iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got one of these

Started by Percy, December 04, 2017, 12:17:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Percy

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/filing-tools/2in1file/

I been saw sharpening for a long time and can usually get it right....but this thing saves time and keeps the rakers where they should be....and gets it righter than me ;D ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

SlowJoeCrow

I have this item on my wishlist.  I am just like you, been hand filing for a long time.  Everyone that has one raves about it.

Grizzly

Do you need to be experienced to use it? Or would it work as a teaching tool for my boys? My lack of mobility means I can't be out with them as much as I'd like and they need a little help with keeping a chain good.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Percy

Quote from: Grizzly on December 04, 2017, 10:40:26 AM
Do you need to be experienced to use it? Or would it work as a teaching tool for my boys? My lack of mobility means I can't be out with them as much as I'd like and they need a little help with keeping a chain good.
No. I feel like a greenhorn using it but it does a better job than I could freehand. Your boys will
Love it as the saw will cut properly. Only thing they could screw up is the angle and you can direct them appropriately.

Grizzly

Thanks Percy. I'll check them out next time we go to the big town.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

starmac

Mine are husky and look a little different, but they do work well. I was never the greatest chain filer, but they even surprised a friend of mine, who was a feller for years.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

samandothers

Watched a couple videos on using. I may have to try one.  It is good it files both the cutting tooth and drag/rack tooth at the same time.

I may have to try one for my Stihl .325 chain.  If I understood correctly you would need one for each size chain.

starmac

The ones that are branded husky, you have to have different ones for the different chain.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

drobertson

this is one of those " I just don't know?" things for me, I mean the idea sounds good, but from what I've experienced some teeth get hammered more, but, I reckon when you get to that tooth work it til its right,, sounds like a good idea,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

moodnacreek

Bought one like that from Pferd. It hangs on the wall with the others. I couldn't  figure out how to use it.  The instructions where worthless to me. Now on the sawmill blade I love the Dexter file guide but on chainsaws I always go  back to filing by eye.

4x4American

Does it charpen da cutter and lower da raker in da same stroke?
Boy, back in my day..

SlowJoeCrow

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

PAmizerman

I've had mine for about two years now. Works like a charm. I'd never go back to my electric sharpener. The file does an awesome job. If anyone does buy one you have to check and make sure it has the diameter file you need. Even though they are marked for ⅜ or .325 their are a couple diameter files they use. I found out after I bought mine and had to run back to town.
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Jjoness4

Quote from: 4x4American on December 04, 2017, 07:42:53 PM
Does it charpen da cutter and lower da raker in da same stroke?
It

It's better than the electric ones that spittzen ze sparken and blowen ze fusin :D
2017 LT40HDD35 , Kubota 4701, Ford 3000, Stihl Farmboss

Percy

:D :D :D :D :D :D

I was reading some of the reviews of this tool. Some said they over-filed the depth gauge/rakers. Today I tried hard to do that but couldnt. There is a piece that slides on the back of the chain., an inch or so ahead of the tooth/raker you are sharpening that avoids this.....at least in my case. I l thought I was good at sharpening but today, being the showoff I am, I was holding the 390 husky just with the throttle hand while the 32 inch bar and chain self fed itself through a 28 inch yellow cedar in no time. Filled my boot with large chipped sawdust quickly. IMO dont be buying shares in electric chainsaw sharpening gear ;D ;D

Brucer

I bought the Pferd version about 15 years ago for my bigger saws and it quickly became my "go to" sharpener. The problem with the old style Pferd is you have to remove the two files and reverse them to saw the "other side" of the chain.

I bought the Stihl double-sided sharpener for my MS170 and it works great. No changing files -- just flip it over to file the "other side".
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

moodnacreek

Good posts; I should try to use mine again.

SlowJoeCrow

I have always hand filed my chains since I was taught how to.  I have used chains that have been sharpened with those electric grinders and they don't do as good of a job.  I have been out cutting firewood with others and have stopped to sharpen my chain.  While stopped I filed the other guys chain, which he normally has sharpened on an electric grinder... he says wow, what a difference, its never sawn like this before!!

Resonator

Both have there place. I hit a railroad spike buried in a maple log once, and was able to save the chain with the electric sharpener. It would have taken a lot of time to straighten the cutters with a hand file. I use the hand file to touch up the chain before each day of cutting. I looked at the Stihl 2in1, looks real nice, but at $45 bucks, I'll think about it.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

drobertson

there's definitely an art to getting chains right by hand. electric grinders are handy at times,,and gadgets like this are too. from what I've seen around these parts, there are folks that can doctor their own loops while others fight it.
Bottom line to me is I believe most folks that carry a saw all day, burning 5-6 tanks of fuel, they know the art of sharpening, as well as reducing the need for fixing rocked teeth. Some friends of mine do TSI work all year long, private lands, state and federal lands as well, Wes, I call him a human mountain goat, can put an edge on a loop that is unbelievable.  He showed me a few years back, its a process so to speak, but sure makes for an effortless task of felling timber, they just eat away, both sides the bar, bore cuts the same. All said, and I believe it, anything that makes sawing easier is worth a look, and I see no reason why this thingy ma jig won't work,, folks just need the proper file size and know why,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

hersnsh#590

I've got a question.  When I file by hand, I spin the file a bit between sharpening teeth.  I think this keeps the wear even on the file.  I also clean the file a couple of times with a rag while sharpening a 16"chain.  I get quite a bit of residue when I clean the file.  I also "rinse" the file in a bottle of WD 40 to flush the file occasionally.  All of this may be a waste of time when hand filing, but I don't believe I could easily do any of this with the 2 in1 filers.  On the positive side, there's no question I'd get a more uniform ( and probably much better) filing with one of these filers.

I guess my question is how easy is it to change the round files, and especially the flat raker file?

Thanks
Dale
TK 1600, small sugaring operation, a bench full of J'reds, a tired ford 1710, new to us JD 5065e, 2 Honda 4 whlrs, a Can-Am 580 on tracks, and a very understanding wife.

Kbeitz

You can make a file like new again by soaking in a glass jar of battery acid over night.
Rinse with water and baking soda and wipe with oil. It make the file very sharp again.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

LAZERDAN

I don't mean to be stupid here, but do you pour the acid out of a battery ?

Lazerdan

Kbeitz

Quote from: LAZERDAN on December 06, 2017, 08:59:50 PM
I don't mean to be stupid here, but do you pour the acid out of a battery ?

Lazerdan

I keep all the acid out of my dead batteries...
Great for taking rust off other things.
I pickup nice files often out from the junkyard.
They go right in my acid bath. Files look and cut
like new when finished. The acid etches a little
metal off the files and cleans the dirt out that's
what makes them sharp again
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!