iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Clark 664B starts but won't move

Started by rockwall, February 19, 2019, 07:41:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockwall

A friend has a 1978 Clark Ranger 664B , just like mine. It has been running great this winter, Friday night he parked it for the weekend and went to use it Monday morning. It started right up but won't move. We live in Maine and it has been real cold and we have 3 to 4 feet of snow. He topped off the transmission fluid, checked the travel lever, checked the other transmission levers. It still won't move. What should he check next? Thanks

Firewoodjoe

Try putting a heater on it and change the filters

rockwall

Thanks. Change the transmission filter? Is there more than one?

mike_belben

Any chance rainwater has gotten into the trans? Fish a piece of clear tubing down as far into the dipstick as possible, put thumb over the top and yank it out quick onto a paper plate or something for inspection.  Look for droplets.  And keep in mind ice will evade detection on this one. 
Praise The Lord

Ed_K

Check tranny an transfer case for water. I had problems with water getting into the case thru the winch drive going into the case.
Ed K

snowstorm

dose that have a drive shaft from converter to trans? dose it turn? fiber gear that drives converter?

longtime lurker

On a 666 there's a valve on the line back from the oil cooler, behind the filter, up high back of the motor, right hand side. Line goes into it and splits there... One way to transmission, other to convertor.

Spring and washer assy inside. It sticks, she goes nowhere. That's the first place I look when a Clark won't walk.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

rockwall

Thanks for the replies! He changed the transmission filter, didn't notice anything suspicious and will try other ideas next. Luckily it is warming up outside, all the way to 18 degrees today.

rockwall

Thanks everyone. I took a space heater over and we started heating her up down low where the brake is , come to find out with deep snow and rain, there was a big frozen block stopping the shaft from turning. We thawed around the brake drum and finally she thawed enough to turn the shaft. 

strider

Must thank stone wall for the help getting me going again. Now to get out there and wade in the snow. Strider

longtime lurker

Thanks for coming back with the solution. Not that I ever expect to see ice around my brake band but its frustrating when people ask the question, solve the problem, then dont tell you what it was so you cant file it in the list of things to look for bank
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

rockwall

So,  Strider's frozen brake drum problem, just reminds me to be on the ball as far as covering skidders so water, snow and ice don't create problems . Now to be good about covering it.

Thank You Sponsors!