iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bird Feeder Squirrelganoff

Started by Jeff, December 08, 2017, 06:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Lately we have been having trouble with squirrels raiding our bird feeder pole I made. What would take the birds a week to eat thesquirrels take in a couple hours. As many as 7 at a time were coming in. So what to do? EAT SOME OF EM! I've taken two so far and the rest have somehow disappeared :D I reckon they'll be back.   
So this is what I made tonight and I have named it Bird Feeder Squirrelganoff. The bonus part of that is I invented a word that gets ZERO Google results if searched, so yes, I'm da first for Squirrelganoff :D

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

BradMarks

Jeff

I was hoping Wildflower would stop by and comment what she thought of it, but she has been in the top of one of our oak trees since just after supper.

Dan_Shade

She must have liked it if she's out trying to catch more
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Jeff

We both grew up eating squirrels. The woods i grew up hunting in had fox squirrels, way bigger than the eastern Grey's we have here.

DelawhereJoe

I had to remove 8 of them bushy tailed tree rats before they got the hint, now I'm just waiting for the birds to return.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

coxy

Quote from: BradMarks on December 08, 2017, 06:29:15 PM
Tastes like chicken ;D
well ya when you put it in chicken broth  :D :D  we have a lot of them this year to  last summer there was a bunch of baby's in my old chicken coop one was a black one so I gave him extra peanuts to fatten him up (I want a black one to go with my bobcat ) well they all stayed but him/her  have no idea where it went but I wasn't happy 

POSTON WIDEHEAD

We kept a lot of cats for mice around the feed room at the barn when I was growing up.
Cats + Squirrels = 0 Squirrels. 
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Chuck White

We have a few grays that come in to see what they can get for nothing, so I may try a couple of them sometime through the Winter!

Lookin' out the window is warmer than sittin' up in a tree!   ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

PA_Walnut

Love this! I despise those little tree rats--trying to enjoy my woods and those dang things chatter and yelling at me. Time to thin the heard!  :-[
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sawguy21

Quote from: PA_Walnut on December 10, 2017, 07:36:34 AM
Love this! I despise those little tree rats--trying to enjoy my woods and those dang things chatter and yelling at me. Time to thin the heard!  :-[
Oh come on, they are fun to watch. ;D Little beggars sure make a mess when they get into the house though.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

BradMarks

Boy do they do damage when trapped inside a building :o.  Last year a big gray squirrel hid out in the warehouse for a few days.  Literally tore up the wall by a roll up door, 18" up, trying to get out at night.  Then the same thing in a corner, to the studs and up the wall it went.  Only to come back the same way to a 110 Mountain Beaver trap. Big mistake ;D. Those traps work well on rats and possums too, but they are non-discriminate, but if you don't like cats.....

Weekend_Sawyer

Well, now when you google Squirrelganoff you get a link to the FF!
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

drobertson

I for one can't say I blame ya, cotton picken tree rats, thats all they are,,varmits, make racket while trying to hunt, tearing up the bird feeders,,digging holes in the yard hiding black walnuts,, yes sir, a pressure cooker was designed just for em' I believe,, I'd eat it, and be happy while doing so,,yes sir ree, looks good,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sawguy21

Now tell us how you really feel. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

DDW_OR

basically your bird feeder is set up as a Squirrel "feeder lot"
the good thing is you will have several well fed squirrels for Squirrelganoff

you could set it up as an acrobat course

I think they can jump vertically about 5 feet
and horizontally about 12 feet
"let the machines do the work"

thecfarm

You talk about jumping.
Those critters come to my feeder. I have the feeder,light pole,than about 40 feet than woods. Dog will chase the squirrels off the feeder and up the pole they go. No place to go. The transformer is up there too. So i go out and talk real loud,most times that will get them to jump off from the top of the pole. The things will hit the ground and make a splat sound and head for the woods. And I mean a loud splat sound. They never miss a beat. As soon as thier feet hit the ground,they are moving. You would think it would knock the wind out of them. I have seen it many,many times and when they hit the ground,they are running.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

petefrom bearswamp

My feeder is on a post about 6-6" high with a flat platform and a piece of 12" round ductwork tight against the bottom of the platform.
Squirrels run up into the duct and come back out.
I have to keep any jump off places at least 10 feet from the feeder.
If I see a squirrel on it I know its time to trim stuff back.
The only time a critter got up there from the ground is when an ice storm had coated the windward side of the duct.
He ran up the post and hit the ice running and made it to the feast.
Linda informed me that there would be NO squirrelganoff in our house.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

DDW_OR

Quote from: thecfarm on December 14, 2017, 06:14:35 AM
You talk about jumping.
....The transformer is up there too.........

WARNING
sometimes the squirrel will short out the live wire to ground and knock out your power.
have the power company come out and put a squirrel barrier on their pole.
"let the machines do the work"

BradMarks

It's true, blow the transformer, hit the ground DOA, and yes their hair does stand up on end!!

tree-farmer

Fond memories of my aunt Mary's squirrel and dumplings. Mom did not want to fix them, so took them to my aunt. Have not had them since she passed on. Don't think it would be the same.  :-[

Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

starmac

I grew up hunting and eating squirrel, I don't know how many different ways mom could fix them, but they were all good eating.

My wife used to make a mean dish with them too, fried up and then smothered in gravy, hmm has my mouth watering.
They never bothered me in the woods, heck I actually enjoyed squirrel hunting more than I ever did deer hunting. There just isn't a whole lot of things more enjoyable than squirrel hunting with a good dog after the leaves fell of.  I have not lived where there was any eating squirrel for many years, and sure miss it.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

luvmexfood

Darn hawks around here have decimated all the small game, turkey hatchlings and a few small pups out of peoples yards. Three hunt in a gang here. They circle evenly spaced out. And those three don't count the one hugh one that is sometimes around.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Thank You Sponsors!