iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solar kiln temps

Started by vfauto, December 11, 2017, 07:57:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vfauto

What is the hottest the solar kiln will reach?
The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

pineywoods

Don't really know, but I have documented 180 deg F in mine. Used a chart recording thermometer. Be advised, my kiln is a bit different from most, and I do live in the deep south...I normally see 40 deg over ambient, even on cloudy days...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

If the wood is fairly wet, then the extra heat will be used for evaporating water.  So, a solar kiln will run maybe only 10-20 F hotter than outside.  This is good, as the energy is being used for drying.

If the wood is dry, the extra heat will not evaporate moisture as easily so the kiln temperature will reach 30-40 F above outside.  Any hotter means that solar input and the heat created is not being efficiently used for drying.  Probably there is a relative humidity issue, as with heat and low RH the woood has to dry.  Maybe, the vents are not open enough.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!