iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

best Tree for sound and view block

Started by reelman65, December 06, 2017, 04:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reelman65

bald cypress or ERC?

what is the fastest growing best tree to create visual barrier? in north Ga. will get good sun, hillside, well drained.

TIA
75 Acres of hardwoods that i want to try to optimize for HW growth, health and habitat. Also interested in creating a few small stands of fruit/nut trees and sample of different native species

hopm

Met with a landscaper for a barrier at one of our elementary schools today. He recommended Murray(sp?) Cypress. He was confident it would be the heartiest and fastest growing. I am not familiar with it but plan to investigate.

reelman65

75 Acres of hardwoods that i want to try to optimize for HW growth, health and habitat. Also interested in creating a few small stands of fruit/nut trees and sample of different native species

RAYGYVER

I planted 40 Thuja Green Giants along my property line to try to block out an annoying neighbor. They're only a year old but doing well. They grow 2'+ a year. Dense. Blocks sound and a good wind barrier.
I fear not death, I fear not to live.
Ray Cecil | GrabCAD
www.linkedin.com/in/ray-cecil-b862805b

reelman65

hopm

Had plans to use the Murray Cypress at one of our middle schools. 

Ianab

Leyton Green / Murray Cypress would be the fastest growing, but they aren't a long lived tree. I would suggest a 2 stage plan, with a row of Leytons, and a row of something more permanent and desirable, like ERC or Arborvitae.  Once the better trees get big enough to do the job, cut down the Leytons and leave the others to grow. 

Japanese Cedar (Cryptomeria japonica), is another good (and fast growing) shelter / hedge tree and according to Wikipedia it's grown as an ornamental in Nth America. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

theRooker

Here in the Northeast, I always tell people the fastest growing tree for viewblock is a fence. :D
"Trees are the answer"

Thank You Sponsors!