iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood Mizer LT70 Super Wide (Vidjayo on da way)

Started by 4x4American, December 12, 2017, 10:12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on December 15, 2017, 08:22:37 PM

Looked to me like he was tossing the log up in the air flipping it this way and that, to get ideas.  :D

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D good one, :D :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

4x4American

I'm glad I beat ya to it Pete lol lol Beachy's Lumber beat me to the one that WM NY had and Barry told me that the last 55hp 70 super available in the northeast was at the Maine ASC. 

One thing I dont like is there is no manual scale.  I didnt realize how much I used the scale as a reference on the 40 until I didnt have a scale anymore.  I also don't like that the chain turner can't turn the chain and raise/lower the arm at the same time.  I needa get that fixed.  Get the soldering iron out lol.

It was -9 here this morning.  The cat and the sawmill were gelled up wicked bad.  The cat is due for a pm anyways put about 750 hours on her since I got it (whenever that was lol).  So I changed the one fuel filter and put diesel 911 in it. Worked great.  The sawmill was so froze that I tented it up and put a kerosene heater under it and a hot light.  That worked pretty good. The fuel man cuts his fuel with power service additive.  I've never had luck with that garbage, it has left me gelled up so many times.  It's really my fault for not remembering to put the lucas extreme cold additive in.  But golly, I'm looking for a new fuel man who cuts his fuel with kerosene.
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

Like I said if it was a walk and ride one it would be here and not there. :D :D :D :D
I want to still cut 40' beams, With that mill that would not happen.
It was 2° here at 7am. My cat started, Would run, but not rev up. 2 hours later and some 911 to It, It came out of it.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Magicman

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on December 15, 2017, 08:22:37 PMLooked to me like he was tossing the log up in the air flipping it this way and that, to get ideas.  :D 
"Dug" learned that flipping pancakes at the IHOP.  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

I believe that surely. It's a good thing he cant ride with that mill  or when Amtrak went past he would forget what he's doing and take off after it!
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

starmac

Wow, the only way we get gelled up fuel anymore is to have summer fuel left over in a piece of equipment, it doesn't matter how cold it gets.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Percy

Quote from: 4x4American on December 15, 2017, 08:42:40 PM
I'm glad I beat ya to it Pete lol lol Beachy's Lumber beat me to the one that WM NY had and Barry told me that the last 55hp 70 super available in the northeast was at the Maine ASC. 

One thing I dont like is there is no manual scale.  I didnt realize how much I used the scale as a reference on the 40 until I didnt have a scale anymore.  I also don't like that the chain turner can't turn the chain and raise/lower the arm at the same time.  I needa get that fixed.  Get the soldering iron out lol.

It was -9 here this morning.  The cat and the sawmill were gelled up wicked bad.  The cat is due for a pm anyways put about 750 hours on her since I got it (whenever that was lol).  So I changed the one fuel filter and put diesel 911 in it. Worked great.  The sawmill was so froze that I tented it up and put a kerosene heater under it and a hot light.  That worked pretty good. The fuel man cuts his fuel with power service additive.  I've never had luck with that garbage, it has left me gelled up so many times.  It's really my fault for not remembering to put the lucas extreme cold additive in.  But golly, I'm looking for a new fuel man who cuts his fuel with kerosene.
On the scale thing, dont you have a constant head height readout like the accuset?? I share the same operator position as you so I cant see my manual scale either as its where a walkalong guy would read it. Dont miss it. The readout is accurate. On the turner thing, Ive never even considered that problem as my mill is so slow compared to yours, its like I get moss growing on the cut face before the turner does its biddness compared to yours. I watched that vid maybe 8 times already and I learn something new every time. Did that chunk of wood taste good before you threw it at your grunt??
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Peter Drouin

Percy, You just have to jump to a 70 super is all. :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

lol lol Percy

Yea on the readout there is a constant readout but that means my head is looking down at the computer and not at the headrig.  Also, the head moves up and down so fast that the computer readout is just plain slow comparatively it can't quite keep up.  Myn doesn't even have a manual scale at all anywhere on it.  Which is fine anyways. 

The setworks on the super 70 are much more user friendly.  You can be in auto down or pattern mode, and raise the head up and down as you please.  The only time the head moves to the computer set is when you pull the trigger.  I love that, way less likely to set the head down on a cant that way.  Also there is a button you press with your thumb that bumps the head up 5/8" for to dragback at the right spot every time.  If you have a thinner piece just pick up slow.  I like the proportional hydraulics for the most part. 

haha and actually it tasted like grits!
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

There is also a button that puts you into your most recent setworks mode and cancels out of it too.  The setworks trigger also brings you to the nearest round number if you arent in setworks mode.  They need to put a button on there that will pick your nose when your hands are busy
Boy, back in my day..

starmac

Knowing what I do today, after watching that video, if I could go back 10 years in time, I would have to own one of those puppies.

I do have a question that concerns me though, you mentioned it doesn't have a manual scale. the way it is right now, is it just basically out of commission if the accuset fails?? I suppose a scale can be added easily.

Grizzly

Quote from: 4x4American on December 15, 2017, 10:08:31 PM
They need to put a button on there that will pick your nose when your hands are busy

And then you'll want an automatic coffee perk/dispenser, and then you'll want a back scratcher, and then you'll want.............  ;D
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Percy

I noticed that you often spool up the motor before you lift a log on. ??is that to speed up the hydraulics?? Also notice the clamp sometimes moves slower like mine and other times it's quick as ever. Is that selectable or just done with engine rpm?
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Southside

Quote from: 4x4American on December 15, 2017, 08:42:40 PM

The fuel man cuts his fuel with power service additive.  I've never had luck with that garbage, it has left me gelled up so many times.  It's really my fault for not remembering to put the lucas extreme cold additive in.  But golly, I'm looking for a new fuel man who cuts his fuel with kerosene.

That stuff is junk.  I was going from Ft Collins, CO to Laramie, WY one night with a load of stock, it was -22 in Ft Collins and -46 when I got to Laramie, took a picture of it and texted it to my wife.  The truck went into limp mode a couple of times as I got to Laramie so I pulled into the Fairgrounds and got out my bottle of Power Service.  "Guaranteed not to gel" is written on the front of it.  I tried to pour the stuff into the tank and the Power Service was as thick as honey.  So I rolled down to the Safeway and pulled up to the Kero pump and started to fill it up.  Poor attendant came running out of his nice and warm box trying to warn me I was pumping Kero.   Told him I didn't think the tax man was going to get his car to start in this cold so I was not going to worry about it.  Never shut the truck off that night I can tell ya. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

starmac

I have been known to put in a few gallons of genuine gasoline quite a few times.

4x4American

Starmac the accuset has a failsafe manual mode so if the setworks stopped working you could still use the readout.  However if the whole computer stopped working you'd be sol but the engine is computer controlled and the blade and everything so you kinda have to have that.

Percy, eveything is proportional.  Meaning you want something to go faster, pull it harder.  When its going slow its cause im gently carassing (lol) the joystick.  If it's going fast I'm crankin on it with a cheater pipe.  The reason I spool up the engine is to give the hydraulics more hormones.  It goes fast at idle but remember the super 70 has an engine driven hydraulic pump.  So the faster the engine spins the faster the hydraulics go. Once I got used to the hydraulics at full tilt going to idle just bores the snot outta me so I don't often do that. 

Yea that powerservice stuff has gelled up on me multjple times.  I like how the howes stuff says right on it they will pay your tow bill if you get stuck cause of gelling
Boy, back in my day..

Dave Shepard

If you don't have working setworks on that machine, you are going to have a hard time hitting the mark. Even on my 40 Super the head moves too fast to work efficiently.

If one reads the back of the Power Service bottle, you will see that you have to mix it above freezing. My father once dumped a quart in my Kubota when it was in the single digits. It settles to the bottom of the tank and goes straight to the injector pump. The tractor runs until the PS gets to the pump, then it dies. PS 911, I believe, can be added when it's cold, but I've been told the new ULSD fuel once gelled, will not ungel.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

moodnacreek

Wow, but now who am I going to sell my real sawmill to ?

moodnacreek

Ok, I watched you cut 2 logs.  Great log turner and mud saw , faster feed than I expected. I wire an old hair dryer at my stick when cold.  NOW you need a gang saw.  When are you coming down to watch my antiques run ?

Darrel

My wife wants me to get one and I told her that she couldn't keep up off bearing behind the LT40. She said that she'd saw and I could off bear.

I want a LT70 super wide too but don't need one.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Southside

Yea - it's all about the need / want / checkbook balance... >:(  I was kinda depressed running my LT35 after watching this video...  someday it will grow up and become a 70.  Maybe for Christmas I will get a set of the LT70 stickers for it!!!   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

alanh

Most impressive/depressing video I`ve seen on here....the lt 15 seems pretty darn lame...

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Resonator

Couple tips to add to what the others posted about diesel gelling: Keep your tank full, air causes moisture to condensate, water is an enemy of fuel. Buy "Winter Blend" fuel if available. Add anti-gel while fueling to mix. I was told by a mechanic you can't put in too much anti-gel and over treat it. Keep a spare fuel filter handy, or apply gentle heat to it, (that's usually where it clogs), if it gels.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Thank You Sponsors!