iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying cedar logs

Started by Rah244, December 11, 2017, 12:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rah244

I'm a beginner, so bear with me, but about 6 weeks ago I cut down 5 cedar trees, up to 24" in diameter. I saved the logs thinking I would like to mill them into boards/posts and use them for some projects. How long do I have to let the logs dry before I mill them? Thinking about buying a chainsaw mill. They are stored outside, but up off the ground several inches.

Ianab

Generally you want to mill logs green, then dry the boards. Its easier cutting and there is less risk of degrade like rot and splitting. But don't be discouraged as cedar is both easy to cut, even when dry, and durable. So your logs will last a long time, and should still make good boards.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

drobertson

Yea, Ian pretty much laid it out, dry boards not logs, unless you plan on building a cabin, with basically a pure log form. and even in this case, allowing the logs to dry out is not a bad idea before doing some minor surface preparations to even out the courses.  Lots left to the imagination as you left it in your original post.. fact is options galore, with mistakes to be made for sure, and they only add to the adventure,,get ready!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Adding your location to your profile will help with answering questions.  The answer would be the same but there are many different species and subspecies of Cedars.

Oh and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Rah244!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WDH

Down here, if you let cut cedar logs sit for a long time, the surface will crack and check pretty deep into the log.  The first boards on all faces will all be ruined.  Best to cut the boards out of the logs as soon as possible after felling. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

Welcome to the Forum,

As the others said, dry the boards, not the logs.  With Eastern Red Cedar you will begin to loose sap wood if the logs sit long enough, which can be quite a bit of the log in some cases, also ants and other insects will find a nice home in fallen logs, more so than in sawn boards.  Another factor to consider is that some wood will begin to decay and or stain if it remains in the log form.  In some cases this can be a good thing, such as spalting in a big, ugly, crotch maple log, not such a good thing in 20" clear white oak.  Enjoy sawing!!   
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

KFhunter

I've been cutting w.r cedar from a burned area, the fire killed the trees almost 2 years ago now so they're dead and standing. 

Would it make anything other than barn poles and split rail?

moodnacreek

Can you put them in a pond ?  If not maybe stand them up.  Putting them off the ground may dry and split them faster then if left directly on the ground. The colder the storage the better.

Thank You Sponsors!