iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree Volume & Value question

Started by Kirk_Allen, January 11, 2005, 03:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirk_Allen

I have a person in Indiana that has a walnut tree that we are trying to determine the volume of but the calculators only go to a 40: DIB.

This tree is 64" DIB and straight as an arrow for 65 feet where it hits its first branch.  Its another 10 feet after that branch before two mor branches.  It is a veneer grade log in my humble opinoin.

Does anyone have the formula for determing BF in such a tree.  

Thanks

Ianab

Jeffs online one at http://www.timberbuyer.net/sawlogbf.htm or thru the toolbox icon over on the left will let you input bigger numbers and still get sensible answers.

I did try putting the tree we visited last week in... I got the right sort of answer, but had to scroll the result box to see it all. I dont think Jeff figured on logs scaling out over 100,000 bf  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Kirk_Allen

The online calculator you mention is for BF in a log which utilizes the small end of the log.  

The "Tree" volume calculator, I assume, uses the DIB measurement and it only goes up to 40".  If I knew the actual formula I could input the appropriate number and figure the volume in the tree.

This is the calculator for Tree Volume
https://forestryforum.com/calcs/Board%20foot%20calculator.htm

ronwood

Kirk,

You can look at the Javacript on that link to see how it is calculated. On IE select View and Source and the JavaScript is shown. Might not be easy to go thru if you have never programed.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Ron Wenrich

The calculators don't use the small end of a log.  It is based on the amount of taper.  It doesn't figure a 2 log 30" tree is going to taper down to a 10" dib at the end of 2 logs.  It will taper to a set formula.

I didn't put in a top end to the dbh.  I had a stand that had several trees over 40" and my book ran out.  I then had to recreate those formulas.  The calculator does all that.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Ianab

I guess if you can estimate the diameter at the top of the trunk, then divide the trunk into a series of tapering logs and work out the volume of each 16 foot section, you should get a good approximation?
The problem with a tree size calculater is... is the tree 50 ft tall or 150 ft tall.
You can make a generalisation based on average tree sizes in an area..... but for one exceptional tree, you really have to measure it dont you?

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Used to like measuring those sitka spruce on the west coast to. Let's see, 95 inch dbh and 100 ft to the first branch, 250 ft to the top. There mine, all mine. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!