iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Snow Plowing

Started by Bruno of NH, December 08, 2017, 05:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

Been plowing for 35 years tried retiring from it this season.
Just got a call from the property manager for the condos the new guy can't work this weekend so i'm back at it ;D
The new guy is 24  :)
I bet I get called alot :D
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Peter Drouin

I only plow my door yard,  ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

snowstorm

I do 31 miles and 1 driveway

chevytaHOE5674

I do about 1/2 mile of driveway and my hay stacking yard. UP here in deep snow country that means plowing a lot of area so that come spring you have enough room to turn a truck around without spending tons of end loader time stacking the snow UP. 40" so far this season and its still coming down, calling for another foot by tomorrow evening....

Bruno of NH

We do 5 condo groups  250 units and the roads and drives in a 30 unit housing development
The drives get snow blowed with a 45 hp kubota front mount unit
The guys shoveling walks and stairs earn their pay
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

chevytaHOE5674

Not sure where the closest condo unit is around here, I know there isn't one within 100 miles. There is a 5 unit apartment "complex" in town though. hahaha

Most people around here lay out their yards and sidewalks so that they can all be plowed with a truck. Nobody wants to have to shovel a sidewalk in a winter with 20+ feet of snowfall.

Bruno of NH

I joke
The guy who laid out the condos was from Florida :)

Kbeitz

I did 40 acres with a small Kubota tractor when I worked at Grizzly tools.
I would never get done.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Wood Shed

Have not had enough snow to even use the plow last two years,  maybe this year. :snowball:

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in." -Greek Proverb

Roger2561

Quote from: Wood Shed on December 09, 2017, 07:15:42 AM
Have not had enough snow to even use the plow last two years,  maybe this year. :snowball:

I love them old JD tractors. 

I guess it's time I put the snow blower on my 40HP JD tractor.  I believe we're expecting a couple of inches tonight and a few inches on Tuesday.  Heck, it's winter so bring it on.  Roger
Roger

TKehl

I hear you Wood Shed.  Bought a plow for my Suburban 2 years ago.  Hasn't snowed enough to use it since. 

I've virtually guaranteed it won't snow significantly this year...  Bought an F350 with plow and a plow for the skid steer this year...   My wife thanked me for the insurance policy.   :D  :D  :D
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

chevytaHOE5674

If you guys with unused plows want to shine the rust off and practice plowing you can come UP and plow pretty much any day of your choosing. We have plenty of snow to move.... ha

Dave Shepard

1 to 3 predicted here. A sprinkle of salt and the roads will be bare and wet.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

GRANITEstateMP

My wifes Uncle just retired as Road Agent in town, after 40+ years.  We're trying to figure out what he's gonna do when it snows and he DOESN'T have to plow!  Me and my brother in law worked a lot of hours for him (after our regular jobs) either in our own 3/4 ton trucks cleaning intersections, parking lots, and camp roads, or running the towns loader (me), or grader with wing (him).  The new guy didn't last 5 days and now the town administrator is in charge of the highway crew (we think).  I don't think I'll be getting called out much anymore, not too upset about it, and neither is my aging pickup truck...
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

JV

I plowed snow at our local air base for years.  Some of the old plows were designed for a driver and a plow operator.  We moved the controls over for one man operation but they were still a pain in the neck to operate.  The new Oshkosh plows and blowers were like Cadilliacs.  You needed a good crew and communications running 45 mph with the plows in a line during a whiteout.  I preferred to run the big blowers.  It was a great experience but I don't want to do it again especially at my age.  I can look out the window at the white garbage and go back in front of the fire.  If I need out I have a neighbor who loves to plow.

John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

tree-farmer

Plowed 10 inch snow fall off  a mile + of dirt road and 3 drive ways (500 ft elevation change) I live a end of road so use  it all. All, I can say is they will miss me when I'm gone. A word of thank or couple of bucks for fuel would be nice. I did get fresh coc-chip cookies for one of the driveways.  smiley_thumbsup

Thats my whine for the day.....
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

Peter Drouin

I run over the first 5", Pack it down.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Dave Shepard

I wish the highway departments would do that. Much safer than salting and turning everything to slush.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Howdy

Winter hit with a vengeance and I went to grab the shovels to clear the way, however it took about 15 minutes to find them and when I got outside the snowflake had melted. Last year was a record seven hours and we thought it would never end.

sprucebunny

I pack down the first several inches because I have a stone driveway.
This is my home plow.

I drove a plow truck for a town one winter. Kind of fun but people can be such idiots and get so wound up about a little snowbank in thier just plowed driveway... if they took a shovel to it, it would be gone faster than the time it took to yell at me !!!
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

snowstorm

Oh no it's not. Everybody loves to hate salt but you got to have it

snowstorm

Nice plow. I have been adked many times why i plowed there driveway in. Can't you put it on the other side of the road. Nope can't a dust pan dosent angle

Dave Shepard

Quote from: snowstorm on December 09, 2017, 09:18:46 PM
Oh no it's not. Everybody loves to hate salt but you got to have it

Sure, if there's ice, and you have to have bare roads all winter. VT gave up on salt, last I heard.

sandhills

Quote from: Wood Shed on December 09, 2017, 07:15:42 AM

Hey Wood Shed does that 70 have a pony engine and just out of curiousity does the power steering work nice? Thanks.

snowstorm

I find that hard to believe no salt in vt???

Thank You Sponsors!