iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Soderhamn Forwarder anybody know anything?

Started by modifier, December 14, 2017, 09:55:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

modifier

I can't find any info online about Soderhamn Forwarders.  Someone said they were really popular at one point, probably in the 70s.  Anybody know anything about them?  Used to run them?  Still have one?

Thanks

mike_belben

Im guessing that style of forwarder was all built from tractors with ground speed PTOs?  Can you disengage the rears on them?
Praise The Lord

modifier

I don't know. It's not mine; someone is trying to sell it.  He doesn't know much about it either.  I think he just stumbled on it and doesn't need it.  He said it has a Detroit, but didn't know which model.  Do forwarders usually have a disengaging rear axle? If it did what would that tell you?  Looks like it's missing the blade on the front.  Not good pics but the grapple looks to be in good shape.  Not sure if that is very weathered red paint or no paint left rust.

Quote from: mike_belben on December 14, 2017, 11:00:42 AM
Im guessing that style of forwarder was all built from tractors with ground speed PTOs?  Can you disengage the rears on them?

Stoneyacrefarm

I'm thinking it would look good in MY yard!  8)
Work hard. Be rewarded.

mike_belben

Looking closer i see planetary hubs which indicate it was purpose built as a skidder/forwarder, not a repurposed ag tractor.

No, forestry drivelines dont normally disengage the rear that im aware of.  Some ag tractors had ground speed PTO rather than a 540/1000 pto.  A driveshaft going to another rear diff with the same ratio as the first could make the machine into a 4wd of sorts.  Im not certain if the ground pto reversed direction when you went backward.  Id hope so.  Anyhow europeans made all sort of tractors into all sort of timber fetchers.  I thought it might be one of those at first glance.

And i agree, itd look great here on my lawn too.
Praise The Lord

modifier

Yeah I think it was a factory built logging machine.  He said it's a lot like a timberjack.  I asked it they were Rockwell or Eaton axles and he said they were Eatons.  Also a high low transfer case and 4 speed transmission.  I saw one little photo online or a different Soderhamn and it had a big S on the nose making me think he wasn't just getting the name wrong.  Maybe not as common as he said or you would think there might be something else out there on them. If they have any dedicated parts I guess you can forget about finding any of those. He thinks it's a 353 motor.

Corley5

They don't have much of a roof over the operator.  The danger from falling debris is very real.  I've seen some with a three post canopy like early Iron Mules.  This one looks like it might have four.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

modifier

Kind of skinny looking tubing, so better be careful

Quote from: Corley5 on December 15, 2017, 10:38:41 AM
They don't have much of a roof over the operator.  The danger from falling debris is very real.  I've seen some with a three post canopy like early Iron Mules.  This one looks like it might have four.

Puffergas

Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Southside

Well, it does not look all stove up, so if mechanically it's decent it may be a good machine for a small operation, but yea - I would do some work to close in that cab, personally all the way around it, stuff comes up almost as hard as it comes down. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

ironmule2004

I think the man that created/manufactured these machines is named edgar hodges from Sylacauga Alabama.  Seems like machine had a mfg tag that said Rockford Alabama.

modifier

There might have been a couple factories or they moved, but a guy who has a 67 thinks his was made in Talladega, Alabama. I'd have to look but maybe close to Rockford.

Quote from: ironmule2004 on December 18, 2017, 12:46:33 AM
I think the man that created/manufactured these machines is named edgar hodges from Sylacauga Alabama.  Seems like machine had a mfg tag that said Rockford Alabama.

mike_belben

I think my nassco timber forklift was made in alabama too. 
Praise The Lord

logman81

So this is the same forwarder the guy is thinking about trading me for my c4b.
Precision Firewood & Logging

Puffergas

I thought about buying one this summer. The owner had if for 30 or fourth years. He said that he only used it a few times. Set most of the time. Slow machine. If I didn't have so many machines in need of overhaul, all ready, I would have bought it. I know another man that uses his and likes it.
Jeff

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

mike_belben

Quote from: Puffergas on September 22, 2018, 08:56:26 PM
...If I didn't have so many machines in need of overhaul...
Its crazy how fast those pile up isnt it?
Praise The Lord

woodmaker

Boy,that would be handy around the processor.
franklin q80,builtrite 40,husky 372,sachs dolmar 123, dozers,excavators,loaders,tri-axle dump trucks ,autocar tractor with dump,flatbed and detachable trailers, and 8  f350 diesels

logman81

Yeah I decided against it to far to afford the trucking. So I'll stick to selling my c4 outright.

moodnacreek

logman81

I believe it is a prentice. I also have been talking to a guy in Massachusetts that has one of the first John deere forwarder he is thinking of selling.

Puffergas

The one I looked at was missing the winch. Or it looked like it had a winch under the post of the log arm. Factory holes in the frame and a pto that was used at one time.
Jeff

logman81

WWright

Hey Logman81  I have one right here in RI Ive had it for about 20 years. It going to sell it. It needs some welding I have put thousands into it and have decided to throw in the towel and upgrade 

logman81

That's very cool I'd like to take a look sometime when you're free.

leeroyjd

Hello @wwright , how have you been? What are you going to upgrade to?
Lee

Thank You Sponsors!