iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Corned Venison

Started by WV Sawmiller, December 06, 2017, 07:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

We just vacuum packed and put a batch of corned venison in the freezer. I took out a piece about the size of a pint jar, sliced it into 1/4" thickness and fried them for sandwiches for lunch and it tasted pretty good. This batch started with about 17-18 lbs of venison.

If you haven't tried any you may be pleasantly surprised by it. There are many good recipes on the web. The critical component for nearly all of them is Quick Cure (Morton brand name)/Sodium Nitrite. That is the hardest ingredient for me to find in my area.

In most cases you mix the spices and quick cure and water, often heat then cool to room temp and pour over the meat. I use the loin/backstrap or the hams and the brisket.  Soak in the solution in a clean plastic bucket or crock and I put a heavy plate on top to keep the meat under water and store in my second refrigerator for 5-7 days. I do turn the meat several times to make sure the solution soaks into every piece thoroughly.

We cook the meat just like any other fresh corned beef. Usually put meat in a glass backing dish, add a little water and veggies (Carrots, taters, cabbage, etc) and bake on a slow oven till the veggies are done and the meat falls apart. The veggies will absorb salt and spices and such from the meat. Makes a good roast and great sandwiches/Reubens afterwards.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

drobertson

Sounds good, a buddy did a similar thing not with the corned spices but others, then pressured it and canned it, now that stuff you can eat right out of the jar too,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WV Sawmiller

I'd love to see his recipe/process if you have it. It would sure speed up the process although mostly with the way I do mine you are just waiting for the liquid to seep into the meat.

We can venison and with pints like we use it takes 75 minutes once the cooker comes up on pressure. I assume same time with canning corned meat. Might be as simple as adding the dry spices and cooking on pressure.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

drobertson

WV I would be glad to get that for you, they are on a saw job currently, so in a few days I will hit him up for it, he told me, but, I never wrote anything down, at that time I did not have a pressure cooker. And now come to think of it, it just really seems like he did some corned something or other, anyway its worth the work, especially with their line of work, no worries about spoilage, and man is it good eating,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

moosehunter

We always have a few roasts in the freezer ready for making corned venison. We have not tried canning it though, I don't think it would last long enough to get it in the jars!
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

WV Sawmiller

MH,

I always corn them first then freeze them. That is the most convenient and works best for us. I see some corning recipes call for adding the liquid and spices and meat in a ziplock bag and letting it corn in there. That only does one at at time. I think I put 10 packs up out of our last batch. We package them based on what will normally feed me and my wife. If we have others to feed we just add more packs.

Same thing with canning. A pint is plenty for us. Used to make quarts then realized too much waste. I have not tried it but lots of time half pints would probably be even better.
Howard Green

Texas Ranger

I like pints or half pints, works for me.   8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

petefrom bearswamp

I use buck necks with the windpipe removed.
I have 3 big ones frozen waiting for after season to corn
My recipe calls for potassium Nitrate, saltpeter, in the cure and I finally found it in an Amish store near me.
Used to get it over the counter in drug stores but in that it is one of the 3 ingredients in black powder they no longer carry it.
A pal and i used to make our own m80 firecrackers with this powder we made when we were kids.
My recipe
for every 6 pounds of meat
3/4 cup salt
6TBSP pickling  spices
2TBSP saltpeter
1 tsp sugar
1 qt cold water
2-3 large onions quartered or 12 cloves garlic if desired I sometimes use both
put meat  in a large vessel, but NOT aluminum, I use a plastic 15 gallon drum cut off.
pour solution in and add enough water to cover the meat.
hold down with a stone if necessary
Cover in a cool place for 8-10 days turning meat daily.
I freeze them and cook in a crock pot adding cabbage for the last hr or so.
I sometimes reserve some of the corning liquid to add in the crock pot.
YUM!!
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

moosehunter

Pete. I thought you were going to give us the m80 recipe!
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

WV Sawmiller

Pete,

I save my necks for bone-in roasts. I found long ago it is too much trouble to bone out the neck IMHO. Much easier to remove the meat after cooked.

We add veggies (White and sweet Taters, carrots, an onion, etc) and cream of mushroom soup and cook slow in our oven in a big cast iron dutch oven or 4" deep CI roaster until the meat falls off the bone.

When you corn the necks do you leave the bone in? I have only used boneless cuts and never heard of corning with the bone in the meat.

Morton (the salt people) sells Sodium Nitrate labled as Tender Quick. I think I bought mine on line and that was what I got.
Howard Green

69bronco

I corn necks and shoulders, never bone anything. But I do pump the brine in next to bones before soaking. Comes out excellent!

petefrom bearswamp

I just put em in whole bone in.
When cooked slow in the crock pot the meat falls off the bone.
I Dont bother to inject any brine and it works fine for me.
I usually cut the neck into 3 or 4 sections, a whole neck is too much for my wife and I and most of our family.
Moosehunter the m80 formula was 3 parts saltpeter, 2 parts charcoal and 1 part sulphur if memory serves.
Big bang and lot of smoke
We also made a marble cannon but it was a failure, couldnt get the touch hole small enough. and a lot of the force came out there.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!