iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Compact tractor sized forwarding trailer?

Started by John Mc, November 30, 2017, 01:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

Btw, im not saying dont do it or dont have fun in the woods or anything like that.   I am all for that.  But if you need a community owned piece of equipment it means no one person has the cash for it or theyd buy it alone.  So from that perspective i say, go have your fun with what youve got.  I have done what youre talking about with stuff other people literally scrapped, and i have enjoyed building it just as much as working it.  Maybe even more.  Find some junk, whip something up with your buddies and drink beer.  Go try it, break it, drink more beer, change it and try to break it again. 

Praise The Lord

John Mc

Quote from: mike_belben on December 02, 2017, 01:25:38 PM
Only people with spare money can consider a $15k trailer to get a few trees because economically its just preposterous.  But then again so are vacations.  Yet theres nothing wrong with vacations if you can afford them. 

I guess i get your goals now.

Well, you sort of get the goals. That's exactly why no one of us would buy the trailer. We simply don't have enough need of it to justify paying that kind of money. Some of us would use it a lot more than others, but none of us are in this full time. No way I could justify $15K for my own use, however, I could certainly justify $2,500.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

John Mc

Quote from: mike_belben on December 02, 2017, 01:49:50 PM
Btw, im not saying dont do it or dont have fun in the woods or anything like that.   I am all for that.  But if you need a community owned piece of equipment it means no one person has the cash for it or theyd buy it alone.  So from that perspective i say, go have your fun with what youve got.  I have done what youre talking about with stuff other people literally scrapped, and i have enjoyed building it just as much as working it.  Maybe even more.  Find some junk, whip something up with your buddies and drink beer.  Go try it, break it, drink more beer, change it and try to break it again.

Nice pics. Hard to believe that little thing is moving those logs.

At least two of those involved could afford to buy it, but that's not the same thing as justifying spending the money for their own individual use (and one of those with the $$ also has the least experience and least need. For him, it's just something for fun: "I want to make something out of this log that came form my own land", and he's hoping to learn a bit from the others involved). 5 or 6 of us could keep it busy and get enough out of it to have it make some sense.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

DDW_OR

I agree that is amazing.

John Mc, i did a quick search on the Vermont craigslist and found some interesting items
use some of these searches
Logging
grapple -hay -bail
crane
hoist
hydraulic

set the price to 2 and 3500

FYI, i got into trouble linking to listings so that is why i did not.
"let the machines do the work"

DDW_OR

saw this

Homemade skidders

this gave me the idea that a pickup could be converted to a small logging truck
"let the machines do the work"

Skeans1

Quote from: John Mc on December 02, 2017, 02:06:21 PM
Quote from: mike_belben on December 02, 2017, 01:49:50 PM

Nice pics. Hard to believe that little thing is moving those logs.

At least two of those involved could afford to buy it, but that's not the same thing as justifying spending the money for their own individual use (and one of those with the $$ also has the least experience and least need. For him, it's just something for fun: "I want to make something out of this log that came form my own land", and he's hoping to learn a bit from the others involved). 5 or 6 of us could keep it busy and get enough out of it to have it make some sense.
Just a quick question how large of logs are you expecting to pickup, as well as how much weight are you going to pack? Only reason I ask we have a Farmi forwarder trailer that we've used here and there to do road clean ups ect with on a 90 horse Deere tractor it's no forwarder or shovel to put it nicely does it work for light stuff yes, now to the bad the brakes being hydraulic on ours are a pain they're either locked up or you free wheel, then the turning tongue has its place but most of the time it's pain, the loader is on the light side and the landing gear love to sink they need wider pads.

thecfarm

That poor little JD.  :o
Need to shorten up a truck for it to really shine in the works,getting a truck turned around in the woods ssome room.
There is a guy just a few miles from me that shorten up a Ford truck,for a plow truck. The rear tires are just about 3 feet behind the cab. I stopped in to see how he did it. I forgot now,but it survived last winter.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Puffergas

Make it yourself.

This winter I'll convert it to a forwarder. It runs on charcoal, that is what the tanks are for.

Maybe you need a portable mill, swing or chain.

Get a light weight trailer or build one. Use a winch to load in the woods. Then use a road machine to deliver it. Keep your cash for something that will not loose value.
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

gspren

I think a good (log rite) log arch would be enough for occasional log retrieval.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

John Mc

Quote from: Skeans1 on December 02, 2017, 03:24:16 PM
Just a quick question how large of logs are you expecting to pickup, as well as how much weight are you going to pack?

We're hoping to be able to haul 5000# or so, but some of the tow vehicles probably won't be able to handle that in the rougher terrain, so they'll be using a lighter load (or waiting for someone with a more capable vehicle to do the pulling). I suspect the log size will be limited by the loader capacity. On these smaller trailers, you can only pick up 1000 - 1500# depending on which one we get.

John Mc

Puffergas - finding a trailer and setting it up for parbuckling or using a DanG Deadheader log lifter is still in the running. If we go that way, I'll probably just own it myself or with one of the guys who are in the landowner group. Just trying to consider all the options before we decide.

gspren - We've already got access to an arch (well, some of us do). We're looking for a step up from an arch for the times we have more volume to move

Skeans1

Quote from: John Mc on December 02, 2017, 07:21:44 PM
Quote from: Skeans1 on December 02, 2017, 03:24:16 PM
Just a quick question how large of logs are you expecting to pickup, as well as how much weight are you going to pack?

We're hoping to be able to haul 5000# or so, but some of the tow vehicles probably won't be able to handle that in the rougher terrain, so they'll be using a lighter load (or waiting for someone with a more capable vehicle to do the pulling). I suspect the log size will be limited by the loader capacity. On these smaller trailers, you can only pick up 1000 - 1500# depending on which one we get.
I'll look around at the elima film there was a perfect machine for your application I'm not sure of the price but if I find it I'll post the video.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

roger 4400

John, if you want go on my photo gallery and have a look what we could log with an ATV. on a very hilly trails.
21,000 board feet of wood, to build our house. The largest was a spruce 21 in. wide, 17 ft long......we also got some oak 17 ft long 25 to 30 in. wide...that were log with a D6 bulldozer  :D. 
Good luck
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

John Mc

Mike & Skeans1

Is this what you are talking about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqsdF-fBO-0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HyLsgFdEpU

Looks like a great machine, but the price SK550,000 (Swedish Krona) amounts to over US$65,000. A good bit out of out range.

TKehl

Last night as I was explaining to my wife a second time why the junk forklift I drug home was such a good deal... :), I realized another nice bit about it.

A hydraulic drive axle!  Or at least I think it's hydraulic drive. 

If you are thinking build instead of buy, would be worth looking at some junk equipment or equipment salvage yards.  A combine rear axle could give you a steerable powered axle for tight trails...

I've also thought that an old 4x4 hydrostat combine stripped down and reversed would make a good redneck forwarder, but may be too wide for a lot of people. 

There's also a thread on here somewhere where someone built a small forwarder out of an old ditch witch trencher.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Puffergas

Jeff

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Skeans1

Quote from: John Mc on December 03, 2017, 08:55:00 AM
Mike & Skeans1

Is this what you are talking about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqsdF-fBO-0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HyLsgFdEpU

Looks like a great machine, but the price SK550,000 (Swedish Krona) amounts to over US$65,000. A good bit out of out range.
This is more what I was thinking of https://www.mascus.com/forestry/used-skidders/kranman-t3000/eihnalct.html

mike_belben

Bigblue12v on arboristsite i think built one of the best trencher skidders ive seen.  For their size trenchers are extremely potent because they use narrowed truck axles and weigh a ton.  I have a burkeen b30 project for my next mini skidder.  Also a ditchwitch 350sx.  Very specialized parts you cant find cheaply anywhere else.

Alstors are cool but i could have a knuckleboom, skidder, dozer, truck and trailer for that. 
Praise The Lord

lopet

Bigblue12v is member here also, yes he has built some impressive stuff.

The only advantage those homemade forwarders have over a two wheel drive tractor and trailer is, that they turn a little sharper and have a bit more traction on the drive axle. Probably fine for a couple of cords.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

John Mc

Quote from: Skeans1 on December 03, 2017, 08:41:09 PM
This is more what I was thinking of https://www.mascus.com/forestry/used-skidders/kranman-t3000/eihnalct.html

Looks interesting - or the T4500. 

The Kranman web site doesn't seem to post a lot of specs on their equipment. Any idea how long the loading area is on the T3000 (or the T4500, for that matter)?

Skeans1

Quote from: mike_belben on December 03, 2017, 08:55:35 PM
Bigblue12v on arboristsite i think built one of the best trencher skidders ive seen.  For their size trenchers are extremely potent because they use narrowed truck axles and weigh a ton.  I have a burkeen b30 project for my next mini skidder.  Also a ditchwitch 350sx.  Very specialized parts you cant find cheaply anywhere else.

Alstors are cool but i could have a knuckleboom, skidder, dozer, truck and trailer for that.
If you look at the link I put up that's a much cheaper option

Skeans1

Quote from: John Mc on December 03, 2017, 10:58:00 PM
Quote from: Skeans1 on December 03, 2017, 08:41:09 PM

Looks interesting - or the T4500. 

The Kranman web site doesn't seem to post a lot of specs on their equipment. Any idea how long the loading area is on the T3000 (or the T4500, for that matter)?
No idea but found a video of the smaller one that's self contained it looks like it'd do 16's but I don't think you'd be doing 20's.
https://youtu.be/LGpqN_OWEgI

Puffergas

Another advantage of the  2wd tractor forwarder hack is what I call the wiggle factor. If it is somewhat stuck there is a fair chance that a wiggle, by steering left and right, will free it. A lot of old tractors with patched front ends and worn out steering boxes out there, also less desk desirable narrow front ends. Although brakes would be nice.
Jeff

chubby

Hey John, by what you're describing you want to do I'd have a serious look at the FARMA 4.2-6 (site sponsor too)
It's a 14' telescopic boom that uses a 4 cylinder rack and pinion turnhouse. The trailer has a capacity of 6 tons, the length is adjustable and comes with metal encased foldable brake lights/ flashers.
http://forsmw.com/forestry-trailer-with-crane/ct-42-6?group=prod_prod_grp-s1%2F26

Shoot me a pm if you want.

Thank You Sponsors!