iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Land Owner in Lower Hudson Valley, NY - A Newbie

Started by Abeman, December 07, 2017, 11:27:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abeman

Hello everyone, my 1st post and I'd appreciate your patience with me as I come to this discussion as a new landowner with very little knowledge of this industry or the terms/lingo used.

I recently closed on my very first piece of land, 32 acres, much of it constrained by wetlands and some terrain that is fairly slopped. Walking it, I do see what appears to me to be some mature trees with a good mixture of species...oaks, black walnut, maples...at least from what I can tell doing basic research online. The property also has several existing trails that can be used for access.

From what I've read thus-far, it seems like a good practice to get an objective forest professional on board to appraise my trees before putting my them out to bid to loggers. I do care to preserve the property and not just hack everything out if it; but I also am hoping there might be some money to be made. I've attached the parcel access property card for anyone interested. I'm really looking for advice as to where to start, best practices...and who knows...maybe a few professionals in my area.

Cheers!
-Abe

BargeMonkey

I can PM you a couple phone #'s of 2 loggers I know and would recommend, I try to not get south of Catskill / Acra.

John Mc

You might want to connect with the NY Forest Owners Association and the NY Master Forest Owners program.  Both are great organizations to help get forest landowners up to speed.

I would recommend taking some time to get to know your land and thinking about what your goals are for the property before jumping right in and logging it. These decisions can effect your forest for quite some time - take your time making them.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

PA_Walnut

Taking your time is some great advice. When I bought my land, I had all kinds of ideas and goals, most of which changed (and continue) over time. The trees aren't likely moving anytime soon, so give yourself some time.

A great example: the previous owner of my place had planted a plethora of various pines. Each year a friend up north would bring him seedlings, which have made great progress in 30+ years. I was not overly joyed with pines, being a hardwood junky with a sawmill...cut 'em down, I thought.

After going through seasons, I now realize how AWESOME the pines are, providing year-round benefits ranging from more privacy, wind barriers, erosion mitigation, etc. So, only ever cut down several due to being in my way, and have recently planted 50 more spruce trees!

Best wishes for a success and enjoy being a steward of such a great joy!
8)
cut_tree
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

maple flats

I highly recommend the NY Master Forest Owner's Program. I used it in 2003 and the volunteer helped me decide what MY goals and plans were for the land, even though I had owned it for 25 years at that time, but really had never thought about any plans or goals.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Abeman

Thanks for the helpful comments. I reached out to the Masters program and look forward to hearing from them. I am planing to build my family a home on the property next year and there will be a lot of tree work necessary in order to make room for the drive, the septic/field and house.

Abeman

Quote from: BargeMonkey on December 07, 2017, 05:06:13 PM
I can PM you a couple phone #'s of 2 loggers I know and would recommend, I try to not get south of Catskill / Acra.

That would be much appreciated.

Abeman

I'm reviewing a survey quote for my property and one of the optional line items on it says, "Tree Mapping - trees 8" and up on entire site". The quote is for $16,000.00. Could anyone explain to me what this service is, and what the finished product looks like?

Loghauler86

clearcut

Just from that description, it sounds like they propose to use a GPS to locate every tree over 8" DBH, and provide a map of those locations?
Quote"Tree Mapping - trees 8" and up on entire site"
There is no real need to do that, and it does not provide sufficient information to justify the cost.

Now there is value to mapping forest stands - groups of trees/vegetation managed together. Usually of similar age, size, species composition, origin, location etc. Done as part of a forest inventory, using a sampling scheme. That tells you what you have and about where it is in sufficient detail to manage effectively.

From the image that you posted, almost 1/2 of your parcel is mapped as wetland by the NY Dept. of Environmental Conservation or the US Fish and Wildlife Service National Wetlands Inventory (NWI). Wetlands can restrict your opportunities for forest management. From a forest management perspective you have about 17-18 acres to actively manage.

A local forester should be able to help you sort out your options. Best of luck.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

Thank You Sponsors!