iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What’s the Answer?

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, December 04, 2017, 11:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

A guy called me just now.....
He wants me to get a dry log out of my yard.
He wants a 6x6x8 Pine to make 2 table legs.
He wants to get out as cheap as he can.
He just wants a straight 6x6x8 post from a dry log.
Since he's tryin to get out as cheap as he can he does not want
anything fancy or spectacular.

What does a straight, fancy, spectacular 6x6x8 look like from a dry log?  say_what
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Savannahdan

Surely you told him that he'd need at least 2 of those since most tables have 4 legs. :laugh:
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

goose63

have you been giveing him purple drank???????????  :D
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

paul case

You should tell him that ''Tha Goat Aint Got Nuttin That Is Straight!''

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Darrel

Just get that old log that the goats have been climbing on and tell him it's the best you have.

:D ;D :D :laugh:
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Chop Shop

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on December 04, 2017, 11:53:17 AM

What does a straight, fancy, spectacular 6x6x8 look like from a dry log?  say_what

Looks like $300, don't it?

Resonator

Give one of the sticks you stack lumber on. That shouldn't be to fancy or spectacular. :)
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

terrifictimbersllc

Tell him you don't dry out logs because the ratio of tangential to radial shrinkage isn't pi.   :snowball:
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WDH

The answer is that it is a waste of time  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

I don't know, I've dealt with similar in the past, and there are some older dryer logs tucked back.  Its amazing what a 10" log can produce in regards to a 6x6.  It sounds like he is either going against a wall and just needs two, or, he is making a heavy duty coffee table kinda thing,, either way, sounds like a quick wack and hack job, at least to me, I reckon this old goat eats more briars than the Carolina goat,  Oh, I forgot,  sorry, you are a Clemson goat, ;D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Peter Drouin

I would just grab the first log in the pile make his 6x6 and sell it for what you get for a 6x6x8.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

On his table one side is connected to a wall.

Says he gonna turn 2 legs out of the 6x6.

I did exactly what Peter said and charged him $30 and went back to catching up my orders.

All in all a Spectacular day.  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

barbender

Is that figure missing a zero?😁
Too many irons in the fire

4x4American

Some ppl... I sold a lady two 16' pine bartops 1 live edge.  I guess she figures that a live edge means the bark is still attached.  I splained it to her that the bark usually falls off esp on a summer cut log...live edge just means its not ripped straight in da edger..  I told her to try and staple or nail the bark on...  Well shes missing the bark in a few places so she emailed me asking if she could come over and get a bag of bark lol..I said sure theres plenty of bark lying around maybe you can find what you're looking for.  If she asks me to cut the bark to fit the 3" bartop I'm gonna have to do all I can to contain myself lol
Boy, back in my day..

barbender

:D :D The bark whisperer ;D
Too many irons in the fire

Peter Drouin

4x4 I tell the customer I have only sell live edge, not natural edge.
Live has no bark
Natural has bark. I don't sell Natural.  ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Percy

Quote from: 4x4American on December 04, 2017, 07:49:59 PM
Some ppl... I sold a lady two 16' pine bartops 1 live edge.  I guess she figures that a live edge means the bark is still attached.  I splained it to her that the bark usually falls off esp on a summer cut log...live edge just means its not ripped straight in da edger..  I told her to try and staple or nail the bark on...  Well shes missing the bark in a few places so she emailed me asking if she could come over and get a bag of bark lol..I said sure theres plenty of bark lying around maybe you can find what you're looking for.  If she asks me to cut the bark to fit the 3" bartop I'm gonna have to do all I can to contain myself lol
Lol@bag of bark  :D :D :D :D

Oh man Im dyin here  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Bags of bark for sale......or just callem Barkbags hahahahahahahahahahahhahaha
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Kbeitz

You need to invest in a bark-O-matic machine.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Southside

I would tell her that only dogwood still has the bark.....
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Is the bark-o-matic like the bass-o-matic? Remember that one?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

petefrom bearswamp

Bassomatic oh  yeah that's good bass
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

There is something fishy about that because it would be Basswood.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Resonator

Yes the days of scaling, cutting and gutting are over! (Dan Akroyd, Saturday Night Live, Bass-O-Matic76).
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Thank You Sponsors!