The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Got one of these  (Read 2015 times)

Offline drobertson

• Senior Member x2
Re: Got one of these
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2017, 06:20:08 pm »
Yes, and thanks, used file card for years, I just prefer brass brushes, not just for files, for sharp cutting edged tools of all sorts, they work much like a butcher's steel, but are more for clearing debris than straightening out cutting edges, without taking the edge off.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Offline knoxville

• I'm new!
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2017, 02:35:15 pm »
Does the Stihl 2-1 use special proprietary files, or can you use standard chain files?
you know butter but i know ham

Offline btulloh

• I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2017, 03:44:55 pm »
File carders (the brush you're referring to) work well to clean the files when used on a regular basis but they don't sharpen the files.  Chainsaw files I do consider somewhat disposable, but the collection of good machinist files is too expensive to replace on a regular basis for me.  When a nice file stops cutting well, into the vinegar it goes.  Faster than trying to find a good replacement too.  Files are like chains as far in my opinion.  Sharper is better.

Same with drill bits.  Bit twist drill bits are expensive and besides that, you need it when you need it.  If it's lost it's edge I use my Drill Doctor.  (I'm sure KB can sharpen bits on a bench grinder, but I can't.)  Sharpening larger bits pays for the drill doctor real fast, plus I've always got a sharp bit for job.  (Sorry - off the subject, but then so is the acid thing.)

====
I'd like to try one of those Stihl jigs that started this thread, but then I'd need two or three different ones.  It's getting harder for my aging eyes to see what I'm doing with the file so I can keep the angle correct.
HM126

Offline Percy

• Senior Member x2
  • Still got all muh fingers
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2017, 05:07:16 pm »
Does the Stihl 2-1 use special proprietary files, or can you use standard chain files?
Only guessing here but I think the round ones are standard. The raker file is  a fairly fat square one.
Its not the "years in your life" but the 'life in your years" that matters...Abe Lincoln

Offline hopm

• Full Member x2
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2017, 05:32:03 pm »
Been sharpening by hand as long as I can remember. Butchered chains for years. Got the 2n1.....it works...does a great job....just nearly idiot proof

Offline Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2017, 05:51:49 pm »
File carders (the brush you're referring to) work well to clean the files when used on a regular basis but they don't sharpen the files.  Chainsaw files I do consider somewhat disposable, but the collection of good machinist files is too expensive to replace on a regular basis for me.  When a nice file stops cutting well, into the vinegar it goes.  Faster than trying to find a good replacement too.  Files are like chains as far in my opinion.  Sharper is better.

Same with drill bits.  Bit twist drill bits are expensive and besides that, you need it when you need it.  If it's lost it's edge I use my Drill Doctor.  (I'm sure KB can sharpen bits on a bench grinder, but I can't.)  Sharpening larger bits pays for the drill doctor real fast, plus I've always got a sharp bit for job.  (Sorry - off the subject, but then so is the acid thing.)

====
I'd like to try one of those Stihl jigs that started this thread, but then I'd need two or three different ones.  It's getting harder for my aging eyes to see what I'm doing with the file so I can keep the angle correct.

I got the drill doctor the Darex and another one I can't remember the name of.
But I don't like wasting time setting them up unless I'm doing a 100 bits.
I have been hand grinding them since I was a kid. What I really don't like is
the new split point bits. They are great until they need sharpened then it's a
real pain. You have to thin the web after each sharpening . I even hand sharpen
my milling bits. It's not hard after you do a few 100. Try hand sharpening a drill
bit with a cut off wheel when your out on a job and there is no grinder around.
Collector and builder of many things.
I have a
machine shop
Wood work shop
And a Weld shop
And now a saw mill
and a bunch of new forum friends.

Offline moodnacreek

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2017, 10:11:03 pm »
Although I file by eye and have for 52 years, a jig 0r machine that really works will beat the best man's eye. If your chainsaw can cut straight buried in wood, fast, undercut, bore cut  with little effort, it doesn't  matter how it was done. also if you can file by eye all you need is that file pocket on your work pants and 1 sharp file.

Offline TreeStandHunter

• ISA Arborist from Michigan
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2017, 03:46:46 pm »
I use this daily, Once you get the hang of it you'll be able to get your chains factory sharp no problem it is a great tool to have saves alot of time
Currently only have a Panther Mill 2, hoping to upgrade to a WM soon!