iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buick-Powered Sawmills

Started by wascator, November 28, 2017, 08:55:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

No offence taken mate, I was just too lazy to look it up. Today there are really no big gasoline engines today. I had a 1959 White dump truck with a flathead gas engine that would have done yeomen duty on a mill but I was too cheap to feed it. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ArkansasRick

Ran my 54" circle mill with an inline 292 Chevy engine for a year or so. Found a 2 stroke turbo charged 471 Detroit and never regretted the change.
Rick

Al_Smith

In the little podunk town of Harrod Ohio I grew up in the local hardwood mill originally used a big Allis-Chalmers in line 4 cylinder power unit .It was not a tractor engine ,much larger .That thing would really roar  going through a big oak log .It was later replaced with a 75 HP three phase electric motor .
Chevy 292 and Ford 300's were hardy engines used in a lot of power applications also Ford 429 V8's .

Al_Smith

The most odd mill I ever saw was in Roundhead Ohio .It used a D2 Caterpillar belted up .That crawler had never left that mill until the mill was  scrapped out,never pulled a plow just used for power .The tracks etc looked brand new .Sadly the guy who  bought the crawler let it sit in a woods to rust up .Might still be there as far as I know .

Crusarius

I have a couple straight 6's out of jeeps that I bet would make great sawmill power plants. I think they are both 258's but they are torque monsters. If I was going to setup a stationary setup it may be worth using. Right now they are just sitting. anyone want them? :)

moodnacreek

Any body run a v6 gmc  [gas] from the sixties ?

wascator

GMC in the '60s had a V-12 as well. All were truck engines so probably were torque monsters.

Al_Smith

They called that V12 gasser a twin 6 .That monster was 702 cubic inches .Must have had pistons the size of a coffee can . :D

Al_Smith

GMC also had a 503 in line 6 .It was used on fire trucks among other things .It was claimed to have more low end torque than a 427 V8 .Those huge gasoline engines fell out of grace with diesels .You couldn't afford to run those big gassers today .

Kbeitz

This rod had TWO 12 cylinders engines in it...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

starmac

I do not recall ever seeing the v 12 gas rigs in a truck, I have seen them on wells. The logger I haul for still has a buzzin dozen in a log truck. The thing is hard to feed though.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Darrel

My 1971 Jeep CJ5 has a v6 made my GM.  225 CI odd fire.  That thing has a 32 lb. flywheel and tons of low end torque.  It would make a lousy sawmill engine though because by time you get the rpm up to where the horse power is, the torque drops way off.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Al_Smith

The V6 GMC's came out early 60's under the idea they had the low end torque of an inline 6 with the RPMs of a V8 .They didn't .They had big bearings and lots of torque but not like an inline .They certainly liked gasoline though .You have to remember the time period .

Don_Papenburg

I have a 401 magnum with just over 500 miles on a complete overhaul . it is in a cabover jimmy with a sandblasting rig on the back .  And a half tank of ga...varnish now .

Kb I like your old Buick , I bought a 37Pontiac that was black . One day I took it to the carwash droped in my quarter and started spraying . all of a sudden something big and black flew through the air .  About 20 quarters later I drove away with a tan Pontiac.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

moodnacreek

D.P.  An820 diesel on the sawmill; I'm jealous.

Al_Smith

A gent I worked for in high school replaced his aging '53 GMC one ton which had a 235 in line with a 1965 with, I think a 351 V6 .He already had a 1957 GMC with a Pontiac 347 V8 and a 4 barrel .There was no way that V6 even came close to that Pontiac engine .It would lug hard but it just could not haul the mail the way that '57 could .
In the summers we hauled a 7,000 pound sheep dipping rig and 500 gallons of water through the hills of Pa,West Va,up state Ny as well as southern Ohio .We had to do a lot of down shifting in that '65 .Fact a gear lower than that Pontiac on the same hill .Can you imagine today having a 16 year old run those hills with that much load ?That was me some 53 years ago . 8)

Remle

Quote from: moodnacreek on December 06, 2017, 01:07:44 PM
Any body run a v6 gmc  [gas] from the sixties ?
Yes, I had a 2 ton GMC dump truck with one which is long gone. However I do have a 478 cui. V-6 Toro-Flow Diesel, that came out of a boat in Florida. I had dreams of installing it in one of my trucks as did Dudley Wooley of Wabasso, FL.back in the early 80's. A news paper from Wabasso stated that he was able to get an estimated 60 MPG.

FloridaMike

Arkansas Rick,
If I remember correctly, it takes a roots type supercharger to run a 2 stroke Detroit.  Turbos don't make enough boost at startup to force feed a 2 stroke oil burner.  The hot rod guys took to re-purposing the larger 6-71 and 8-71 "blowers" for gas engines. 
Mike

starmac

If I am not mistaken, all 2 stroke detroits had a blower, some also had turbos too though. A 318 with a turbo was called a 350.

TKehl

Yes, the two strokes need a blower to run.  Special piston or block design as well if I remember right.

I worked for a company that made at least some of the blowers for EMD.  It was really winding down when i worked there.  At that point, environmental regs meant new ones hadn't gone in trucks or domestic equipment for a while.  However, government and military were exempt, so we still made quite a few to support Iraq and Afganistan operations while I was there.   ;)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Al_Smith

The Detroit  types  was really a scavenging device not so much a pressure device .
Some years back we installed two EMD diesel generators that had 20 cylinder ,5,000 HP engines that were turboed .Seems to me there were 5 turbos .It might have had an electric booster for start up ,can't remember except they were large .

moodnacreek

The gmc gas v12 was 2 v6's as I remember . I don't think it was done with the toro flow v6 diesel.  In a 671 owners  book I have it shows single ,twin and quad in line 671's. Didn't Brockway and autocar  have some v 12's that where v671's coupled ?

wascator

The 2-stroke needs scavenging air flow to start, and a turbo won't push air until the engine is running (making exhaust which powers the turbo blower). The Roots blower was geared to the crank so it scavenged enough at cranking speed to start.
We had a Fairbanks-Morse opposed-piston Diesel which had been converted to natural gas. It had the Roots blower removed and a turbocharger added. We installed an electric cottonseed fan in the intake with a Y and a check flap, to provide air to get it started.
Hey: whatever works...

Al_Smith

I never paid much attention to the more modern versions of the Detroits .Of course the sub diesels of that make,GM 16 278A had roots type blowers .However the newer smaller GMC V12 71 had turbos .What was used to fire those I have no idea unless it is an electric blower .At any rate those generators started right up with no hesitation .

starmac

The 12v71's that I have been around had blowers only in trucks, I have looked at some in terex scrapers that had the blowers, plus dual turbos.

Thank You Sponsors!