iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

KQ2 Ag. and Farm Expo - Jan 28,29 04 St. Joe. Mo

Started by Bibbyman, January 10, 2005, 06:59:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

Anyone going to this farm show in St. Joseph, Mo. at the end of the month?  

We've not been to this show before.  It's not that far away and we may go... if the weather is right.  If it's nice,  we'll probably stay home and saw.  If it's bad,  we'll probably stay home and feed the fire.  If it's just too nasty to saw but the roads are clear.... ???

Wood-Mizer will be there with an outdoor and indoor demonstration.  I didn't see this one on Baker's show schedule.  It's in TimberKing's back door but I don't know if they'll show.  I'll check and see. :o
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

I just got an e-mail back from Will Johnson of TimberKing.

He said they won't have a booth at the show but people could stop in at their KC office while their in the area.
Sawing since '94

Larry

Since WM is going to show up this year the farm show sounds much more interesting than what it has been in the past....I'll plan on being there.

They used to charge an admission fee but I could usually wrangle free tickets from one of the friendly implement dealers.  I check with one of them later this week.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Bibbyman

I think the Wood-Mizer note said the admission fee was $1. - unless you were under 5.  
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

Looks like we're going to try to make it down on Friday.  Anyone else going on Friday?
Sawing since '94

Larry

Friday works for me...what time ya expect to be up here?

I'll meet ya at the WM display.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Bibbyman

Might get there as early as 10:00 when they open but we're thinking noon for sure.

Are you going to hold off the ice and snow until we get out of town?
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

We'd about bailed out of going to the show in St. Joe.  They were predicting ice, sleet, snow and a poor road conditions.  But Wednesday evening ol'buddy Chris Hooten of Wood-Mizer called and asked if we could bring a few logs to the show.  So,  Thursday Mary loaded on 6 cedar, 1 white oak, 1 red oak, and one cherry log.  About 4:30 Friday morning we were on the road – arriving about 9:30.

Something new for us!  The new LT40SHD42 Super was set up on the sidewalk in the entrance of the convention center right smack downtown.  We parked on the street and rolled the logs onto the sidewalk and offbeared back onto the truck.

Down the street a couple of blocks is where Jessie James was assassinated by a friend. (some friend).  Just below that is where the start of the Pony Express.

Wood-Mizer had an LT15 set up inside along with their display material.  They didn't saw on it.

As the was a farm show,  there wasn't much about forestry there.  Wood-Mizer was the only sawmill manufacture represented.  From talking to a good number of people,   I get the idea St. Joseph is not a Mecca of the forest industry – although American Walnut is just down the street. 

We did talk to a number of Wood-Mizer owners from Kansas and Nebraska that came in to get blades, parts and visit.  Larry Copas showed up about 11:00 and visited with us until after lunch.

The weather, although only barely above freezing, was not nearly as bad as they had predicted – most of the "bad stuff" going south.  Mary and I grabbed a room in the Holiday Inn just one block away and just left the truck parked on the street in front of the convention center.  After dark we did get a little dusting of snow but it only whitened the grass and rooftops and left the streets wet.

Next morning,  Will Baugh,  Mary and I walked up to Papa Joe's and had breakfast together.   Quite a place.  Paneled in weathered barn siding and trimmed out and all kinds of custom made benches, shelves, and tables.  The food was great too!

I picked up some real inside scoop stuff on what's going on with Wood-Mizer.  I'll post it under the Sawmill thread.
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

Here are a few more pictures ...
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!