iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

debarker for small pine

Started by lamar, January 11, 2005, 07:30:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lamar

I keep trying to find a cheapo way to rig up a simple debarker for those small dia pines to wmall for milling. Then I can take a load in to be treated. 6" on the large end and under .Anyone have any ideas? THANKS,LARRY

Bro. Noble

Many years ago,  I had a bulletin from a university in the south---Ga I believe,  that told how to make a "tight chain peeler.  It was two metal discs on a shaft that had chains stretched between the two discs.  The chains were attached near the rim of the discs,  but one end was near the edge and the other end was set back a couple of inches from the rim.  The adjacent chain was fastened so that it was slanted the other way.  When the drum was spinning,  the chains made a shallow V between the discs allowing the post to be rubbed back and forth in the V peeling the bark.  I have no idea how well it worked.  I bought a commercial post peeler and lost my a$$ on the deal.  

I know I did a sorry job of describing the peeler,  but maybe a search on 'tight chain peeler'  would bring results.

We have three old silage choppers.  The knives are mounted between two discs on a shaft like the above mentioned peeler.  They are ready to hook up to a tractor and are on wheels.  If I were going to peel a few posts I'd try rubbing them right on those chopper knives.  The only thing you would have to do would be to loosen the knob and hinge the cover back.  And make sure no one from OSHA was looking :D   If a guy were going to make a tight chain peeler,  I'd start with an old silage chopper.  You could buy one (or three) cheap and I can tell you where ;D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

lamar

Hi,Noble. I like the idea of the chain and discs but not sure how it would be made.I might try looking it up like you said.Its funny about using a old chopper.I farmed in Mimm. and used an old one that was worn out but it sure worked great for chopping straw bales for bedding.,good thing osha was around though.Its a little hard to find real farm equipment down here.Wish I had that 50$ one now.I think it would work.

Ralph_C

lamar

Thank You Sponsors!