iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WoodMizer LT40 Hydraulic Mill Height

Started by will49766, December 01, 2017, 08:42:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

will49766

Hello My name is Will, I am new to this forum.  I have been a member for a year or so but have not posted anything up to this point.  I am 47, married with two kids 6 and 8 and currently work in the aircraft industry as an avionics crew leader (certified A&P).  This is my 21st year in the aircraft industry.  About a year ago I happened upon a YouTube channel called "Out of the Woods Forestry" which has captivated me...  I have been watching Nathan's videos ever since.  He has inspired me to take the leap and purchase a brand new WoodMizer LT40, which is now in production.   About 25 years ago, in the early 90's, I took a trip to Indianapolis with my dad to pick up his LT40, which has since been sold...  It was a trip that was plagued with a major breakdown on our way back which caused my dad to buy a new truck a day after buying his mill. Even though we broke down, it was a great time... It was a trip I will never forget. I was really too young though at the time to care enough about learning to operate his mill but in my older years now the interest in having my own mill and learning this trade has been growing in me.  This forum has also been an inspiration.  I enjoy learning from all of the experienced sawyers here. This forum has taught me a lot, even without the actual mill.  My plans right now are to start this as a hobby and see where it leads from there.  I have still yet to acquire some of the needed support equipment as well, so it will be slow going for me at first.  Anyways, I thought I would introduce myself before asking my first question.

Question:  Can anyone tell me the height of the LT40 Hydraulic mill with the head parked?  I would like to know if the mill will fit in my garage height wise.  WoodMizer does not list this dimension anywhere that I see.  I have been meaning to call and ask them but didn't get to it before the weekend.. Basically, what I am looking for is the minimum height garage door opening I will need to fit this mill?  My current door height opening is 7 feet 3 inches which I believe will need to be modified.

Like I said this forum has been a huge help!  Thanks to all that contribute to this awesome site.

Will

Will Houghmaster

WV Sawmiller

Welcome to the FF. Go to the Woodmizer site, look up the mill you are interested in and open the specifications tab. The info you are looking for it there. This question has come up before.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Resonator

Lawg Dawg posted same question October 28, last post October 31, 2017.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

will49766

Thank you!  As far as I can see WoodMizer only posts the Max Head position of 10'6".  I will go with 91", which was the larger of the two answers Lawg Dawg received in his post, which I missed.  Thanks for the info.
Will Houghmaster

Resonator

That's what the forum is here for. Good luck with the mill, be careful sawdust is addictive... :)
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Southside

Welcome to the Forum and congratulations on the mill, I am sure you will enjoy it quite a lot.  I do have to ask, what was the reaction at home when you got back with a brand new truck towing a brand new mill?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Darrel

Welcome!  91" sounds close. My old LT40 is just a tad over 7' and the newer mills are another tad taller than that.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

jcbrotz

Don't ask me how I know mine will NOT fit in a 7ft door. I however only tried it one so I learned from the experience. It fits in an 8ft just fine :D
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, will49766!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

caveman

If it is close to fitting in the opening, letting some air out of the tires or installing the donut spares may be easier than modifying the garage although it would be a hassle if you were moving your mill in and out frequently.
Caveman

will49766

Sorry for the delay in my reply, been super busy with work and this garage door modification...  Thank you everyone for all the replies and for the welcome.  I am not really sure what I am getting into here but I have a deep desire to do this so we will see what happens when I finally get the mill.  I am totally new to this.  Southside logger, my father has always been a big spender, so I'm sure it was no surprise to my mom back then.  They owned four adult foster care homes back then so money wasn't as much of an obstacle like it is today... he's actually planning on going to get the new mill with me, so it will be reminiscent of old times.  Should be fun.   He also has a couple left over accessories that he is giving me that he kept from his mill, the attachment seat (if it will work) and the Shingle & Lapsider.  Sadly, he gave away his sharpener with the sale of his mill.

Anyway, As I have stated, I have started the modification of my garage door.  As per jcbrotz, I am making the door height 8 feet.  It's turning out not to be too major of a project thankfully.  I thought about possibly letting the air out of the tires as suggested but the door mod is the best bet. 

I am sure I will have many more questions once the mill is here.

Thanks again for all the answers and suggestions. 

Will
Will Houghmaster

Chuck White

Looks like you'll do alright Will!   ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

will49766

Will Houghmaster

Thank You Sponsors!