iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bob Cat Tires

Started by MartyParsons, December 10, 2017, 08:47:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyParsons

Hello,
   Need to purchase tires for 751 Bobcat. Can you help with the decision?

Have a log grapple attachment and mostly use it as a fork lift. Occasional snow removal .

Tire size standard is 10-16.5

Use in the shop some on concrete.

Use in the woods at times so would think a 10 ply would be better. Which adds some cost but may prevent punctures in the woods. 

Foam filled would be $ 600.00 more and add some weight. Is this a good idea?

Which tire pattern would be better for what it is use for?

Thanks

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

barbender

Marty, I put new tires on my skid last year. Mine are 12-16.5. I don't remember the brand offhand, but they are 10 ply made in the US if I remember right. I've never had any problems with punctures. They are the tread in your second picture, the block style in the first is designed for hard surfaces, I think.
Too many irons in the fire

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I can only repeat what I've heard around here....the tree service guys and loggers say go with foam filled.
Not sure how you intend to use your new tires Marty.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Don P

Foam is low CG, you'll only regret it once... says the guy adding air daily and saving up  :D

chevytaHOE5674

Foam adds weight and puncture protection, but it makes an already rough ride rougher, and makes tire replacement a nightmare.

Last set tires on my bobcat were foam filled. And after countless hours of kidney bursting pain riding around the farm and then spending hours sawzalling them off the rims when they were wore out, the current set are air filled with a product called tireject in them to keep them sealed.

Someday I would like to try some of the airless tires that they make that have holes to allow the tire to flex

breederman

I am seeing more and more of the airless ones on farms but I know nothing about them.
Together we got this !

barbender

The only flats I have gotten, were when my weather checked sidewalls blew out. The tires still had decent tread, at 2000+ hours. Whatever the brand, I went with those again (I think they are Titan?) It was around $1000.

jcbrotz

McLaren airless tires the only thing it hurts is your wallet. But on a side note I will never have a flat as the tires as my youngest puts it a full of holes. :D I will report back on lifespan in 10 years my neighbor has a set on that are atleast 10yrs old and still good and he is a poster child of damage, if they survive him I should get twice that long.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

xlogger

I  just replaced my foam filled tires with a new set rims and all, you will need to do that also if you get foam filled. I don't run over construction materials so I didn't go back with foam filled. But I would get tubes installed if I was you. Now I doing it one flat at a time.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Deere80

I have had both tire patterns on my skidsteers and have the first picture of the block tread on right now and hate them.  They tear the grass up more, cost more money, if you get any amount of rain and a little mud gets in the tread they do not clean out so you might as well have slicks on, in dry dirt or pavement they work fine and I do not have any pavement so I regret buying them.  I thought they were going to be great but am very disappointed in them. 
Wood-Mizer LT40WIDE 38HP

MartyParsons

Hello,
  Yes thanks for the info. Deere80

What about the tire size. I would assume stick with the original size. I would think going to the 12-16 . 5 would change the bucket angle? The 751 is a little light for what we are doing but it works. New tires would be good. I have tubes in three of the four already.
I would assume all the tires are manufactured in China? At least the tires for about $ 125.00. ech
The tires with all the holes look to be at $ 2500 +. Don't think I want to even go there.
Thanks!  :)
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Deere80

What I did on my 753 is bought a set on ebay with tires and rims in the 10.5 with bar treads and had a worn out pair of 12s with chains on for the winter so it gave me more clearance underneath to go thru more snow, which made a big difference.  But when pushing snow it did what you are saying by changing your angle on the bucket, you can't put the bucket all the way down and be completely level. You also get a lot more stability with the 12s than you do with the 10s so that is also a big plus.   I have them block tread ones on a 250S model and would like to trade them to someone for the tractor tread ones, the worst part about it was these are a lot more expensive than the other ones.
Wood-Mizer LT40WIDE 38HP

Deere80

Obviously you have to run the 12s with the rim flipped out so you are in the wide mode or they will rub.
Wood-Mizer LT40WIDE 38HP

okmulch

I use Mclarens on my cat 268 with steel grouser  tracks over them. They are still going strong after at least 8 years on them. The corners are worn a little where the track s rub them but still have a lot of tread left.
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

MartyParsons

QuoteObviously you have to run the 12s with the rim flipped out so you are in the wide mode or they will rub.

Not sure I understand? I think my wheels are on with the wider part of the rim sticking out. I dont think they will fit that way. Or?

Thanks
Marty

Deere80

You can mount your rims two ways, they will be dished more one way or the other.  So if you are in the narrow mode they will be close to the machine, when you take them off you need to take them to the opposite side of the machine to mount them back up because you need to flip them around if not your tread would be going the wrong way if you keep them on the side you took them off from.  Post a picture of your rim close up and a picture from the front of the machine and then i can tell you which way yours are on if you want.  Sorry if i confused you.  Tomorrow i will post a picture of 12s on my 753 to show you. 
Wood-Mizer LT40WIDE 38HP

barbender

I suspect your 751 is a bit light for 12s, Marty. But I am not real familiar with Bobcat machines. I still haven't been out to look at the tires on my machine, but whatever brand those tires are, it's a sub-brand of one of the big tire companies. Firestone etc. So they are a "name brand" tire. I've never had a flat, my machine has spent a lot of time in the woods and around my building site, not easy use at all. Mine may even be 12 plys. When I blew the first sidewall on the original set, I didn't have the $$$ for a whole set, so I bought one offbrand cheap China to get me by until I could replace all 4 with a real set. The rubber was chunking of pretty heavy, and now I remember, I did have a few flats with that thing. It was only on there for a few months. If you buy a food quality tubeless, they should meet your needs and be trouble free.

Deere80

here is pictures with 12s on the 753, the picture with it on the trailer they are in the narrow mode.  Other 2 they are in the wide mode.  I do not have that machine anymore so this was all I had for pictures.

Here is pictures of 12s on my 250S but they are in the narrow mode because this is the factory size for this machine, if I would flip them around I would gain 2 inches wider a side.  Hope this helps.
Wood-Mizer LT40WIDE 38HP

MartyParsons

Tires arrived yesterday.

I have a bead blaster but it was at the other shop.

The other side has tubes in it. I need to get some valve stems.

Thanks for the comments.

Marty

POSTON WIDEHEAD

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) Baby got new shoes.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Corley5

They look like they'll work.  Good looking old Bob Cat 8) 8) 8) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

NWP

I have foam filled tires on both my machines. The ride is the same as air. The foam is soft and the tire has give in it just like if it had air. I get the tires retreaded when they are worn down so you reuse the same wheels and foam. It adds 200 lbs per tire. Your tires are smaller so it would probably be a little less weight
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Thank You Sponsors!