iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Must know knowledge for land owners wanting to sell their timber

Started by Abeman, December 09, 2017, 04:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abeman

If you had to provide just 1 piece of advice & 1 warning to a Land Owner before having his property logged, what would they be?

chevytaHOE5674

Seek a trustworthy and experienced forester.

Would you sell your grandmother's prized jewels to some pawn shop without consulting an expert in the field first...? Hopefully not.

mills

Have a realistic understanding of how your property will look when the logging is done. When you decide which logger you will use check out a few of his past jobs. Your property will look the same. That is, unless you willing to pay extra for the clean up job.

starmac

If the property is mortgaged, make sure it is even an option, would be the first thing.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Skeans1

Being a logger we've worked for different forestry forms that required us to not clean up or add material into the site when a land owner wants just the opposite. I'd shop foresters check out their past and get in touch with the association of loggers of your state between all of the above you can make a good choice.

Jeff

As said, get a Forester and don't try to do it yourself. Don't just get any forester.  There are good and bad. You want one that is working for your interests, not someone else. Get references. A forester will more than pay for themselves in the long run.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

Know where your property lines are.
Go to other jobs and see what they have done.
I have seen some jobs that the landowners don't like. It won't look like a park after it's done.
Than I've seen jobs that was a wreck and the landowner was happy with the job.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mike_belben

Go to tennessee timber consultants, top right, click the 3 lines to get the drop down menu, click resources, then scroll down to the woodland owners forestry guide.  It is epic.
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

If i had to just say one thing, it would be not to call a logger until you can explain to a stranger what "high grading" is. 

Nature can fix a clearcut or a rutty mudhole or a pile of messy tops.  But it really cant fix high grading.
Praise The Lord

Abethetenacious

Regarding above mentioned comments about high grading you think a clear cut is more desirable than harvesting mature timber. You are everything that is wrong with this business.

Jeff

You better be careful there Abethetenacious on the way you direct yourself to your fellow members. Your tenure here could be minuscule. You may have no idea what was intended by the comment. I can think of several times a clear cut is beneficial depending on intent and species (aspen or jackpine for example). And as to high grading, the comment is right there too. Sometimes it's better to start over then try to undo what years of high grading has done to a timber stand.  You are left with a low or no value stand that may not have any value, even to wildlife. It all depends on the situation.

John Mc

I second the recommendation to get a good forester. The problem can be telling. good one from a bad one if you don't know much about the subject.

I see you are in NY. Two good organizations to check out that can help you educate yourself and/or make recommendations on how to find a good forester in your area:

NY Master Forest Owners program

and the New York Forest Owners Association

I'd start with the MFO. They have a group of trained volunteers that will arrange a site visit to walk your land with you and start you off in the right direction.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

curdog

Have a plan before you get started. Either from the private consulting forester or from a state forestry agency ( if the landowner isn't knowledgeable on harvesting timber and timber management). You need to know your objectives and the end result your after before contacting a logger. Timber is a long term investment that can be messed up quickly and it will take a long time to correct poor management decisions.

mike_belben

Quote from: Abethetenacious on December 09, 2017, 07:43:02 PM
Regarding above mentioned comments about high grading you think a clear cut is more desirable than harvesting mature timber. You are everything that is wrong with this business.

You ever seen a parcel thats had 3 successive high gradings?    Youre better off with a hayfield than a patch of kudzu growing up trees that look like spiral staircases and wont ever produce a tie log. 

I do a lot of TSI.  Which basically means cutting down culls that the "pro loggers" should have when they cut 20 yrs ago.  Wasted years.

Praise The Lord

Abethetenacious

In regards to Jeff threatened by the 1st amendment much. I expect that from the snow flake crowd. By the way you need posters more than I need you.

curdog

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Unless Jeff is in Congress,  that doesn't apply.
Quote from: Abethetenacious on December 09, 2017, 10:41:21 PM
In regards to Jeff threatened by the 1st amendment much. I expect that from the snow flake crowd. By the way you need posters more than I need you.

quilbilly

a man is strongest on his knees

John Mc

Quote from: Abethetenacious on December 09, 2017, 10:41:21 PM

This is a privately run site, and Jeff calls the shots. If you knew anything about the first amendment, you'd know there is nothing in it that requires someone to let you come into their house and spout off or be insulting.

There are lots of places you can go if all you want to do is be obnoxious. The way Jeff and the admins run this site is a big part of why many of us are here. It's like a gathering of family and friends: it's OK to disagree and to present your point of view with conviction, but you need to do it respectfully. (It also helps if you know what you are talking about, or at least admit when you are wrong.)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

starmac

WOW, I doubt any site needs posters as bad as you seem to think.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Logger RK

I think when the word"clear cut"is offensive to a person,they might be on the wrong forum. Because any Logger would know,it's the best method in some situations.

PA_Walnut

I think this thread has encouraged me to engage a forester in my quest of improving my forest.

I have no specific need/reason to cut at this point, but I do wish to improve the timber growing there, particularly some help/ideas in order to help the better trees prosper and get rid of some of the scraggle and thickets that prevail amongst the lower forrest.
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Jeff

DID HE CALL ME A SNOWFLAKE??   BAHAHHA :D :D :D  BAHAHA!!! :D :D :D

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

John Mc

Jeff

No, he meant Mo, as that's where our cheeky 1st amendment warrior is from.

Thank You Sponsors!