The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Cherry yard logs  (Read 1379 times)

Lawg Dawg and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Dudaks

• Livin' the Dream
Cherry yard logs
« on: December 04, 2017, 02:19:52 pm »
Good afternoon,

There is a CL listing advertising two cherry logs in my area and I am not sure what would be a fair offer. This would be my first time purchasing logs to saw as so far I have been fortunate enough to pick up free logs to get some milling experience. My concern is being fair without overpaying. The logs are large diameter, 32", and 8' and 9' in length.

I would like to grab these logs but the owner is asking $250.00 a log. Not sure I want to spend that kind of money but would like some guidance as to whether or not that price is unreasonable.

Thanks,

Fred

Offline GAB

• Senior Member x2
Re: Cherry yard logs
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 02:46:50 pm »
When it comes to yard trees my policy is I will take them, but I will not pay for them.
My opinion is that that price is too high even delivered.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34 w/6' ext & SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Offline catalina

• Its a dogs Life!
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 02:59:29 pm »
based on Doyle scale and "IF" that 32 inch is the small end of each log and "IF" they are good, straight logs that figures out to 833 board ft (Doyle scale) at roughly 30 cents a board ft. That's about what cherry saw logs are going for around here assuming log truck quantities. Given risk of metal in yard trees and having to load/haul yourself honestly it comes down to what its worth to you. Personally Im with GAB on this one, but if I had easy load/haul abilities and really wanted those particular logs i might go 100-120 tops as those are gonna take some time on most bandmills and you assume all the risk. You might check a local mill to see what you could buy a couple logs for at a time and use that as your basis too.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 06:04:12 pm »
Well, it sounds more like to me .60+ cents a bdft per log and if they are metal free, then that could work out just fine, even if, and this is the tricky part, even if you hit metal, there is a good chance its on on face, maybe two faces only, so, a metal detector may be a good idea before negotiating a price, I've tore up some mighty fine bands trying to get the good from what was an (heirloom) log,, it could be a jackpot, and it could be a 60-80 buck burn for a "?" mark,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 06:12:37 pm »
   I have seen ads like that and if it looked like it might be good logs (Cherry or walnut - so far no other wood I was interested in) I'd reply telling them they could bring them to me and I'd saw them on shares. I figure the worst he could say is no. If it is good logs potentially you could both do well on that deal.

BTW - I've never seen cherry that big. I wonder if he sealed the end when he bucked them to length. My cherry checks quickly and badly.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline cwimer973

• I'm new! Wood-Mizer LT10 - Please Help Me Learn
    • Wimer Hardwoods
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 06:19:25 pm »
$50 a stick never more.  If there was a better offer it would already be gone. And that is delivered to your mill to roll or lift on.
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Chris

Offline nativewolf

• I'm new!
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 06:44:34 pm »
   I have seen ads like that and if it looked like it might be good logs (Cherry or walnut - so far no other wood I was interested in) I'd reply telling them they could bring them to me and I'd saw them on shares. I figure the worst he could say is no. If it is good logs potentially you could both do well on that deal.

BTW - I've never seen cherry that big. I wonder if he sealed the end when he bucked them to length. My cherry checks quickly and badly.

Well how is this? 

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 07:00:11 pm »
Native,

I don't know. Is that a clipboard for scale on between the 2 forks? I can see where that butt could easily be that big but I sure don't see how you are going to keep it intact unless you cut from the top down and use a crane and such. Even then I don't see how you can keep slabs from the butt log together. If you do I want to see the results.

Good luck and be careful.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 07:05:38 pm »
Too much $$$ Go less than And del.
2008 LT40 super,2008 edger, Cat telahandler, JD 5410 And can cut up to 45' long
http://www.forestryforum.com/sanbornton     NH Timberland Owners Association supporter.
And a license NH soft wood grader.
Sawing since 1987

Offline nativewolf

• I'm new!
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 07:24:35 pm »
Yeah that is going to be a challenge and that is a legal pad.  I've never seen anything like it, huge just does not describe it, that was a find today. 

We'll cut the stems, thankfully we have access to a crane.  Then we'll somehow get the stump cut.  Should be fun to get slabbed. 

Ok, I'll post some of the other cherry we saw today, 30" or so in several trees.  Going to rain tomorrow so it might be Wed or Thursday.

Offline nativewolf

• I'm new!
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 07:30:05 pm »
Too much $$$ Go less than And del.

Yeah if they are nice logs 250 for the two would be ok if they were delivered.  We are getting .60 to .80 /bdft in good logs in cherry (export pricing) so that would be a better price if delivered.  Thing is they don't make lots of 30" cherry great table top stuff. 

Online TKehl

• Certified Contrarian
    • Kehlhof Ranch
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 08:32:35 pm »
If that butt log separates (probable), I would try to glue it back together and slab it with extra thickness.  Maybe 3-4 ratchet straps to be removed and replaced behind the blade as cut progresses.

Don't know if it would work, but worth a shot.  I see a potentially amazing piece of furniture if successful.
Lucas 6-13+slabber, Mr. Sawmill bandmill, orange chainsaws, JD SSL, Case Backhoe, farm tractors, trailers, and 150ish acres of trees.  Fledgling woodshop with CNC router, laser engraver, Woodmaster 712, and a Berlin 108 moulder (project).  Oh, and a lovely (patient) wife and four offbearers.

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2017, 09:51:04 pm »
Bottom 5' is junk, I can see the crack on the left. It will have a black line, crack, It will fall apart.
Good wood is above the clipboard.
2008 LT40 super,2008 edger, Cat telahandler, JD 5410 And can cut up to 45' long
http://www.forestryforum.com/sanbornton     NH Timberland Owners Association supporter.
And a license NH soft wood grader.
Sawing since 1987

Offline PA_Walnut

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 05:39:32 am »
It happens...I was asked about buying some standing trees in a small patch right in the middle of a farmer's field. Went with low expectation and discovered a 38" cherry which was VERY straight and lovely, and 36" black walnut which appears sound and straight as an arrow for 20'.  ;D

Hopefully they aren't hollow or full of metal.  :-\

Not far from that, just looked at a sycamore that is 65+" diameter and straight for at LEAST 40'.  :o Lovely quartersawing goodie!

Taking them down this weekend. Will post pix.
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe

Offline ToddsPoint

• Full Member x2
  • Stockmaker and Carver
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2017, 05:54:24 am »
I'm a hobbyist, not a pro.  My first and last log purchase was 2 walnut logs from the same tree that had been in a barn for 30 yrs.  I paid $100 and got a lower log full of metal and bugs.  20" X 8' to firewood.  Upper log was okay and got a couple nice gunstocks so broke even.  From now on, if it's free, it's for me.  Gary 
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

Offline PA_Walnut

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2017, 06:26:00 am »
For me, it's a "no risk, no reward" situation...especially since I'm usually seeking the bigger and higher-end material.

A metal scanner is cheap and it a pretty good approximation of whether or not there's metal. It catches most, but some gets by. I recently quartersawed a 40" white oak and rolled snake-eyes. It exhibited metal in the end of the log, but nothing on scan. I bought it from a stand-up log dude, who will make it up to me, but still painful. Labor is expensive.

Bottom line, is that the risk is usually always on the dude who opens up the log. Only you can decide the risk:reward ratio.

On the other hand, recently cut this walnut butt-log which had a nail in the very bottom. Once I extracted it, there was some epic material in there, like this 12/4, 22" wide piece that is making my personal stash.  :o

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel

Offline nativewolf

• I'm new!
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2017, 06:49:15 am »
It happens...I was asked about buying some standing trees in a small patch right in the middle of a farmer's field. Went with low expectation and discovered a 38" cherry which was VERY straight and lovely, and 36" black walnut which appears sound and straight as an arrow for 20'.  ;D

Hopefully they aren't hollow or full of metal.  :-\

Not far from that, just looked at a sycamore that is 65+" diameter and straight for at LEAST 40'.  :o Lovely quartersawing goodie!

Taking them down this weekend. Will post pix.

Do take photos!  Those big Sycamore are usually hollow around here.  Good luck with them all. 

Offline Southside logger

• Senior Member x2
  • Logging so I can afford to farm.
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2017, 07:16:16 am »
Like the others said, overpriced.  There is a reason it's on CL, and it's probably because it's a yard tree that they would not pay to have removed and no mill will buy it.  They would have to pay a tree service a hefty fee to get it out of there, so don't be afraid to remind them of that if you choose to go after them. 

For perspective I find this video to be quite helpful. 
'92 Franklin 170 grapple skidder
'92 Franklin 5000 wheeled buncher
Wicked Awesome Basset Hound * 2
JD 490D with 4 roller FabTek processer / hydraulic hose breaker
Hot wife
Wood Mizer LT35HDG25, Re-saw attachment
Official Member of the BBFC

Offline PA_Walnut

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2017, 06:17:12 pm »
Wow! That is PERFECT!! Just awesome!! Thanks for the laugh.

Like the others said, overpriced.  There is a reason it's on CL, and it's probably because it's a yard tree that they would not pay to have removed and no mill will buy it.  They would have to pay a tree service a hefty fee to get it out of there, so don't be afraid to remind them of that if you choose to go after them. 

LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel

Offline Crossroads

• Full Member x2
  • Let's make some sawdust!
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2017, 06:21:42 pm »

Lol, if only I had seen this video before I paid $100 for a highly valuable black walnut tree, on the condition that I take all of it. By the time I was done I had realized the error of my ways and figured the next time a situation like that came up, I would be the one receiving the money. Lessons learned;)
2017 LT40 wide