iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Countertop

Started by Peter Drouin, December 03, 2017, 07:11:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

I have a formica top now that's 30+ years old. It's not loose, Can I just sand it a little and stick a new one on top of it?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Yes,  You want to remove any trace of oil, etc. and give it a good rough sanding.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bruno of NH

Yes I've done it just like MM said and it works good
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

ScottAR

Yep.  Done it more than once.  Clean it with detergent. Clean it with solvent. Sand with 120-180ish sandpaper.  Vac up the dust.  Clean steps again.  Glue and trim.  Edge pieces first. 

If you find any loose places, it's easy enough to peel off with a heat gun or plumber torch.   Torch is faster but it can pop sometimes. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

bluthum

For me like scott said except I'd use 80 grit paper on a 1/2 sheet pad sander.

Peter Drouin

Thanks for the info,

I was going to use the same glue, Like when I put it on the first time.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

ScottAR

Yep.  The stinky kind.  Try not to breathe.  ;D    I've never used it myself, but I hear the low/no solvent kind can be fickle. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Thank You Sponsors!