iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TJ 230 valve bank question

Started by gump, November 30, 2017, 06:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gump

I have a TJ230 which I plan to use to tow my forestry trailer & loader ( NOKKA 29) with. I used to own a TJ 208 & had it "plumbed" for this trailer but it was a mess. I could hook it up this way again with a flow divider from the pump 4way return line additional flow controller etc.. But it really gets messy with all the extra hoses.
On my valve bank there are two additional valves that are currently not being used! What would these be used for? Would I be able to hook up into one of these valves to provide hydraulics for my loader? The three working valves operate the blade, steering and winch. The middle two valves are just hooked up with a loop using a short hydraulic hose.

lopet

If it's a closed center hydraulic system I don't see why that shouldn't work. Maybe you can plumb in a pressure gauge
and/or a flow meter to find out if it meets the requirements.

And welcome to the FF
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

mike_belben

Id need to see the machine in person.. Or a hyd schematic to know if those are what they look like.. Just extra spools.  The loop is a little odd, id expect plugs.   If it were a normal A and B work spool the you could use it like an on/off switch to a loader inlet and return but its not a very elegant solution.  (Beware youd want to always select one direction only to avoid pressurizing the exhaust side of the loader spool block.)

A better way imo would be either to purchase a divertor valve that routes all flow either to the skidder or to the loader... (Assuming you are only using one at a time) or to plumb the trailer in series downstream of the skidder valve.  So youd have the pump feed the skidder valve then the exhaust of the skidder feeding to the inlet of the trailer.  Loader exh would return to your tank.  When loader not hooked up you just couple the male and female remote hoses together, this is very normal with pin on attachments.  Be advised that two pressure differential relief valves CANNOT be used in series at same time, they can stack pressure and blow stuff up.  If you will be using a lever from each system simultaneously then dont route in series.  If you are either driving or loading then yes, itll work well.  An overall system relief valve just after the pump is a wise safety feature so that doubled up pressure is impossible.

Id be opposed to a flow divider personally.. Theyre more for a situation where two circuits demand simultaneous fluid from one pump.  Like blade and steer. 
Praise The Lord

lopet

Quote from: lopet on November 30, 2017, 07:12:13 PM
If it's a closed center hydraulic

Of course I meant open center, sorry my mistake.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.

redneck

I saw a 230 timberjack with a valvebank like yours in Ontario while traveling a few winters ago.  It had log forks on the front with a hydraulic clam.  Its possible that bank came from such a machine.  Should be able to tie into that without issue but im no expert.
208 timberjack 353 detroit, case 580 super K backhoe, homemade bandmill, 357xp, 372xpg

snowstorm

The best way is buy a power beyond  end section for that valve bank. From there to your loader valve another hose back to tank and your done

gump

Never heard of that Snowstorm.  Interesting I will look into that. will that run another complete valve bank for my loader?

snowstorm

mike_belben

That is another option if you can identify the valve you have and source the part.  Youd then have two return lines into the tank.  Each valve will have its own dedicated exhaust so that the exhaust side is never under full pump pressure.  They can operate at independant pressures fed by one pump line. IIRC the highest pressure must be closest to pump.  I think the first valve gets priority flow too but am foggy on that. 
Praise The Lord

lopet

Quote from: snowstorm on December 01, 2017, 02:20:51 PM
The best way is buy a power beyond  end section for that valve bank. From there to your loader valve another hose back to tank and your done

That was my understanding, running the loader valve bank from one of those two extra valves on the skidder. But you still need to know if open or closed center, it has to match. I am guessing the skidder is open center and the loader most likely too, but you have to make sure, or it will not work.

mike_belben

It is unlikely but he also has to be sure this TJ wasnt running some sort of rotary hydraulic device in a past life and isnt plumbed all wacky.  I have actually seen quite a few reel mowers where pump line entered into a work port and one section was turned on by moving a detented spool and stuff was looped, pump and exhaust lines ran a motor.  Very confusing. 

If its plumbed normal with tank and pump going to the end cap, and the valve is open center with those looped spools just as extra A and B work ports then one could be detented or held down via footpedal, to faux power beyond to the loader.  This would create a priority to the loader spool block only while the "poyer beyond" spool is fully stroked.  Both relief valves would be utilized, whichever is set lowest would vent first.
Praise The Lord

gump

Update...
Got my trailer and loader hooked up to my skidder this week end!

I ended up plumbing in a flow diverter and flow controller to give me hydraulics to the loader.

Everything works fine except I have to repack the jib boom cylinder as it had a considerable leak.  Not bad after sitting for such a long time.

mike_belben

Great news.  Pull any wood with it yet?
Praise The Lord

thecfarm

I wouldn't mind seeing some action posts. The trailer looks handy.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

gump

Didn't haul any wood yet Mike. Just got the hydraulics hooked up and I had a major leak in one cylinder which I disconnected and going to re-pack with seal kit etc.. Next week end will give it a go. This trailer sat for about 16 years!! I ended up replacing all the steel hydraulic lines and most of the rubber lines ( a few left to swap out). Nice to see life in it again!

mike_belben

Whatd you rig up for a hitch?  Is there a 3rd set of standards or is that back stinger just for the grapple to bum rides on?
Praise The Lord

gump

Hooked on with a Pintle hitch. I had to weld a plate on the back but still allow room to get access to my rear differential. The plate is spaced about 6" out. Should be OK.

Thank You Sponsors!