iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

homemade quick attach snowplow (updated w/wing extension)

Started by 47sawdust, December 13, 2017, 12:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

47sawdust

I put this plow together last week,just in time for our first snow.It started out life as an old Fisher speedcast plow.This one is a 7 foot blade,I also have a 7½ footer that hasn't been painted yet.They work really well,having the q/a plate mounted forward on the "A" frame keeps the blade closer to the loading arms.This is my 3rd winter using this design and has held up well.
I usually have about $600.00 in materials.The plows are about 150,q/a plate 125,hoses and fittings 80,steel 100.Paint and misc. makes up the rest.Be happy to share info. if needed.

It's been cold here,so I've been doing some welding.I made a 14'' wing to kick back the snow banks.Not a monster,but didn't want to torture the plow or my loader.Seems to work better than expected and easy to install and remove.Also keeps me out of the ditches.

The photographer,my wife Fran enjoying an afternoon snowshoe.
Happy New Year to all,you make my life richer.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Crusarius

Thats pretty sweet. I wwant to modify my plow on my utv so I can slide it left to right. I don't think I have enough oomph from the UTV for a wider blade but I would like to get closer to the ditches without falling in/.

47sawdust

Crusarius,I plowed 2 winters with the 7' blade,just started plowing with the 7' 6'' plow yesterday.The extra width does make a big difference staying out of the ditches.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Crusarius

I have also contemplated a wing just for that extra space. the ditches are big enough when I go in I don't get out.

btulloh

Nice work.  Having the snow plow on quick attach is sweet thing.
HM126

Chuck White

One thing about the power angle plow on the loader is you have to have tractor enough to handle the angle!  If you have a small tractor and angle the plow it will have a tendency to push the front of the tractor sideways instead of moving the snow!

I have a JD 1023E and I've got a 6 foot quick-attach snow pusher with wings and it works pretty good!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

47sawdust

Chuck, You raise a very important point.If you are a bull and jam type you can potentially ruin your loader arms.My tractor weighs about 5500#, more with the winch on.It has 47hp.I mostly plow down hill and go easy in the wet,heavy stuff.
As always paying attention to the conditions and common sense goes a long way in keeping equipment and operator running and safe.
I haven't figured out a wing yet.We just push the banks back when they get high,slow and tiresome.
Mick

Hilltop366

Slick set up,  a link where you can check out beenthere's wing plow.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,80772.msg1229795.html#msg1229795

Also wondering if you added a crossover relief valve for the angle function?

47sawdust

Hilltop,
Just got a pm from beenthere,thanks.That is a very slick set-up.
I know a lot of people on the tractor forums talk about a crossover relief valve,but I've never used one.I just plug into a quick disconnect on the loader arms.Lines run from there to rear remote.
Mick

snowstorm

The 9 ft Fisher plows came with a cross over relife . With out it if you hit something hard enought something has to give.all my Everest plows also have them

Bruno of NH

I ran a 9 foot angle plow on my last tractor a 60 hp cab tractor for 7 years very hard on my loader. Sold the plow last year.
But I plowed for a living with it
I have a snow pusher with a trip edge coming for my new tractor.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

47sawdust

Mick

Bruno of NH

Nice work on the wing
I wish I new you wanted one I have a set for a plow I would have given you .
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

shinnlinger

I made this wing blade for my rig a few years ago.  haven't used it for the past two winters but we now have enough snow to justify it again so I dragged it out of the woods.  Its an old Meyers blade cranked hard over and attached to a homemade push plate I welded to the loader frame. It raises and lowers by curling the bucket which moves a chain run thru some pulleys.   It can push the tractor sideways but it is less of an issue when I have the rear blade down cranked the opposite way.  In this configuration I can plow a 12 foot swath at once.  For pushing back frozen banks, I'll do a "half mast" pass  and then follow up in full down position.  It really opened up my place after our last storm and was cheap and easy to make.  The bucket chain roll really works well and raising and lower the bucket doesn't effect the wing position.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

snowstorm

a easy way to make a fisher plow wider is find another one. cut whatever extra with you want and weld to each side. if going from a 8 ft to 9ft add 6" to each side. then buy a real 9ft cutting edge . that will be 5\8" thick 9ft 12" punch. you will have to drill new holes in the base angle to fit the cutting edge. cutting edges come in 6 or 8 " with 6 would be less apt to trip to often. by using a real edge not what fisher sells you will not have to add to the with of the base angle

47sawdust

For my purposes I didn't want or need a full time wider plow,just an easy on/off wing.I thought about cannibalizing a Fisher plow,but this was easier.
Same goes for a wing like shinnlinger and beenthere.My tractor goes to the woods this time of year and I don't want to do any more wrestling than necessary.
All great ideas,everyone's needs are a little different.My wife's taken to calling me a wingnut,don't want to give her anymore ammunition. ;D ;D
Mick

Thank You Sponsors!