The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Compact tractor sized forwarding trailer?  (Read 1724 times)

Offline TKehl

• Certified Contrarian
    • Kehlhof Ranch
Re: Compact tractor sized forwarding trailer?
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2017, 10:03:35 am »
Last night as I was explaining to my wife a second time why the junk forklift I drug home was such a good deal... :), I realized another nice bit about it.

A hydraulic drive axle!  Or at least I think it's hydraulic drive. 

If you are thinking build instead of buy, would be worth looking at some junk equipment or equipment salvage yards.  A combine rear axle could give you a steerable powered axle for tight trails...

I've also thought that an old 4x4 hydrostat combine stripped down and reversed would make a good redneck forwarder, but may be too wide for a lot of people. 

There's also a thread on here somewhere where someone built a small forwarder out of an old ditch witch trencher.
Lucas 6-13+slabber, Mr. Sawmill bandmill, orange chainsaws, JD SSL, Case Backhoe, farm tractors, trailers, and 150ish acres of trees.  Fledgling woodshop with CNC router, laser engraver, Woodmaster 712, and a Berlin 108 moulder (project).  Oh, and a lovely (patient) wife and four offbearers.

Offline Puffergas

• Puffergas
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2017, 08:21:20 pm »
Here ya go:

Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, IHC 300 Utility, Timberjack 225D, Burg Bandsaw mill

Offline Skeans1

• I'm new!
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2017, 08:41:09 pm »
Mike & Skeans1

Is this what you are talking about?

Looks like a great machine, but the price SK550,000 (Swedish Krona) amounts to over US$65,000. A good bit out of out range.
This is more what I was thinking of https://www.mascus.com/forestry/used-skidders/kranman-t3000/eihnalct.html

Offline mike_belben

• Pulp Friction
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2017, 08:55:35 pm »
Bigblue12v on arboristsite i think built one of the best trencher skidders ive seen.  For their size trenchers are extremely potent because they use narrowed truck axles and weigh a ton.  I have a burkeen b30 project for my next mini skidder.  Also a ditchwitch 350sx.  Very specialized parts you cant find cheaply anywhere else.

Alstors are cool but i could have a knuckleboom, skidder, dozer, truck and trailer for that. 

Offline lopet

• Senior Member x2
  • Do not climb any higher your comportable falling !
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2017, 10:27:50 pm »
Bigblue12v is member here also, yes he has built some impressive stuff.

The only advantage those homemade forwarders have over a two wheel drive tractor and trailer is, that they turn a little sharper and have a bit more traction on the drive axle. Probably fine for a couple of cords.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Online John Mc

• Senior Member x2
  • NH TC33D w/ forestry mods, Uniforest 35E winch
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2017, 10:58:00 pm »
This is more what I was thinking of https://www.mascus.com/forestry/used-skidders/kranman-t3000/eihnalct.html

Looks interesting - or the T4500. 

The Kranman web site doesn't seem to post a lot of specs on their equipment. Any idea how long the loading area is on the T3000 (or the T4500, for that matter)?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline Skeans1

• I'm new!
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2017, 10:58:23 pm »
Bigblue12v on arboristsite i think built one of the best trencher skidders ive seen.  For their size trenchers are extremely potent because they use narrowed truck axles and weigh a ton.  I have a burkeen b30 project for my next mini skidder.  Also a ditchwitch 350sx.  Very specialized parts you cant find cheaply anywhere else.

Alstors are cool but i could have a knuckleboom, skidder, dozer, truck and trailer for that.
If you look at the link I put up that's a much cheaper option

Offline Skeans1

• I'm new!
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2017, 11:15:30 pm »

Looks interesting - or the T4500. 

The Kranman web site doesn't seem to post a lot of specs on their equipment. Any idea how long the loading area is on the T3000 (or the T4500, for that matter)?
No idea but found a video of the smaller one that's self contained it looks like it'd do 16's but I don't think you'd be doing 20's.

Offline Puffergas

• Puffergas
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2017, 06:56:16 pm »
Another advantage of the  2wd tractor forwarder hack is what I call the wiggle factor. If it is somewhat stuck there is a fair chance that a wiggle, by steering left and right, will free it. A lot of old tractors with patched front ends and worn out steering boxes out there, also less desk desirable narrow front ends. Although brakes would be nice.
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, IHC 300 Utility, Timberjack 225D, Burg Bandsaw mill

Offline chubby

• I'm new!
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2017, 10:32:35 pm »
Hey John, by what youre describing you want to do Id have a serious look at the FARMA 4.2-6 (site sponsor too)
Its a 14 telescopic boom that uses a 4 cylinder rack and pinion turnhouse. The trailer has a capacity of 6 tons, the length is adjustable and comes with metal encased foldable brake lights/ flashers.
http://forsmw.com/forestry-trailer-with-crane/ct-42-6?group=prod_prod_grp-s1%2F26

Shoot me a pm if you want.

Online John Mc

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2017, 11:08:46 pm »
Chubby - thanks for the link. I looked at the Farma offerings and I'd love to own one, but I'm afraid they are just too big for what we need. We'd be happy with a 3 ton capacity (and could live with 2.5 ton payload). I had actually contacted someone asking if any smaller units were planned for the future, but was told that is not in your plans.

Any chance you guys are going to be at the Northeast Forest Products Equipment Expo in Essex Jct, Vermont on May 11-12? I'm going to be checking out equipment there, if we haven;t already made the leap. It's usually quite a show.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline Skeans1

• I'm new!
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2017, 12:55:24 am »
Chubby - thanks for the link. I looked at the Farma offerings and I'd love to own one, but I'm afraid they are just too big for what we need. We'd be happy with a 3 ton capacity (and could live with 2.5 ton payload). I had actually contacted someone asking if any smaller units were planned for the future, but was told that is not in your plans.

Any chance you guys are going to be at the Northeast Forest Products Equipment Expo in Essex Jct, Vermont on May 11-12? I'm going to be checking out equipment there, if we haven;t already made the leap. It's usually quite a show.
It's cool show I've been to it once in the early 2000's is a different kind of show then what we get here in the PNW is nice seeing some smaller equipment for once.

Online John Mc

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2017, 08:17:48 am »

It's cool show I've been to it once in the early 2000's is a different kind of show then what we get here in the PNW is nice seeing some smaller equipment for once.

Yeah. I've been several times, since I live about 30 miles from the Essex Junction location. It always draws a good crowd.