iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log maintenance on home

Started by dgrover13, December 15, 2017, 11:41:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgrover13

Not sure exactly where this post should go, but hoping to see if anyone has any insight on what type of maintenance goes into a log home (pictured below). 

This is a hand crafted home - with half log siding on full exterior, and part of the home is half log interior.  Fully insulated.

Home was built in 1993 - and from what I can see, logs appear to be in good shape.

I am hoping others here can provide insight on what I should be looking for in the logs?

• Obvious mildew build up causes blackness.  There appears to be very little here on exterior or interior
  • There appears to be a flexible material in between each log.  Overall appears like it has weathered well, but not sure when or how often it needs replacing
  • Stain - it appears to be in good shape.  My guess it has been done every 5 years. 

Any thoughts/help appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

-Darren

Grizzly

I'm just here to say; Nice place!

Now I'll let the knowledgeable fellows speak.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Ron Scott

~Ron

Don P

Just generally, look carefully at the lower logs and wood around the deck splash zone. It looks like some discoloration on the deck against the house. Does it gather leaves there?
The penetrations on the tall end wall in the pic, again keep an eye out in splash or runoff places, places water can collect.
Window sills, butt joints in the logs, the end grain is the quick way for water to get into the wood, look for waterstaining wicking into end grain mostly low but anywhere it can get in and be trapped against end grain, those corner posts after a heavy rain for example. Holes in the caulking can admit water and trap it there. Basically just wandering and watching.
Don't use film forming finishes, the finish should repel water but allow any moisture that does get in to escape. A shiny thick coat is a compost bag.

jaygtree

you can call edmonds log restoration in washburn wi and pick their brain. there web site is restorelogs.com        jg
i thought i was wrong once but i wasn't.   atv, log arch, chainsaw and ez boardwalk jr.

Thank You Sponsors!