iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

John Deere set-up

Started by Chuck White, December 10, 2017, 08:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

My FIL (Forestry Forum member SAGRAP) has an old (don't know the year) John Deer model M tractor and it has a 3-cylinder gas engine that is set-up! 

Can't turn it with the crank, and don't know for sure how long it has been set-up!

Anybody have an idea how to possibly free it up?

Any help will be appreciated!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bigred1951

Fill the cylinders with oil of some kind. We always used either kerosene or transmission fluid or mixtures of stuff. Some people just use wd 40 or pb blaster. Let sit for a few days and either put a breaker bar on the crank or pull it around in gear easing off the clutch.

Ljohnsaw

By "set up" you mean frozen as opposed to seized.  I think the usual is to pull the spark plugs and squirt a bunch of penetrating oil down the hole (ATF/Kerosene or other secret recipes).  Let it sit and then put a big wrench on the crankshaft and give it a try.  Might take a few days...

EDIT:  Bigred beat me to it... ;)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Don_Papenburg

If you can fill three cylinders on  a JD M it ain't a JD M  they only had 2cylinders.  I used diesel in my A .Left it sit soaking for a year and then freed it up with a few /many pulls on the flywheel. 
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Remle

Quote from: Chuck White on December 10, 2017, 08:10:26 PM
My FIL (Forestry Forum member SAGRAP) has an old (don't know the year) John Deer model M tractor and it has a 3-cylinder gas engine that is set-up! 

Can't turn it with the crank, and don't know for sure how long it has been set-up!

Anybody have an idea how to possibly free it up?

Any help will be appreciated!
IMHO the way to tackle this is to jack up one rear axle after you have soaked the pistons with your favorite juice of choice, then put it in low gear and gently rock the wheel back and forth to see if you get any movement. Do that for several days allowing the juice to penetrate around the pistons. If that doesn't work you will probably need to tear down the engine..

snowstorm

some of the old 2 cyl. would leak rain water into the motor freeze then break the oil pump coupling when you try to start it.

Chuck White

Thanks for the replies!

Could have gotten his wires (models) crossed up, He also has a Farmall M!

ljohnsaw; What I mean by set-up is, the engine won't turn when we pull on the crank!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!