iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sequioa Mills SM-120

Started by bbaley, December 14, 2017, 01:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbaley

Hi all,
Anyone here have personal experience with the SM-120 mill from Sequoia Mills ?

I am considering purchasing one and looking for insight or comments from those who have actually used or owned one.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

york

Albert

Rodman

Bbaley I just picked up my new upgraded sm 120 on Nov 24th. As York said they are a small family business. Neil & Lisa are great to deal with & helpful. I was able to visit & see the sm 130 in action, which impresed me. I choose to add the trailer, log loader, 14 hp engine & 20' total of track. Which allows me to cut a 17'-6" log. I was able to cut up a couple 8' x 15" dia cottonwood logs when I got it home to my place in Castlegar BC. I had never ran one before, but i've been reading alot of the stuff on here, which helped. It preformed good. Cut a bunch of 4/4 × 6" & 8" wide which came out all the same dimension. The main reason I chose a sequoia was that everything is welded together. I didn't like the idea of stuff being bolted together. Also it's a pretty simple machine, with not much stuff to go wrong with it. It will cut a 24" log & a 24" slab. Where are you located? What is your plan for it? I will be using mine to FINALLY finish my cabin that I started about 5 years ago. I have a 30' x 20' post & beam structure that I built over my travel trailer, that I will turn into a cabin. If you look at their Facebook page I believe mine is the last one they posted. There is a few pictures that might help. Hope this helps

scsmith42

This past year I was asked to be an expert witness in a case that a fellow local miller brought against Sequoia.  The case settled out of court a day before the trial.

I've looked over the one that was involved in the lawsuit and noticed some serious design flaws.  Their mill never would cut correctly and Sequoia ultimately had to buy it back from the other miller.  Sequoia is still making payments on that buy back, so their pockets are not that deep.

I would advise against making a purchase.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

bbaley

Quote from: Rodman on December 14, 2017, 07:55:38 PM
Bbaley I just picked up my new upgraded sm 120 on Nov 24th. As York said they are a small family business. Neil & Lisa are great to deal with & helpful. I was able to visit & see the sm 130 in action, which impresed me. I choose to add the trailer, log loader, 14 hp engine & 20' total of track. Which allows me to cut a 17'-6" log. I was able to cut up a couple 8' x 15" dia cottonwood logs when I got it home to my place in Castlegar BC. I had never ran one before, but i've been reading alot of the stuff on here, which helped. It preformed good. Cut a bunch of 4/4 × 6" & 8" wide which came out all the same dimension. The main reason I chose a sequoia was that everything is welded together. I didn't like the idea of stuff being bolted together. Also it's a pretty simple machine, with not much stuff to go wrong with it. It will cut a 24" log & a 24" slab. Where are you located? What is your plan for it? I will be using mine to FINALLY finish my cabin that I started about 5 years ago. I have a 30' x 20' post & beam structure that I built over my travel trailer, that I will turn into a cabin. If you look at their Facebook page I believe mine is the last one they posted. There is a few pictures that might help. Hope this helps

Rodman - yes I have spoken with them a few times and they are very nice and helpful. One of the reasons I am considering buying their product, they pick up the phone, answer emails and will spend time with you on use/setting up their equipment. Also I am in Washington state as they are so buying local and being local means a lot to me. I've been to Castelgar a number of times - nice area !  The purpose for the mill is for projects much like you have mentioned, lumber and beams for small timber framing projects, siding for sheds and processing of timber on my property and friends with property near me, etc.

Did you find that the 14hp engine upgrade was worth it considering the amount and type of milling you do ?

bbaley

Quote from: scsmith42 on December 15, 2017, 10:39:41 AM
This past year I was asked to be an expert witness in a case that a fellow local miller brought against Sequoia.  The case settled out of court a day before the trial.

I've looked over the one that was involved in the lawsuit and noticed some serious design flaws.  Their mill never would cut correctly and Sequoia ultimately had to buy it back from the other miller.  Sequoia is still making payments on that buy back, so their pockets are not that deep.

I would advise against making a purchase.

Thank you for the info - not sure I would necessarily count that against them though, I mean it sounds like they are doing the right thing by buying back the mill with an issue. Any mfg can and does have occasional issues and problems - I would expect this to happen occasionally from any mfg.

Without knowing what your perceived design flaw is - it is hard to know what to make of it with regard to my purchase decision.

Bruno of NH

The mill and company got brought up on a FB group I'm on.
Once you put a down payment on the mill they stop answering the phone and emails when the customer asks for an up date on the delivvery.
I would look at other options
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Rodman

Bbaley I upgraded to the 14 hp because it is electric start & charges the battery for the log loader. I got the log loader for future use. As I have a bobcat for loading at my property where the cabin will be. I went with them because they are only 2.5 hours from me. I was able to visit & see the sm 130 in action. Seeing them operated in person was better than watching a video. I spent 2 hours there on a Sunday with Neil answering all my questions about his mills.

I agree 100% with your comments about the other manufacturers.

As per the emails & phone calls, I have been in contact with them for the last month. They have always replied or answered when I contact either of them.

redbeard

There are 3 Sequoia Mills close too meet and I have met the owners and I hear nothing but positive from them. I have seen the Mills in action and they are built very sturdy.
I do remember a FF member having problems with his mill and never did hear the final results. I believe it was a isolated incident, hopefully things worked out.
If there were major problems with manufacturing and performance there would be lots of negative press out there on the web.
Sequoia Mills are very affordable manual Mills that mill nice straight boards n beams.
I also have talked to Neil and found he and his wife run a very professional operation.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Jeff

Good to hear Redbeard. I was hoping this was going to sort itself out.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!