iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rafter span table for eastern white pine

Started by bill m, December 02, 2017, 03:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill m

I am getting ready to start framing another addition to my sugar house and would like to use white pine for the rafters. I can't find span tables for white pine so can anyone here help? The rafters will be full dimension 2X6 spaced 24 inches on center. The span is 7 feet with a 12 - 12 pitch, 1 inch pine boards with metal roofing. Will these be strong enough?
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

bill m

Don P

forum software must be kicking it out  ???
type in awc.org and you'll get to the main page, I think right column will say "calculators" or software, hit that and then the span calc is their first one.

bill m

Thanks Don. That's what I did and downloaded the charts. Not sure if I was reading it right but it looks like 2x6 pine will be ok.

drobertson

Not really sure of you all's snow load stuff that way,, but if 24" is a question,,then why not just go 16"?  it's over kill more than likely, but roofs that give way are bad too,,12-12, with a metal roof, that sounds like a good design to me, and on a short span, it should work, not sure of the knots you may be dealing with,  they seem to be the deal breaker even for SYP, very weak they can be at that tangent of the knot and wood,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Jeff

I put the link in url tags and it made it work. I think the forum software has trouble justifying a link if it does not end in n extension. Just a guess
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

That's about what our sugarhouse is, only it is 6-12 pitch!

are you putting felt paper on the roof boards, under the steel?

Could save a lot of dripping!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bill m

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

47sawdust

I've used Vermont white pine a lot for rafters,roof pitch from 3/12 to 5/12.Strapped with rough sawn 2x4 and covered with 26 gauge metal.Felt or Triflex between the metal and the strapping.If you are nervous just oversize your rafters or space closer.On my wife's garage I sawed 3x8's and spaced them 24''©.It was overkill,but looks impressive.
I've never seen a rafter table for eastern pine,most folks wouldn't consider using it but if it is for your own use I'd do it,just use common sense.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Thank You Sponsors!