iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood Mizer hydraulic loader cylinder Check valve replacement.

Started by MartyParsons, December 03, 2017, 10:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyParsons

Hello,
  Last week I had a mill that was in need of some repairs. 6000 + hours and was next to abused. I did repair some of the issues. I called the customer and said we needed to work on the base line of the mill before we get to the other repairs he was requesting.

The owner carried the loading arm cylinders in, they were not attached to the mill.  :o Not a good sign.

Anyone ever see this? These fittings are on most every WM loading arm. If the hose would fail with a big log weight the check ball would seat in the fitting and prevent the loading arm from falling. Once in a while we see these fittings break off. The customers who are in freezing climates seem to let sawdust build up around the fittings and the mill moves and snap. There is a guard on the lower part of the arm but sometimes things happen.

The best way to remove the 1/4' tapered fitting.

Left hand drill bit. 7/16" winds them right out. I have also used a screwdriver flat head the same width, and a cold chisel.

Arrow points away from the cylinder. They should be replaced as a set because some may be rated at a different GPM.

Not sure if I should post this picture. The rear loading support was bent so bad that the lower pin would not reach. So I did the best I could do. Nothing pretty and I am not a welder.  :-[

Rushed the process a little.

This picture is another " if I just would of not turned it a little more"

I welded the tap in the hole and re drilled for the grease fitting on the log turner.

Front bed bolt was rusted tight, it came loose but not the way I was expecting.   More welding.

Hydraulic blade tension gauge. When you see oil inside time for a new gauge!

This is the blade guide arm motor to move it in and out. This is NOT the way it should be installed. The motor ears always point to the drive side , note the screw in this assembly. This is also not correct.

See anything wrong here? These bolts are not bent! The metal that the bolts go through are bent. It was hard to get the alignment in the picture.

Not the same mill but the same process was used to get everything back in alignment.

A little TLC and the mill was back to the customer on Friday.

Hope this helps.

Marty

"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Percy

Oh my!! That mill musta went to a hammer fight......without a hammer.....
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Kbeitz

I thought the Hydraulic blade tension gauge was oil filled from the factory ?
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

starmac

That was my thought when I saw the picture, but apparently they do not use oil filled gauges.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Ga Mtn Man

The gauge is filled with glycerin.  You can see a line of pink ATF fluid that Marty is referring to.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

starmac

Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Peter Drouin

I did that before,

When I lost a tire going 70 down I93.

I had to drill and tap. I did buy two, but just use the one.

All new hoses too.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Dave Shepard

I broke a velocity fuse because it got frozen in the junk, also. New set was same gpm (5 gpm), so I only replaced one and now have a spare.

I like the new hydraulic gauges, no more band tension settings to scare people away from burying the needle the way WM wants you to.  :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Chuck White

I still believe that too much band tension is hard on belts and bearings!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Dave Shepard

I've got almost 1,000 hours running at 3,000 psi with no trouble. Peter D has many more hours than me with no trouble. Its not really much more strain than running the 2,500 psi they used to recommend.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

I have been running a "6 O'clock"  needle for well over 5 years and I know not how many hours.  I saw no increase in blade or belt usage, but I did see better sawing quality.

Regarding the velocity fuse; Bibbyman chucked one up in a lathe, reshaped the hex a bit and rethreaded so that the broken one fit again.  It's probably in the Useful Mods thread.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

scully

I have busted off 3 checks in the past . A couple were my own stupid fault . Easy enough fix . On the other hand I always wonder how some of the mils I see get so beat up . I can't  tolerate one single thing out of spec. on my mill .
I bleed orange  .

MartyParsons

QuoteOn the other hand I always wonder how some of the mils I see get so beat up .

This mill was purchased second hand. It was here longer than expected. I told the owner every time I went to work on it it made me sick.  >:(

His original request to up grade the Setworks to Accuset . I told him he needed more than a up grade. I think the mill will do what he wants. I have the base of the sawmill working well.
I hope others learn from the pictures.
M
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Thank You Sponsors!