iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How Bout them Apples!!

Started by catalina, December 11, 2017, 12:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catalina

Folks, long before I new this site/forum existed I was a member of another site that I still go to occasionally, and I hope it's allowed to post the link for the "wood gloat" posting/purposes of showing the pictures stored there. Woodworkingtalk.com under milling search /f26/big-apple-52315/. I figured based on what everyone was telling me I would have some fancy kindling in the future as in June of 2013 I milled some rather large and nice straight apple logs. Well future is here, we got our new house built on new property so I have been moving all the stuff I have cut and not used yet. I had forgot about these beauties as I was afraid they wouldn't hold together but to my surprise after 4 years of air drying under about 1000 lbs of other wood with other stacks of wood slowing direct air flow-Here they are!! I am super proud of these-ended up with 4 boards 14-15" at widest and a little over 6 ft long and then a bunch of 4-8 inch wide stuff. Haven't got down to the gun stock blanks but I like what I see so far!

here is a closeup of the grain!

These pictures don't do the colors in this any justice.

DanMc

I'd call that more like "apple-gloat"!!!!
LT35HDG25
JD 4600, JD2210, JD332 tractors.
28 acres of trees, Still have all 10 fingers.
Jesus is Lord.

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

catalina

Not sure on the working part yet as I haven't worked any-yet, lol. For the sawing, as I recall it was harder then any cherry I have cut but softer than any maple too.

samandothers

Good size apple.  Look forward to seeing an end product!

Don P

Good deal  8). Give it a good long time drying, this is where that new jointer would be nice. It moves like crazy getting there but then is pretty well behaved.

Thank You Sponsors!