iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need help - thought I knew what this was

Started by Southside, November 24, 2017, 12:26:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southside

So, today this came across the mill and I thought I knew what it was, then I opened it up and had my doubts.  The more I got into the log, the more I wondered just what it was.  A new turbo did find a 16 penny nail starting about 4" under the bark,  >:( so I tossed a 10 back on that has been around plenty of times in case there were any more, thus the score marks on the lumber.  I appreciate the help. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

LeeB

The rays say oak to me. Black oak maybe going by the coloration. I'm often wrong though.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

Definitely one of the red oaks.  Could be one of several species, and like Lee says, black oak is one of them, but a red oak for sure.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

That's what I knew it was before I opened it up, I was sawing oak for an order.  Couple things I can add - when sawing, and after, it has zero smell to it, no sour at all.  The metal stain around the nail maybe went 1/2" in any direction, and it feels way too light for oak - even spalted.  Not sure how to describe the lumber surface but up close it looks more like soft maple than oak does.  I will see if my potato (camera phone) will get a decent closeup of what I am trying to describe.   The ray flecks are short, like red oak. 

Thanks
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

bitternut

Southside

Ok - here are a couple more photos if this helps.  The leatherman is pointing at the cutoff nail and you can see how little stain there was. 

And this one is as close as I could get.  With the naked eye you can see some minor tear out - similar to birch I guess I would say.  Today I sawed some red oak that was only heart wood, been on the ground for over 5 years, and she still had the sour smell to her and no tear fuzz on the surface. 

I never did see this when it was standing as it was a yard tree.... oh, excuse me, an "Urban renewable fiber resource organism" that a buddy of mine with a tree service, I mean  - "Living Carbon Sequester Surgeon Service" deposited into my log..... ugg, "up-cycle" pile.   :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Southside

Quote from: bitternut on November 24, 2017, 12:59:25 PM
Spalted Big Tooth Aspen  ???

Bitternut,

I just looked Big Tooth Aspen up as we don't see it around here that I know of and yea - wood database pretty well describes what I am looking at.  Now to market it in a way that covers the cost of that turbo.   8)
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

low_48

Was it standing dead? The way that sapwood looks, it's been dead for a while.

Southside

My buddy has a yard tree pile he drops them onto for me and I use them for unique orders, spalted wood, that sort of stuff.  This one was probably on that pile for 10 months to a year based on it's location is my guess, I don't know what its status was when it was felled. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!