iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood Mizer Power feed LT35 and LT40 new design

Started by MartyParsons, December 03, 2017, 09:24:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyParsons

Hello,
  There was a post about the power feed driven pulley coming loose. There has been a design change on all new mills and you can retro fit the earlier mills. Here is the picture.

This is a picture of the old shaft notice there is no nut on the larger pulley.

Wood Mizer recommends replacing the bearings.

Hope this helps. If you need the part # I can post them also.

Marty

"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Chuck White

More "good info" !

You're a good man for posting this kind of info!

Thanks Marty!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Marty, you said retrofit for older sawmills.  Are you speaking of '98 models?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Marty,

How far back were the machines that had the older design you are talking about that needs/recommends replacing?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Kbeitz

Quote from: Magicman on December 04, 2017, 08:25:25 AM

Don't worry Magicman... Your mill is so old that it's rusted on.
Your's will never fall off...  :D
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

samandothers

Don't worry Magicman... Your mill is so old that it's rusted on.
Your's will never fall off...  :D

Kbeitz, Glad I was not drinking something!

pineywoods

good upgrade. I see a lot of those bearings go bad, go un-noticed and ruin the shaft. I have welded up a few shafts and turned them back to correct size. I think most of the failures are from running the drive chain way to tight.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Chuck White

Piney;  If I remember, my book says allow 2" drop at the center of the drive chain when the sawhead is at either end of the mill!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on December 04, 2017, 08:25:25 AM

You may have to call OMAR'S COVERED WAGON SALES AND PARTS.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

I think that I am on my third assembly, but I ride it hard.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Percy

GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

MartyParsons

Hello,
Magic you have a Super, they are different.
WV You may have direct drive power feed on the LT35? Early LT35 are direct drive with no belt. If it has a belt then you could replace the shaft with the new design. I would not change this unless you are having issues keeping the pulley tight.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Thank You Sponsors!