Modifing a cant hook

Started by rjwoelk, November 28, 2017, 09:45:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjwoelk

What are the rest of you folks doing to keep from putting holes in your cants with a cant hook? It has to grip. Had some success with just a board behind the ends but lots of time it slips. Perhaps modify the hook end with a steel 2x2 square that would have a rubber cap?
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

WV Sawmiller

Sorry but that's how they're designed to work. If I am worrying about holes in the boards I hook it at the very end of the cant where any residual holes will likely get trimmed off anyway.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Dave Shepard

That's what I do, as well. It's not often with hydraulics, but sometimes I have to give an odd shaped cant a little help.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

John Mc

I wonder about making a replacement hook that has a flat metal pad with a few short spikes on it for grip. If the pad were mounted so that it could swivel to lay flat against the surface of the cant, it seems as though it might work. The several shorter spikes would give some grip, but the flat pad would spread the load and prevent them from penetrating very deeply.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Crusarius

you need a rubber band wrench. But in a 60" version with nylon strapping. :)

Rooster

This design uses hard rubber roller skate stoppers instead of points...

I have not made a prototype yet.

Peace, Rooster

"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

rjwoelk

Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Don P

Take a look at the pads on this grapple;
http://www.baileysonline.com/Forestry-Woodcutting/Skidding-Tongs-Brush-Grubbers/Brush-Grubbers/Heavy-Duty-Brush-Grubber.axd

I wonder if I could slip these onto someone's slasher without him knowing  :D

John Mc

Quote from: Don P on December 12, 2017, 08:50:00 AM
Take a look at the pads on this grapple;
http://www.baileysonline.com/Forestry-Woodcutting/Skidding-Tongs-Brush-Grubbers/Brush-Grubbers/Heavy-Duty-Brush-Grubber.axd

I wonder if I could slip these onto someone's slasher without him knowing  :D

Those pads are like what I was picturing in reply #3, except I was thinking to add something to let them pivot a bit so they could lay flat against the cant. A ball & socket is one possibility, but I'm thinking it probably doesn't need to pivot left and right much, it just needs to go up and down a bit (I can't remember what you call the kind of joint I'm thinking about.)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

moodnacreek

On a virgin cedar for natural edge, not banged up already, rare indeed, try to hook in the end trim area that is often cut off.