The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Too Heavy ??  (Read 2361 times)

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
Too Heavy ??
« on: November 29, 2017, 12:01:05 pm »
Still standing and this White Oak tree is available to me, for free.  The problem is that it is......

about 34" DBH which would put a 16' log weighing close to 6K lbs.  A Kubota skid steer would load it onto the sawmill, but would not be available to assist with the turning.  This would clearly be the heaviest log that I have ever had on the sawmill and I have my doubts whether the log clamp and claw in tandem would be able to turn it.

Sure, I could buck it into two 8's, but I have no need for 8' lumber.  I am sure that it would contain some amazing QS lumber but I am not in that market.

I have a couple of weeks to think about it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline DanMc

• Thankful for this forum!
Re: Too Heavy ??
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 12:23:09 pm »
Wow, that's one beast of a tree.  My largest log to date was a 24" pine 16 footer and that was one bugger for me to work with.  But it sure did produce a lot of lumber.  Could not have done it without the JD4600 tractor and forks.  A 34" oak log at 16 feet would require larger equipment, or would need outside help.

I find that pushing the limits adds a great deal to the learning, but boy does it eat up a lot of time and requires a lot of very careful thought. 
Woodland HM126 mill
JD 4600 tractor
28 acres of trees.

Offline uler3161

• Full Member x2
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 12:29:50 pm »
This summer I put a ponderosa pine on my lt40 that I think averaged about 42" diameter. I have pictures of measurements on the large end of 42" and 45". It was 17 feet long with virtually no taper. The log weight calculator says almost 7400 lbs. I was able to turn using claw turner and my forklift. At 34" I think the claw turner would be in a little better location to turn. Not sure whether the weight would be an issue. Your mill should be a lot more powerful than mine, so I would guess it shouldn't be a problem.
1989 LT40HD, 12ft extension, WoodMaster 718, Fordson Major Diesel, Champ CB40 Forklift

Dan

Offline mike_belben

• Pulp Friction
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 12:34:07 pm »
Might sound crazy but could you halve it with a chainsaw first?  Seems to be how the big trees are lugged out of the amazon on foot

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 12:41:36 pm »
We took the Alaskan mill over to a friends house who has a bandmill, he had a poplar that was too big. It was faster and more accurate to break it down with that than freehand splitting on with a saw, which isn't that bad either really.
He's running half our kerf... we'll work it out later, a good win/win  ;D

There's a WO 54" at the flare we'll take the lucas and slabber to next week hopefully.

Offline francismilker

• Udderly happy!
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 01:04:53 pm »
MM,
If you're in for adventure go for it. However, I've found with my small mill I'd rather saw two small ones that would equal the production of one big one. (1+1=2). Just my two cents!
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

Offline alan gage

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 01:18:11 pm »
Seems simple enough. Host a forum gathering. Everyone bring food to share and a cant hook.

Alan

Online Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • My homepage
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 01:20:09 pm »
My approach on logs like this is to quarter with a chainsaw.  It solves many problems. And if you are quartering anyway, it saves s bunch of struggling, and relieves some of the stress.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 01:24:51 pm »
I have sawn many 16 foot 36" - 38" butt SYP logs which would weigh in at about 5K pounds or probably less.  They had some taper.  This thing has virtually no taper.

Heck it may be hollow and no good anyway, but time will tell.   smiley_headscratch  I am just hating the thought of letting it get away and going to a landfill.  I doubt that chainsaw quartering it is in my future.

So here she stands.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Weekend_Sawyer

• Senior Member x2
  • Jack of all trades, master of fun
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 01:49:02 pm »
I like the idea of splitting it with a chainsaw mill.
If I were closer or not working so darn much...

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe. ... and it looks like my dream will come true!

Offline GDinMaine

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 02:14:52 pm »
I sawed some monster Red Oak a few years back. One was so big that my mill (LT40 Super) could not lift it. The customer - a very skilled heavy equipment operator - put it on the mill with his excavator. It took me 4+ hours to saw that bad boy. After that I told him that was the last such huge log I will ever saw. The log was uglier than a frog's behind and didn't yield much good lumber anyway. He had three more that went onto the firewood pile.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Offline drobertson

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 02:17:09 pm »
I like the idea of making 8' logs, unless you just need 16 foot stock, and if this is the case,, why Q-saw?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Offline campwags

• Proud Timber King 2000 Owner
    • Camp Wags Pet Resort
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 02:25:13 pm »
Magicman,

You stated:"Sure, I could buck it into two 8's, but I have no need for 8' lumber.  I am sure that it would contain some amazing QS lumber but I am not in that market."

What do you normally cut Oak into?  What size?  I cut my first Red Oak and it was beautiful...  I cut 1X6 12-14' and 1X4 same lengths.  That is just what worked out best with what I was sawing.
Life is for Living, Loving and Laughing; Not Crying and Complaining!

TK 2000, Woodmaster 718, Kioti DK65s w/Farmi JL501, Kioti NX4510 and a Kubota KX 41-3 excavator, Japa firewood processor and an assortment of trailers, solar kiln and out buildings.

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2017, 02:43:20 pm »
Better call Jake.
Kubota L-4200, Ford 8N, S-10 4WD Beater truck, Chainsaw, Bush Hog, couple ATV's and 141 acres of trees I'm not sure what to do with but I sure do have fun and enjoy being in the woods!
The First 50 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Offline Stuart Caruk

• Woodmizer Stationary timber processing
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2017, 03:43:00 pm »
I'm pretty sure your mill is bigger than my LT35Hyd was, but I've milled several green firs that pushed the limits of my mill to the max weighing right around 9000 Pounds. (My crane has a scale). My 6000# lift truck wouldn't touch them, and they tipped my T320 tracked Bobcat that can move way heavier items than my lift truck.

Getting them on the mill was simple enough with my log loader and log deck. Turning them as you suspect is the hard part. By hand... forget it without 2 or 3 stout Canadian friends, 4 or 5 if only my American friends are around... The log turner would turn a well balanced log with no problems, other than the silly fact that it never had enough stroke to flip the log 90 degrees. I always had to start to rotate the log, balance it with the log clamp, regrab and continue. The biggest problem is that the turner always wanted to swing under the log to try to lift it from that position, which it simply couldn't do. I keep a bunch of thin chunks of wood that I bust to jam in the log turner to hold it open. Then snap and fall out once the log starts to roll. I suspect your overthinking it, as you'll likely have no issues.

I sold my LT35 and went for the 450 because of the larger logs I typically have to work with. Rumor has it that it's finally supposed to be built next week.

Go grab the logs and bring them home. You'll be fine.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker, Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • There's a lot more to it.
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2017, 04:18:23 pm »
Seems simple enough. Host a forum gathering. Everyone bring food to share and a cant hook.

Alan
Save it for the Sycamore Project next year? :laugh:
Hobby Hardwood Alabama.com
LT40 Diesel Hydraulic, Stihl 028, MS440, MS660, 2 Kilns

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2017, 04:45:14 pm »
That is a beauty.
A chunk of my shoulder was a long cant hook on a healthy red oak log by myself. That mechanical advantage lever thing turns into swinging back fast and hard when you lose. "To the moon Alice", be careful with those honkers.

Offline DelawhereJoe

• Trapped in Delawhere
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2017, 05:05:20 pm »
Sounds like you need to invest in a chainsaw mill and slab that bad boy into live edge slabs. Everyone always needs a reason to buy another chainsaw....right.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Offline goose63

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2017, 05:52:38 pm »

Linn if ya need some help I'm do for a road trip  8)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2017, 06:38:59 pm »
I've sawn 38"x16' Red Oak a few times!

My poor old mill loaded and turned them with no issues.

Just be systematic as you are moving the log on the mill, they are heavy and they can kill!

I really don't think you will have problems with the log, Lynn!

You'll never know unless you make the attempt!
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider
Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.
I LOVE MY SAWMILL