iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Heat master repair

Started by Rob30, December 12, 2017, 10:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob30

I have been reading a lot about people making repairs on the heat master type boilers. The articles I have read talk about disassembling the boiler to make the repairs. My boiler has developed leaks around the cross tubes. Very difficult to weld, I have tried several times. So I am thinking I might have to remove the cross tubes and put in new ones, if I can figure out how others are disassembling the boilers.
As far as I can see the boiler is made up of a stainless steel tank (fire box), with stainless steel cross tubes. The outer tank does not look like it is stainless, appears to be mild steel. Disassembling the outer looks like a lot of welds to cut.
My only other idea is to cut the cross tubes out, and either put patches over the holes, or possibly make new cross tubes that leave more room on the top so I have room to weld on the inside. 

E Yoder

I would cut a section of the water jacket out right above where you need to weld the tube. You'll have to weld it back but you'll have good access to the tube.
I think the water jackets were all stainless after about 2005 or 2006.
HeatMaster dealer in VA.
G7000

mf40diesel

Just curious, what model Heatmaster are you repairing? And how many seasons on it?

Thank you. I have a g200. Just asking.
John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

Rob30

I think it is a 500 series. I bought it used, so I am not sure how many seasons on it. I believe it is a 2005 model though if my memory serves.
The boiler started leaking  a couple years ago, not very badly, but a drip now and then. Half way through last season it over heated and the drip got much worse, and another developed. It has 5 square heat exchange tubes that cross the top of the fire box. The problem with welding is there is very little room above the tube to get a rod in and weld. Plus it is very difficult to see. I am thinking of making up some kind of patch that I can put in and make it easier to weld. Trying to fill cracks with weld did not work. The other area leaking is the edge of one of the tubes. I think I can make a patch for that area fairly easily. But I will have to disconnect the boiler to make a good weld. Trying to contort myself inside the boiler and weld over head is not working. I can weld, but I am not a welder.

mf40diesel

Bummer. Sucks when that happens. I'm hoping for several uneventful years. Good luck getting her fixed up!
John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

E Yoder

Wonder if you have any record of water treatment over the years. Almost sounds like an electrolysis pitting issue going on. Hope you get it fixed.
HeatMaster dealer in VA.
G7000

Logging logginglogging

just to add to "electrolysis pitting issue" ...if this is the case and possible in some boilers I wonder is an anode rod could be used like in water heaters to protect the tank?

E Yoder

Some brands use an anode. But it leaves residue in the bottom of the tank which isn't good. The wood boiler treatment Heatmaster recommends reduces electrical conductivity which stops electrolysis. They test for free so it's well worth treating.
HeatMaster dealer in VA.
G7000

Thank You Sponsors!