemphisLogger

Hey Charles, hows about a fiberglass impregnated fire-hardened Mississippi Mud?  :D :D
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Pete J

It's just been my personal experience that if you have the right hook geometry and it's sharp, The size of the actual hook doesn't need to vary that much. That said, I've used LogRite cant hooks and peaveys with our standard size hooks routinely on 36" to 40" logs. Bigger than that wouldn't fit on the WoodMizer so I haven't moved bigger logs around.

But, for you folks that just need something bigger, just leave it to ol' Kevie Boy. He's got something up his sleeve that is bound to satisfy your needs. Whether it makes it to production from the drawing board it a whole nother matter. :D

neslrite

Now all we need is a contest!

Name the new tool ;D

The "ARKYMATIC2000"
or
"PROARKY GRADE"
Of course it would only come in hot pink!
Per Tamiam
Kevin
rule#1 nobody ever puts just one nail in a tree  LogRite Tools  www.logrite.com

neslrite

As our crack  Arkansaw R and D team works on this issue, the bean counters at the home office want to know how much would you be willing to pay for a 6 or 7 ft tool with a bigger hook?
Kevin
rule#1 nobody ever puts just one nail in a tree  LogRite Tools  www.logrite.com

Thank You Sponsors!