iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buying a Log Truck

Started by Corysansburn, November 12, 2017, 10:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skeans1

Quote from: Corysansburn on November 12, 2017, 10:08:40 PM
I'm looking for some advice from experienced log truck drivers. I live just east of Woodland,Wa where logging and mills are big. I'm looking to buy a late 70s early 80s Pete or Kenworth no drop axle with long log 2 stage reach trailer. I know a lot of loggers in my area and they tell me there is no money in it. Is this true ? I believe there wrong if the buisness is ran right and your on good jobs with a good truck you'll make a good living not get rich or anything not looking for that. Also what the easiest way you guys line up work. How do you get on Weyerhaeuser jobs?
I'm from your neck of the woods and do thinning for Weyco on the other side of the river one way is to haul for a contractor or two is get on the dispatch. I know C&C in Kelso is looking for trucks or drivers as well.

Skeans1

Quote from: Corysansburn on November 16, 2017, 10:50:37 AM
Grizzly, That truck setup is exactly what I am looking for. It is the most common setup around the northwest besides Mule bunks.
Mike_belben
The cliff and logging roads around these parts get pretty steep. You get used to driving on these roads though sometimes you'll be just out hunting in your pickup driving next to a 200ft cliff with your tire a ft away from the edge. I've been told by some log truck drivers it's the best experience ever and that adrenaline rush keeps them going.
Looking at truck we run two short logger inserts on our long logs that work pretty well but if we were hauling for someone I'd set up a short logger any day the money is better, plus they can be converted to a long logger easy.

starmac

Skeans1 tell me more about these inserts that work for a quick change from short to long. I set my truck up for short logs right now, but will have to change back over to long logs in the next week or so.
It is the opposite here, long pays better, but we had a short log deal when there was no long log haul happening.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Skeans1

Quote from: starmac on November 28, 2017, 08:26:44 AM
Skeans1 tell me more about these inserts that work for a quick change from short to long. I set my truck up for short logs right now, but will have to change back over to long logs in the next week or so.
It is the opposite here, long pays better, but we had a short log deal when there was no long log haul happening.
General makes the inserts so does Lincoln and I think better weigh does as far as what you can do with them it's a toss up since the trailer is always down plus you need a shovel to yank it out.

starmac

OK, It would be a no go for me then, if the trailer is always down, I could not get in to load without the weight of the trailer at times, been there and tried that.

Skeans1

Quote from: starmac on November 28, 2017, 02:37:06 PM
OK, It would be a no go for me then, if the trailer is always down, I could not get in to load without the weight of the trailer at times, been there and tried that.
That's one problem with that setup makes me miss having a hopped up mule train plus it's faster to load one.

starmac

I just built 2 bunks and a trailer ride that easily bolts on and use a pup. It requires another trailer but only a couple of hours to change back over.

Thank You Sponsors!