iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got one of these

Started by Percy, December 04, 2017, 12:17:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grizzly

I've never heard of this! But then I don't hang around machinist much. I'll have to remember next time I have an old battery to go away and save some acid. I'll need a tall jar for some of the big files though.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Kbeitz

I'll take some pictures when I do my next batch. Old rusted dirty files
look like new ones when done.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

LAZERDAN

Novascotiamill

Thats a handy looking rig,ive been sending my chains out to get sharpened at 10.00 a pop,my eyes are not soo good anymore. Think ill track one of these down and give it a try,maybe I can get my son to learn the skill and sharpen them for me .
2017 HM130
Stihl 261
2010 F150 xtr
Lots of rigid genx5 tools
1 long haired german shepherd
2017 kioti ck2610HST with FEL and forks
Grindlux band sharpener
Wicked 55" root rake grapple
O

Percy

Quote from: hersnsh#590 on December 06, 2017, 08:08:33 PM
I've got a question.  When I file by hand, I spin the file a bit between sharpening teeth.  I think this keeps the wear even on the file.  I also clean the file a couple of times with a rag while sharpening a 16"chain.  I get quite a bit of residue when I clean the file.  I also "rinse" the file in a bottle of WD 40 to flush the file occasionally.  All of this may be a waste of time when hand filing, but I don't believe I could easily do any of this with the 2 in1 filers.  On the positive side, there's no question I'd get a more uniform ( and probably much better) filing with one of these filers.

I guess my question is how easy is it to change the round files, and especially the flat raker file?

Thanks
Dale
You bring up a good point. The files this unit comes with are very good but after reading your post, I think Ill rotate the round ones after a bit to get max life out of them. I dont presume that this thing will do a better job than a journeyman chainsaw operator. But it will get close and while it seems like Im loafing along, the whole job is done much quicker than the old way....
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

btulloh

For cleaning and sharpening files I use white vinegar and let the files soak for 24 hours or so.  Works well.  Don't know how it compares to battery acid, but the white vinegar is easier to handle and always available.  I get a little jumpy handling sulphuric acid, especially trying to pour it out of a battery.  Maybe KB could run a comparison test for us.
HM126

pineywoods

Battery acid (sulfuric acid) is diluted with water. Still tricky nasty stuff to handle. Vinegar is much safer and works just as well, just a lot slower. I use vinegar to de-rust small parts when re-building stuff..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Grizzly

Ok. So first I learn about acid (not the 60's kind) and now I learn that vinegar and patience will do the same thing? That's much better with the children working around the shop all the time.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Kbeitz

I just unpop the first battery cap and pick it up and dump the acid in a quart jar.
Put on glasses.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Resonator

I have burned many holes in clothing pulling dead batteries from machinery. A much safer method is to take molasses and dilute it 10:1 with water. Coca-cola could be used as well.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

drobertson

I figure at a buck and a quarter, and multiple loops fuzzed down, why even mess with the battery acid thing, now it goes to say waste not want not, but mercy, there's a limit to just how far to go in this.  with the proper (plastic) covers, a round file will, should last for many, many sharpenings, I've found that abuse to files, abuse like improper handling and storing do more, and have to say repairable damage than the actual use of it. I've heard of the acid etching treatment.  With the cross section of the files tooth and the strength of it, the point is pointless, JMO,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Kbeitz

In my experience my files get packed with oil and dirt more than getting dull.
The acid eats the dirt away.  I️ use a quart jar with a plastic lid with a
1/2" hole in the middle. I️ just drop the file in the hole and the next day take it out.  I️ have another jar made with the rince.  Wood files fill up fast.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

drobertson

K, be sure to know I was not knocking you or the practice ,, I just got use to brass bushes for files, when they are done, they are gone that's all.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Kbeitz

Quote from: drobertson on December 07, 2017, 05:04:51 PM
K, be sure to know I was not knocking you or the practice ,, I just got use to brass bushes for files, when they are done, they are gone that's all.

No problem. 
Did you know you can buy a file brush. It's not brass but steel. 
They work good.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

drobertson

Yes, and thanks, used file card for years, I just prefer brass brushes, not just for files, for sharp cutting edged tools of all sorts, they work much like a butcher's steel, but are more for clearing debris than straightening out cutting edges, without taking the edge off.

knoxville

Does the Stihl 2-1 use special proprietary files, or can you use standard chain files?
you know butter but i know ham

btulloh

File carders (the brush you're referring to) work well to clean the files when used on a regular basis but they don't sharpen the files.  Chainsaw files I do consider somewhat disposable, but the collection of good machinist files is too expensive to replace on a regular basis for me.  When a nice file stops cutting well, into the vinegar it goes.  Faster than trying to find a good replacement too.  Files are like chains as far in my opinion.  Sharper is better.

Same with drill bits.  Bit twist drill bits are expensive and besides that, you need it when you need it.  If it's lost it's edge I use my Drill Doctor.  (I'm sure KB can sharpen bits on a bench grinder, but I can't.)  Sharpening larger bits pays for the drill doctor real fast, plus I've always got a sharp bit for job.  (Sorry - off the subject, but then so is the acid thing.)

====
I'd like to try one of those Stihl jigs that started this thread, but then I'd need two or three different ones.  It's getting harder for my aging eyes to see what I'm doing with the file so I can keep the angle correct.
HM126

Percy

Quote from: knoxville on December 08, 2017, 02:35:15 PM
Does the Stihl 2-1 use special proprietary files, or can you use standard chain files?
Only guessing here but I think the round ones are standard. The raker file is  a fairly fat square one.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

hopm

Been sharpening by hand as long as I can remember. Butchered chains for years. Got the 2n1.....it works...does a great job....just nearly idiot proof

Kbeitz

Quote from: btulloh on December 08, 2017, 03:44:55 PM
File carders (the brush you're referring to) work well to clean the files when used on a regular basis but they don't sharpen the files.  Chainsaw files I do consider somewhat disposable, but the collection of good machinist files is too expensive to replace on a regular basis for me.  When a nice file stops cutting well, into the vinegar it goes.  Faster than trying to find a good replacement too.  Files are like chains as far in my opinion.  Sharper is better.

Same with drill bits.  Bit twist drill bits are expensive and besides that, you need it when you need it.  If it's lost it's edge I use my Drill Doctor.  (I'm sure KB can sharpen bits on a bench grinder, but I can't.)  Sharpening larger bits pays for the drill doctor real fast, plus I've always got a sharp bit for job.  (Sorry - off the subject, but then so is the acid thing.)

====
I'd like to try one of those Stihl jigs that started this thread, but then I'd need two or three different ones.  It's getting harder for my aging eyes to see what I'm doing with the file so I can keep the angle correct.

I got the drill doctor the Darex and another one I can't remember the name of.
But I don't like wasting time setting them up unless I'm doing a 100 bits.
I have been hand grinding them since I was a kid. What I really don't like is
the new split point bits. They are great until they need sharpened then it's a
real pain. You have to thin the web after each sharpening . I even hand sharpen
my milling bits. It's not hard after you do a few 100. Try hand sharpening a drill
bit with a cut off wheel when your out on a job and there is no grinder around.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

moodnacreek

Although I file by eye and have for 52 years, a jig 0r machine that really works will beat the best man's eye. If your chainsaw can cut straight buried in wood, fast, undercut, bore cut  with little effort, it doesn't  matter how it was done. also if you can file by eye all you need is that file pocket on your work pants and 1 sharp file.

TreeStandHunter

I use this daily, Once you get the hang of it you'll be able to get your chains factory sharp no problem it is a great tool to have saves alot of time
In the process of building my own mill.

Thank You Sponsors!