iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

L 10 cummins

Started by coxy, December 04, 2017, 05:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

are they any good  and how about power hope it better than the 6 71 dd  looking at a tandem truck with one in it I'm going to use it to  haul logs/fire wood about 10-12miles  and use it after that just for a landing loader do they start good in the cold

s grinder

They were a good engine in there day.They were popular with the freight industry in the early to mid eighties for trucks hauling under 80K.Like the old Detroits as time and miles rolled on they became very wet engines,rocker housing gaskets were their big issues.The popular ones  were in the 300/350 HP range.

snowstorm

I have one. Way more lugging power than a 671 and it starts better in cold weather. At 10 below push the button it's running. Look at the oil pan mine rusted an leaked. It is a plow sand truck. If you ever have to put a new water pump in it you will have a bad day

barbender

All I can say is, please call it a Cummins😁
Too many irons in the fire

tacks Y

The later years (92,3) are electronic. ECMs are harder to get and more money now, Cummins Celect. I am running 330hp and 1250 ft lbs of torque. Starts good but have not run it in the cold much. I put it in place of a 8V71 in a bus, rv.

tule peak timber

I installed twin 555 turbo inter-cooled Cummins in a boat I owned and thought a lot of them.Pre electronics. They ran like tops. Zoom, zoom.... I also ran 855's in another boat that ran slower for many  years non stop. I can not say anything bad about Cummins .........Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

starmac

For the power the L 10's are rated for, they are one of the best engines out there, in my opinion. I would not want one for a full semi engine, but have run them in tandem trucks and they did a good job.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

longtime lurker

They are a throw away motor: the Cummins equivalent to a 3208 Cat...you run them until they blow, then pull them out and toss them and repower with something else.

For all that they weren't bad when they were running. Just a small block running pretty hard at 300HP, not designed for heavy spec work or built to last forever.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

mike_belben

Comparing to a 3208 is a pretty low blow.

The L10 is a wet liner straight six config with only one headgasket and set of manifolding to leak or crack.  Thats a far cry better than a 3208 imo with parent bore cylinders and twice the gaskets and heads to fail.  Every overhaul is a full machine job.

Id take the L10 over 3208 any day.  Aftermarket kits are about $1400.
Praise The Lord

coxy

Quote from: barbender on December 04, 2017, 07:38:24 PM
All I can say is, please call it a Cummins😁
it was  I changed it again  think it stayed this time

s grinder

Snowstorm,the L10,M11 and ISM same family of engines,working for a fleet after about 20 water pumps you get good at it .The were famous for cold water leaks out if the weep /vent hole in the water pump. You stirred up old memories/ nightmares !

snowstorm

i put a water pump in mine. couldnt get the pulley off finally burned it off. that took care of that. what didnt help was it being a plow truck the hood dose not open. lets just say it was not much fun

Thank You Sponsors!