iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wm lt40 won't raise

Started by Byron Michael, November 30, 2017, 07:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Byron Michael

The wm lt40 has 22 hrs on it and it stopped raising. It acts like it wants to but when I pull the lever back it only starts to move then it stops. It goes down fine as well as forward and back. Any ideas?

drobertson

Wow, well, without knowing anything else, this is a hard call,, is it brand new? if so you do know to call wmz,,right? if its used, call the folks you got it from, other than that, it just sounds like binding,,lube the masts' down with some ATF, and also you did not mention the set works on the mill, so lots of possible issues,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Chuck White

With only 22 hours on the mill, I would have been on the phone to Wood-Mizer at 8:00 this morning!

I would first guess, the belt is slipping, or possibly the pads are binding up on the vertical masts!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

pineywoods

Setworks or no ? Setworks complicates things a bit..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

PAmizerman

I had that happen with my mill once but the mill had 2500 hours at the time. It was a broken drum switch. Be care full and inspect the drum switch very well. When I first looked at mine I thought the switch was fine but it was laying in there loose. As I kept messing with it and ended up shorting out my setworks and fried a module. Can no longer get parts and ended up upgrading to accuset II. Hurt the bank account but I do love the new accuset. Good luck
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

PAmizerman

Did you turn the key to  accessory so the engine is off and you can hear if the motor is trying to go up? Is the up motor receiving power?
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Byron Michael

it clicks and moves slightly then just stops. If I do that 20 times it might go up an inch.

MartyParsons

Hello,
   I am working on a 1984 with 50 hours.  I guess we need a little more info.  There are some different controls for different LT40. Some have no Setworks or Accusset, some do.
Let us guess and say it is a new LT40HDG26 mill with 20 hours on it. It would have setworks standard equipment. You would remove the top of the set works and look at the lights on the H-Bridge. Green would show it is receiving the signal from the up down drum switch when it is pushed up and red lights would come on when the drum switch is pushed down.
You mentioned it does go down. I would assume the motor is working and would not need to be checked. If you are getting a green light it could be possible that the motor magnets came loose in the motor. You could reverse the wires on the up down motor and see if the saw head would go up and not down.

In your owners manual. In the setworks manual there is a picture of the H bridge and the lights. section 1.3 trouble shooting. This would be mills 2016 or newer.

Lots of assuming here.

Not much help. But somewhere to start.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

MartyParsons

Quoteit clicks and moves slightly then just stops. If I do that 20 times it might go up an inch.

Remove the up down belt from the up down motor. Turn the pulley. If it clicks when you turn right and left. The sound is the magnets. The magnets came loose inside the motor.

Wild guess.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Take the cover off where the motor is that lifts the head.
The pulley wheel connected to the motor where the belt goes around has a set screw to tighten the pulley to the shaft.
This happened to me once and it turn out I needed to tighten the set screw.

The head came down great because all the weight brought it down.
But it slipped going up because the pulley was not tight on the shaft due to a loose set screw.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Byron Michael

Byron Michael

Thank you Marty. I have a direction now. I'll check it out tomorrow and let you know how it works. You've been a big help to this lost soul.

Sixacresand

Thanks for the informative posts.  First time my head wouldn't lift, I found the circuit breaker tripped because I let the head bottom out with the setworks. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Byron Michael

I got back out to the mill, finally, today but I only had about 15 minutes before the rain started. To my surprise the mill raised just fine when I first started it up. It actually raised twice and then it stopped again and wouldn't go up. Again, it'll go down but not up. I said to myself " well, for it to move when I first tried it and then for it to stop again means something" I just don't know what. Surely I have a bad connection some where, right? That's about the time it started raining. Me, being the dainty little fellow I am, decided to stop and ask the experts instead of tearing into it at that time. Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated. 

BLink

A friend has a different brand but it was acting the same way. After a while we discovered that the gear reducer had no gear lube in it.
There are a lot of Old Loggers.
There are a lot of Bold Loggers.
But there ain't a lot of Old, Bold Loggers!

Stihl 034, Stihl 009, Husquvarna 3120, 540 Allis Chalmers Loader, International T1340 Crawler Drott 4in1 Loader, JCB 1400B, Cat IT14F

MartyParsons

Hello,
  You should get a 12 volt test light before we go any further. Way to much guessing here. You should start at the drum switch and move toward the up down motor. Remember where we started this topic? You can check the lights on the H bridge. You could also start at the motor and put the test light on the motor terminals see if you have light when the drum switch is pushed up.

Marty

Thank You Sponsors!