iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood Mizer LT70 Super Wide (Vidjayo on da way)

Started by 4x4American, December 12, 2017, 10:12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: newoodguy78 on December 12, 2017, 11:54:00 PM
WOW those hydraulics are fast. You'll have that thing mastered in no time.Glad it's working out for ya
They need to be fast to keep the steel out of the way of the blade.  :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Resonator

"I want one of those when I grow up."
       X2    :)
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Dave Shepard

Quote from: longtime lurker on December 13, 2017, 03:45:31 AM
If I thought she could cut like that in my timbers id have to think real hard about going to the orange dark side of thin band sawyers. Impressive.

WM has a lot of experience cutting tropical hardwoods, especially with their LT300 through WM4000 series mills. There are plenty of YouTubes. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

MobileSawMilSlo

Hi

Very fast machine indeed :) I would like to see this cutting speed on European spruce and quality of boards than :)

Just one friendly suggestion ... do not use debarker this way. Slowly approach to the wood and not with that kind of speed and force. If doing it this way, debarker axle would not last more than 200 hours.

Regards, Dejan
Woodmizer LT20 mobile and TTP-600 Premium Plus
DAJK - all sawing equipment in one place

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: 4x4American on December 13, 2017, 06:30:30 AM
Ljohnsaw I'm cutting 3sided cants to feed the resaw.  Each piece that has 3 sides will get every usable piece out of it at the resaw if you notice they get stacked in the pile of the cants. 
I see, thanks for the info.  So is your resaw even faster than the mill (I don't see how! :o) or is it cutting with multiple blade (circular?)?

Also, it looks like your log clamp is a double pointed thing (two clamps side by side)?  Is there another clamp set when handling longer stock?  It's just that I thought I saw stress lift a couple cants that you might have been able to pull flat if there were clamps nearer the ends. 

But, still a VERY impressive machine.  My daughter wanted to know if I'd like to buy one to upgrade from my home built saw :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Southside

Wow - yea, wow.  Good thing those come with a remote, you would need to buy new running shoes each week to keep up with her.

By the way - does it play George Thororgood "Bad to the Bone" on it's own?   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

4x4American

Quote from: paul case on December 13, 2017, 07:59:02 AM
What kind of logs are those?

I am guessing not pecan or hickory.

PC

It's popple..which is a cluster of like 5 diff species of aspen iirc.  Theres some big tooth aspen and quaking aspen and balm of gilead and cottonwood, etc.  This is custom sawing for the pallet mill.  They don't like to saw popple down there they say it dulls their blades too fast so I reckon that must be why they send me T/T loads of the stuff. lol
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Quote from: MobileSawMilSlo on December 13, 2017, 11:12:09 AM
Hi

Very fast machine indeed :) I would like to see this cutting speed on European spruce and quality of boards than :)

Just one friendly suggestion ... do not use debarker this way. Slowly approach to the wood and not with that kind of speed and force. If doing it this way, debarker axle would not last more than 200 hours.

Regards, Dejan

I'm not sure how fast it would cut through euro spruce but this wood is a soft stringy hardwood that I'm cutting here.  Yea that's the other thing, the debarker on the 70 compared to a 40 does just what a vacuum does.  But, I think it'll last.  Percy here rigged up an air compressor to his debarker and that thing really slams into the log too and he's got over 10k hours on his mill, not sure how long his debarker been slapping logs thataway but he may chime in and bring us out of the darkness and into the light..then again his debarker is a little bit different design, but the build is very similar and it is sturdy.  Ya dig
Boy, back in my day..

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

flatrock58

I noticed the debarker was working fine on smaller logs.  I had seen a LT50 wide a few months ago where the debarker would only work on larger logs but would not come in far enough for smaller logs.
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

4x4American

Thanks Robert.

Flatrock the debarker does tickle the logs fine, its the way it's activated.  The debarker on the 40 you pretty much set it and forget it where as the debarker on the 70 you have to pretty much babysit it throughout the whole cut otherwise it won't follow the contour of the log.  I have since graduated to just holding the button in the whole time when the log is really muddy.  If the log is fairly clean looking I don't worry about it so much and if the log has some major contour changes and it's not too dirty I won't use the debarker at all because when I use the debarker I can't see where the guide arm is.
Boy, back in my day..

customsawyer

Nice looking mill. Just think you will only get better at operating it. 
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

red

It's a Monster , I say any 70 is like having two LT 40's .  Very nice machine with all the bells and whistles. Run it like you stole it .
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

WV Sawmiller

About fastest sawing I've seen. Any reason the sawdust chute is tied up in the travel mode? Looks to me like you're throwing sawdust 15-20 feet.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Percy

Quote from: 4x4American on December 13, 2017, 09:44:42 PM
Quote from: MobileSawMilSlo on December 13, 2017, 11:12:09 AM
Hi

Regards, Dejan

I'm not sure how fast it would cut through euro spruce but this wood is a soft stringy hardwood that I'm cutting here.  Yea that's the other thing, the debarker on the 70 compared to a 40 does just what a vacuum does.  But, I think it'll last.  Percy here rigged up an air compressor to his debarker and that thing really slams into the log too and he's got over 10k hours on his mill, not sure how long his debarker been slapping logs thataway but he may chime in and bring us out of the darkness and into the light..then again his debarker is a little bit different design, but the build is very similar and it is sturdy.  Ya dig
Ya my debarker can hit pretty hard the way Ive got things rigged. The design of the debarker(on my old mill) is such that the impact is not sent to the motor at all but Just the bearing that is immediatley above the debarker blade. I did have to replace that bearing once at about 8500 hours.  I am continually amazed at how little grief the debarker gives me considering the abuse it gets and all the stupid things Ive done to it.

Here is the mod I made to it back in 2013. I now have an air line from the house compressor feeding it instead of the portable 12 volt compressor. The same air supply goes to my blade strain air bag making blade tensioning/slacking a push of a button.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFpxoOZRLUs
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Dave Shepard

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on December 14, 2017, 08:57:07 AM
   About fastest sawing I've seen. Any reason the sawdust chute is tied up in the travel mode? Looks to me like you're throwing sawdust 15-20 feet.

If you leave the chute down, you are buried in about an hour. MyLT40 Super will blow dust over 25 feet. That saves shoveling near the mill.

D-U-G, looks like a hydraulic log deck would be the next bottleneck to address. But then your tailman might have trouble keeping up.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

terrifictimbersllc

4x4, youve had both LT70 and LT40 supers. 

How would you compare setup and maneuverability of the 70 to the 40, for example taking a 70 to day or part day jobs including residential jobs? 

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

4x4American

Dennis, the lt70 and lt40 are very similar in setup.  Fast and simple.  I have moved the 70 around a few times at the yard and it is almost the same thing.  Only difference on the 70 is you have the board return table to slide down and set the legs.  Doesnt take long at all.  The frame on the 70 very similar.  I think the WM's are the best in portability.  Its also a light mill I think it only weighs 5000lbs.  I have had more than that on the bed of my truck lol.  I tipped the scales at 15,300 lbs one time with a 6000lb pack of cants on back and that was definitely not the heaviest I've been on the truck. 
Boy, back in my day..

Larry

Impressive mill.  The operator ain't to shabby either! 8) 8)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

redbeard

That's a get out of the way give that room too work. Impressive mill.
The saw dust shoot will take your hat off. Thumbs up on the operator!
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

50 Acre Jim

Holy Moly!  I just watched more work get done in 5 minutes than I can do in several hours!  What a toy I have out there! 
Go to work?  Probably Knott.  Because I cant.

PAmizerman

As I was watching this I was wondering how much you sped up the video. Then as I watched longer I realized the offbearer was working at a normal speed! Wow that is very impressive. And I'm running a lt40 super remote. I can't imagine running the lt70 super.
Thanks for posting.
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

4x4American

Speed up the video! lol lol I'm lucky I figured out how to get that long video onto the internet let alone do any modifications to it lol
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

When I all most bought that mill before you did. Ross said running that mill, there's no time to think. You have to know where your going with the log cut wise.
;D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Peter Drouin on December 15, 2017, 08:20:29 PM
When I all most bought that mill before you did. Ross said running that mill, there's no time to think. You have to know where your going with the log cut wise.
;D ;)
Looked to me like he was tossing the log up in the air flipping it this way and that, to get ideas.  :D

Thank You Sponsors!