iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blades

Started by Furrfactor, December 05, 2017, 06:50:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Furrfactor

Good Morning. I use a Enercraft 30 full hydro and need to buy some blades. what is the best out there? I saw a lot different wood and want the most durable blade out there. I was raised on a circle saw and kind of new to the band style mill.

Southside

Welcome to the Forum.  I guess a couple of questions that would help to provide you with opinions to that questions are in order, and remember these are opinions. 

What species a you looking to saw?

How many HP is your mill?

What is your market for your lumber?  IE - personal use, selling to a pallet shop, etc?

Personally I have gone to the Wood Mizer Turbo 7 as my go to band.  I don't know what it is about that design but my mill cuts better with those, less wavy cuts, no issues at all with hard knots and I find they keep a sharper edge longer.  I do have some others but this is what I buy as replacements these days.  Just curious, what part of Virginia are you in?

Jim
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Furrfactor!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Furrfactor

Lake Gaston. Kinda center of Va but on southern Border to NC. We run a excavation company and used to sell all our logs. now days that's hard to impossible to do so I found a mill. 24 HP Silva Saw ( Ener craft)  Baker I guess bought out the orginal mill design. I repaired a lot of things but over all its a fun mill and very little labor. we sell some and use the rest for building rental cabins and other things. I'm also in re market for a edger if there may be one for sale.

Southside

We are just up the road from you, basically on the edge of Ft Pickett. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

scsmith42

I'm a couple of hours south of you. We've been very pleased with the Kasco 7/40's on Tom (Baker 3638d).

Welcome to the FF!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Southside

scsmith,

Are those more or less the same as the WM Turbo 7 band?  I think it's a 7-39, but I really don't know what the 39 means. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

terrifictimbersllc

7 is angle of face of tooth from vertical.
39 is angle of back of tooth from horizontal.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Southside

Thanks terrifictimber,

So if I understand you correctly a 7-40 would be just a tad bit thinner at the tooth than a 7-39?
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

terrifictimbersllc

The back of the tooth would have a 40 degree angle from horizontal.  I guess if you measured the included angle between the back and face of the tooth it would be 1 degree less (more pointy) than a 7/39, if that's what you mean by thinner.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

JB Griffin

The Kasco7/40 is like the WM turbo7, only better.

It has a slightly deeper gullet that is shaped a little different and 40deg back angle instead of 39.5deg. I believe that it cuts smoother and stays sharp much longer than the WM silvertip blades that they stick us 2" blade users with.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Southside

JB Griffin

How do the Kasco's compare with dust removal?  I am not all that impressed with the amount of dust left on the boards. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

JB Griffin

Southside, they're about the same which don't bother me, all I want is flat and fast.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Southside

Thanks,

Green wood does not bother me so much, but the reclaimed will come off the mill and head into the edger then planer and eventually the moulder so I am trying to get it as clean as possible.
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!