iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Growth rings.

Started by Bogue Chitto, December 12, 2017, 12:28:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogue Chitto

Sawed in to this today.  Any one ever seen this?

Weekend_Sawyer

WOW  :o

That's going to make something really nice.

Was that a sinker log?
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Bogue Chitto

Axed chopped sinker pine log.

Bogue Chitto

BradMarks

Magicman

Wow, that is so pretty that it hurt my eyes.  :o  My first glance said Sinker Pine and yes, it can be a booger to keep the blade clean and saw.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Resonator

Looks like Damascus steel.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Roxie

That is so beautiful it takes my breath away!   :o
Say when

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Clark

Very nice.

I've seen something similar one time in my life. It happens to be on the wall of the Lucky Lab in northwest Portland, OR. It's a doug-fir board that has very similar, crazy growth rings that defy an easy explanation.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Don P

That's what it reminded me of, I've seen that in dougfir also.

Alligator

I believe that is the prettiest piece of wood I have ever laid eyes on. To the point of inspiration.

Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

Roxie

I agree with you.   smiley_heart
Say when

thecfarm

Where are you guys getting this wood??  :o :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Lawg Dawg

I'd advertise it as Curly Sinker Pine, one in a million!  Very unique!
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

YellowHammer

Wow, I'm about to go fill my pond with pine logs. :D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Percy

WOW!!!
This is the reward for persistance in our profession. Thanks for the pic!!
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

scsmith42

Stunning!

Those boards would make great candidates to be resawn into veneer.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Alligator

I hope Bogue Chitto doesn't mind, I made a windows 1920 x 1080 background from the pic. The pic sizing on FF reduces the resolution. If you would like it, it is at NOTE FROM ADMIN. LINKS TO OFFSITE PHOTOS ARE NOT ALLOWED Click on the link and right click to save it when it appears.
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

Bogue Chitto

Quote from: thecfarm on December 14, 2017, 06:17:05 AM
Where are you guys getting this wood??  :o :)
It was just one log. Log was from a customer.  He told me where he got it but I think he wants to keep it a secret.

Magicman

You can rest assured that it was an isolated incident. 

I sawed a SYP sinker from about 75 miles upstream of you.

The tight rings indicate slow growth but it was nothing compared to your specimen.  The customer said that he had more but I was glad that he did not bring them to me to saw. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bogue Chitto

My son was doing the milling on this log when I saw him pushing the saw head. What is the problem with the mill?  I asked him.  The log was so hard that we had to help push the saw head forward.  I hope he does not bring another, ;) unless he gives half the log to me. 

Thank You Sponsors!