iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Budman Log Hauler question

Started by Keith_A, April 16, 2002, 12:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keith_A

For some reason I am not able to post in the Logging forum, so I hope you will notice this post in the sawmill forum.  

I have also been looking into log haulers.  It seems all of the ones that fit the bill for what you and I are looking for are 20k or more.  I recently stumbled upon a University study entitled "Applications of Small-scale Forest Harvesting Equipment in the United States and Canada".  Tables in the back of the article have a fairly comprehensive list of manufacturers, capacities, and cost(a few items don't have price) of skidders, trailers, and loaders/cranes for small-scale use.  It also list the distributors websites if they have one. I found this info to very handy. I will post the link below.
   While I still have a while to make my decision as to what to buy, I am currently thinking that the way to go will be to purchase the loader unit seperately and take it to a competent custom trailer maunfacturer and have them put it on a Goosneck trailer.  I am not sure what will be required to get this DOT approved if anything.  While I really don't know, it seems to me if I can buy a loader for 10k and a nice gooseneck for 4-5k it should be able to be mounted for alot less than what a Wheeler(25k I think) will cost.  If you find something that fits the bill before I do please let me know.

http://www.cnr.umn.edu/FR/publications/staffpapers/harvequi.pdf

Bud Man

Keith A  Were thinking alike. I spent the day looking at 3 to 6 k trailers and 6 to 12k loaders, your right , It beats 20 to 25 k Wheeler's . Also looked at a Nortrak loader for 100K didn't look at It long  :o  Looked at some low-boy trailers that I thought would have multiple usages down the road a piece, all have 12 to 17,000 GVW ratings.  I'll have a better idea of direction after show this weekend. Probably won't make any purchases this week unless.... I'll keep all posted with whats tempting !!  Studying tires, brakes, DOT regulations etc.
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

ARKANSAWYER

Keith and Budman,
  Get the 20,000 GVW trailer even if you do not haul the load the extra foot print of the 8 tires makes a differance in soft areas.(where logs are)  Keith and I could have used a loader when the loggers where not there to load us.  I am looking hard for a loader set up as well.  You must remember that the loader will add weight  to the tongue when empty and cut into your GVW.  
  Have you had any luck finding just a loader?
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Frank_Pender

I reckon all of our minds that deal with the forests for the logs are in the same skid trail.  I am looking at doing the same kinds of thing, finding a very adequate small loader and placing it on a 5th wheel system, but with a bit of a different twist.  
    By placing a dolly under the 5th wheel point of the trailer I could simply pull the trailer, virtualy without any tongue weight to my F450, 4 x 4.  In this way I would be able to free up the truck very easily if need be.   My major concern, like some mentioned, is the DOT's attitude toward such a unit.  I have someone ready to help build this "critter" when I am ready and found the loader.   By placing a dolly under the 5th wheel it provides me with more versitility of all of my equipment around the mill.  I could use the system for sorting as well as unloading from other trucks or trailers that come to me.
Frank Pender

Tillaway

Here is a wierd idea I have had.  Patu and Nokka make loaders that are designed to be mounted on a tractor three point hitch.  What if you were to build a three point type hitch that could be bolted to the back of the truck.  That way you could use the trailer without loader. Loader without trailer. A simple control station could be mounted on a skid that contains the hydraulic system including power plant.  You could just slide it in when needed.  Also you could mount it on your tractor.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Frank_Pender

Yes, Tillaway, I too have thought of this process.  Your could have a portable hydraulic system right with the truck and run off the  PTo system with quick disconnects and directional valves.  I just got a call about a small log loader I have been trying to get to 5 years, tonight.  I might well be purchased for less than one grand.  It does not turn 360 degrees  just about 190 and has a chain drive for turning.   I am getting a bit excited about it all tonight.  Even the "Boss" said that "it sounds much better than 20 grand. 8)  i always say that "talk is cheap. ::)
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!