iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old Downed Trees

Started by Wannafish, January 10, 2005, 05:56:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wannafish

I have 2 white pine that were cut 5 years ago.  They were left off the ground, full length, resting on their limbs.  The butt of one is 28" and solid; the other I cut about 10' off of, butt is still about 26", and has a hollow spot about 6" in dia.  The outside of each is still solid.  

Should these be alright to make lumber out of, or have they been down too long?  I'd hate to cut them up for firewood :'(
I want to use the lumber for covering up paneling inside of a room.  Should be pretty if the wood is still good.

Any advise would be appreciated.
May God bless all of you -
Rick

Mark M

I myself would give anything for a couple of whitepine logs, old or not so I would definatly try doing something with them. Cut a foot or so off the bottom and then make another cut at whatever length board you want plus 6". If it is solid and not showing decay then there should be no problem. Keep doing this until you hit decay. I've sawed some standing dead ponderosa pine and it was great!

Mark

Wannafish

Thanks Mark!
Just the kind of info I was looking for.
Rick

Mark M

Hi Rick

Well they say it's best to cut as soon as possible after cutting the trees but all the stuff I get is dead, dying, blown down, on the ground for a year, crooked, you name it. I still get some pretty nice lumber and have a lot of fun.

Here is some old dead cedar I sawed

Wannafish

Wow Mark - that's beautiful !

We have ~ 60 acres of Cedar swamp but it's all white cedar.  While it is pretty, it doesn't hold a candle to your Red !
Rick

Dana

Expect a lot of pine beatle holes in the wood. The holes are about the diamater of a pencil. I wouldn't use the lumber for anything structural but for trim ect. will add character.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

WV_hillbilly

Mark  

I think those are some really nice boards you cut there even if it was a  old dead one . I think I'm goning to saw some logs that are  supposedly firewood just see what the insides look like . Ya never know  It could be boards , or it might still be firewood . ;D
Hillbilly

Mark M

That white cedar makes nice paneling, it brings top dollar at the home centers.

What kinda saw you got Rick?

Wannafish

Mark,
Only chainsaws at this time.  I'm looking but don't really know what I want.  I found a 1996 Wood Mizer LT40 SHyd w/resaw and shingle siding attachment locally that supposedly has only 650 hrs for $16,500.  Seems like a lot of money for a 9 year old saw...but then again, it's a lot of saw!

Probably about the time I commit to it, it will be gone...but I will still have my wife. ;D
Rick

Avalancher

QuoteMark,
Only chainsaws at this time.  I'm looking but don't really know what I want.  I found a 1996 Wood Mizer LT40 SHyd w/resaw and shingle siding attachment locally that supposedly has only 650 hrs for $16,500.  Seems like a lot of money for a 9 year old saw...but then again, it's a lot of saw!

Probably about the time I commit to it, it will be gone...but I will still have my wife. ;D

Build you a chainsaw mill for about $300 bucks. They are slow but they get the job done. After your wife sees all that pretty "free" wood showing up and all the stuff you build she will be twice as supportive. I know, that is what I had to do. Started with a chainsaw mill, air dryed my stuff in the attic of the shop, made her a bunch of nice picnic tables, porch swing, etc.
Next thing ya know she approves of the funds for a solar kiln, new bandsaw mill, planer, etc.
 8)

Thank You Sponsors!