iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

forks for skidder blade?

Started by krusty, December 03, 2017, 06:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krusty

This winter I would like to be able to stack logs somewhat better than just pushing....any thoughts on adding some forks to the blade of a TJ? There are 'chain on' forks you can get for a tractor bucket but any ideas of adding some temp forks to a blade?

Autocar

Before you get to into your project try chaining a log on the front of the blade and try lifting it. You may find out that it won't work out to good. Maybe it was a problem on my skidder at the time but mine wouldn't lift a saw log but will stack anything I want to push.
Bill

Riwaka

redneck

I added some to my timberjack blade so I lift log onto my sawmill.  It has enough power to lift a good amount of weight.  I still have to get out to roll them off onto the mill but not enough bother for me to add a cylinder for tilting.   
I also use the forks for lifting logs to cut my firewood, save my back from bending over. 
I will post some pics maybe this week if I get a chance.
208 timberjack 353 detroit, case 580 super K backhoe, homemade bandmill, 357xp, 372xpg

mike_belben

Any skidder should be able to lift the typical log by blade.  If not,suspect relief valve issue.

The problem is with no curl back or curl forward you will just chase logs around all day with the perpetually wrong fork angle trying to pick them up.. And be hung up with logs following you every time you try to back out.. There will be no stacking, the forks would tipped way up when blade raises. 

I have these issue now with an articulated forklift designed for timber and it has curl.  No sense even trying it without.

A grapple on the blade.. Now thats worth its weight in gold.
Praise The Lord

Southside

Riwaka -

I do that all the time, I even load that way sometimes using a ramp built up out of tops covered with a layer of chips, it actually works really well. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Chop Shop

I have a friend that uses a small Garrett to load a sawmill deck.

He has welded a tab with a hole on the top edge out at the outer corners of the blade.  He has then added a couple "dogs" that hinge on the tabs.   They look exactly like the dogs off of a dragsaw or a peavy.

He drives up to a log and starts pushing it with the blade down.  Then he hops out and flips the dogs over and hammers them into the log.   Then he picks up the blade and the log goes up with it.   The way the angle and arc is cut on the dogs it makes the weight of the log set the dogs tighter.

Once he lifts it up and sets it on the log deck, he just backs up and lowers the blade at the same time.  It just unrolls the log out of the dogs and he goes and gets another.

mike_belben

Id just put a pair of weld clevis for chain loops at the corners of the blade if i had to load a sawmill with one.  The time spent getting out to chain up will be offset by never dealing with the forks on an arc issues i described.
Praise The Lord

krusty

Redneck pls post pics when you have a moment.

Thank You Sponsors!