iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Snowmobiling Upstate NY

Started by Crusarius, December 06, 2017, 12:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusarius

Sooner or later snowmobile season may begin. I am always looking for people to ride with since it seems nobody ever has time to ride.

Typically I like to drop at barnes corners and ride from there. The other area I really enjoy is osceola redfield area. I am open to pretty much anywhere.

Barnes corners is a little under 3 hours for me Osceola is just about the same. Anybody interested in riding this year?

I run a 2006 Ski-doo MXZ 600 SDI. Depending on trail conditions and amount of ppl depends on my riding. I am typically pretty conservative but do enjoy going fast when conditions permit.

Magicman

Riding on a snowmobile someday is on my bucket list. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Crusarius

I lived in AZ for 10 years. I used to run my jeep everywhere. It was great I could choose a direction on a friday and not run into another person all weekend. The closest I can get to that in NY is on my sled.

I have also seen some amazing things out riding. one time I had a fully mature bald eagle take off from the trail 20' in front of me. he had to have a 12' wingspan. He covered the entire trail. When he landed in a nearby tree it looked like his wings hung below the branch by about 2'. it was amazing.

Raider Bill

Quote from: Crusarius on December 06, 2017, 12:21:55 PM
Sooner or later snowmobile season may begin. I am always looking for people to ride with since it seems nobody ever has time to ride.

Typically I like to drop at barnes corners and ride from there. The other area I really enjoy is osceola redfield area. I am open to pretty much anywhere.

Barnes corners is a little under 3 hours for me Osceola is just about the same. Anybody interested in riding this year?

I run a 2006 Ski-doo MXZ 600 SDI. Depending on trail conditions and amount of ppl depends on my riding. I am typically pretty conservative but do enjoy going fast when conditions permit.

Those are both areas we used to sled, trout fish and deer hunt! Havn't thought about them in many years.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

coxy

is that little bar still there on the right just pasted the old hotel it was all knotty pine in side and the bar top was full of pics and I think it also had money under about 2in of clear coat  nice place  haven't been up there riding since 2003 I like the flat rock also  the Monaque bar isn't bad I remember hitting the metal deck bridge with my 12in carbide runners wasn't fun over the handle bars I went  and of course there was the Lewis co Sheriff sitting there I got up got back on the sled and he pulled me over and asked me how drunk I was told him haven't had anything yet but I may start now he gave me a few thing to do and I was laughing at him I said look at the carbide runners on the skies there 12in long and they don't like metal deck bridges he looked and told me have a nice day gave me a little sticker to put on the windshield and was good for the weekend  8)

Crusarius

I think you are talking about louie's? they closed 2 years ago. It was a shame. really nice owners and good food for to good of a price. And it was right next to the parking lot I drop at :) Tuggers is still there just a little ways down the road. I have had good luck in the random parking lot so I like to park there.

How come I never get stickers when they harass me? I HATE that stupid bridge. I have dual 4" carbides and have the same problem.

coxy

ya tuggers was the other place I was thinking about  never did like the timber view the food was nasty   the white lake inn over by Forest port had good drinks  :-X  got caught in the town of web with no riding permit  ::) but they let me go and fallowed me out  ;D

Crusarius

Web and old forge trail system are pretty strict that requires their trail pass The NYS reg does not count.

Raider Bill

Quote from: coxy on December 07, 2017, 02:52:18 PM
ya tuggers was the other place I was thinking about  never did like the timber view the food was nasty   the white lake inn over by Forest port had good drinks  :-X  got caught in the town of web with no riding permit  ::) but they let me go and fallowed me out  ;D

Is that the same White Lake just North of Woodgate on rt 28? Used to go there quite a bit.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

moosehunter

Crusarius,
If you would like to do a day trip closer to home I would be glad to show you around our trail system. I think you are 1.5 hours away ?  I groom here so I know it pretty well. The only caveat is that we have to get snow first ! Haven't seen much in the past two years. Parking areas in Odessa and Alpine ny. I am not a fan of Tug Hill,.. I like smooth trails.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Crusarius

Moose that would be awesome. I agree with liking smooth trails thats why I like to stay off main parts of the hill. I enjoy flatrock occasionally but most of the time I stay on the edges.

starmac

Quote from: Magicman on December 06, 2017, 12:43:46 PM
Riding on a snowmobile someday is on my bucket list.

MM, I got a wild hair and traded for one several years ago. It was probably 6 years or a little longer before I even bothered cranking it. Every once in a while someone would ask when I was going to ride it, and I always replied that when there was snow it was too cold to play.
I finally did get around to riding it some, but mine is a work sled, not too good for playing or just out riding for fun. It is also pretty slow compared to most sleds, so not so good for riding with others.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Crusarius

I had an arctic cat Z440 fan cooled for my first sled. It topped out at about 45 MPH with my oversize butt on it but it was a great sled. Tons of fun on tight wooded trails which is what I typically run. I was forced to upgrade when I watched all the guys I was riding with hit a long straight and disappear. But in the woods they could not keep up with me.

After that I got and 800 ski-doo that had some work done on it. I sold that and moved to the 600. The 800 was to much for the tight trails I ride. the semi direct injected 600 is perfect. Can still break into the triple digits but also throw it around pretty easy on tight trails. I would be very hard pressed to consider going back to a carb'd sled. The sled sits all summer in the fall I press the start button once to prime the fuel system then hold it and she starts perfect every time.

coxy

Quote from: Raider Bill on December 07, 2017, 03:00:27 PM
Quote from: coxy on December 07, 2017, 02:52:18 PM

Is that the same White Lake just North of Woodgate on rt 28? Used to go there quite a bit.
yep :-X :-X :-X

Chuck White

Not sure (exactly) if it's true or not, but I've heard that you have to belong to a snowmobiling club in order to run on the state groomed trails!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

starmac

snowstorm

In maine the state kicks back some of the reg
Money that gets to the club's to drag most of the 14000 miles we have

moosehunter

Ny state snowmobile registration is $100. 15 goes to the state,  rest goes in a fund to pay clubs to maintain trails, making it one of  the few self funded statewide recreation programs. (Hunting is another ). IF you belong to a club your registration is only  $45, state still gets 15. This was initiated to compel the people that use the trails to join a club and help out with trails. Most join a club for the savings but are never seen helping out.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Crusarius

What moose said. I just registered mine today. club fee cost $30 registration $45. if you are not part of a club it is more I thought 115 but I could be wrong I always join a club since the main trail in NYS runs right down my back lot line.

starmac

Wow, what happens if you are caught with no registration?

Crusarius

I think it can be up to $500 that was what my buddy that did not register said last year. I think it was only $250 the prior years.

coxy

Quote from: Crusarius on December 10, 2017, 08:11:23 AM
I think it can be up to $500 that was what my buddy that did not register said last year. I think it was only $250 the prior years.
:D :D ill tell you how much it is 500 no reg 500 no insurance  and what ever the judge has for court  fees  the insurance ticket will reflect on your auto insurance   around here they use to have 377 skidoos but that day they had an 800  :o :D

MartyParsons

Hello,
  We are always ready for a snowmobile trip. Just got the sleds in the shop last evening. So might take me a few days. Watch ilsnow.com just about everyday for up dates on storms and trail conditions. Like to ride at Old Forge, but will travel to find snow.
You all seem to like pictures.

Trail 10 on the Town of Web trail system.

Forth Lake in the Fulton Chain of lakes.

Magic you ever want to go let me know.

Marty

"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Magicman

Thanks Marty.  Maybe it will be doable.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bruno of NH

MM snowmobiling is some of the best times I ever had.
My father inlaw and I would ride a lot you can see some nice country.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Thank You Sponsors!